Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
South bend, Indiana
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 8:13 am
Hi, Qs about South bend, Indiana (not sure how up to date older threads are)
1)Where do the frum families live? (name of street I can put into zillow)
2)Is there a good childrens hospital in the area? if we would need to go to Chicago, do they accept Medicaid from Indiana?
3) is the community growing? does it have an active kollel?

Thank you

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 9:48 am
bump

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:00 am
The community grows there is a kollel with many young families.
Try Twyckenham for houses.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:05 am
Crookshanks wrote:

Thank you.
Any idea about the healthcare?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:07 am
Crookshanks wrote:

just checked zillow. only one house on the market that is 1.6 million. is the market very dry now?

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:13 am
I live in Chicago. I think if your kid has a highly specialized medical condition you should call the University of Chicago Comer Childrens Hospital and the local South Bend hospital and compare what they offer. Its an hour and a half ish to get to Comer. Its part of the University of Chicago and its one of the best in the country. My guess is that is really depends on the medical needs.

Its a really nice community I know families who have moved from Chicago to SB due to the lower cost of living and smaller community feel and they love it. Its definitely more just plain frum. The day school accommodates everyone and the classes are co-ed until 5th grade. If you want a voucher state with a great children's hospital and a community that separates the classes younger I would look into Cincinnati.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:25 am
Crookshanks wrote:

There's this house that's been on sale for a while, https://www.realtor.com/reales.....96887

You want to look at zip 46614 the "top right hand quadrant" that's Twyckenham Hills and Erskine Manor/Park. It's not uncommon for people to come here and rent and then jump on a better house.

It's been a "dry" winter. Houses go VERY fast if they are half-way decent. There's been a lot of turnover

As for hospitals, there's a local dr's office that pairs with a hospital in Indianapolis called Riley's that's a research hospital. I dont' know about crossing over to Illinois, I know it's been a bit issue here.

We are a small community less than 200 frum families, so I prefer to stay anonymous but I'm happy to answer any questions.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:28 am
That $ 1.5 million house I refer to as "Buckingham Palace" because the other side of it is a street called Buckingham.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:30 am
There were 2 houses on my block for sale for a while but they both recently sold. I expect that more people will move in the Spring.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 4:42 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
There's this house that's been on sale for a while, https://www.realtor.com/reales.....96887

You want to look at zip 46614 the "top right hand quadrant" that's Twyckenham Hills and Erskine Manor/Park. It's not uncommon for people to come here and rent and then jump on a better house.

It's been a "dry" winter. Houses go VERY fast if they are half-way decent. There's been a lot of turnover

As for hospitals, there's a local dr's office that pairs with a hospital in Indianapolis called Riley's that's a research hospital. I dont' know about crossing over to Illinois, I know it's been a bit issue here.

We are a small community less than 200 frum families, so I prefer to stay anonymous but I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thank you so much. this is very helpful. that house seems to be contingent, but good to know what is out there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 4:44 pm
That $ 1.5 million house I refer to as "Buckingham Palace" because the other side of it is a street called Buckingham.

Smile cute!
some of the houses seem to be very old. I hear the community is very down to earth and non materialistic. do people do renovations to make kosher kitchen/ upgrade bathrooms etc?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 4:45 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I live in Chicago. I think if your kid has a highly specialized medical condition you should call the University of Chicago Comer Childrens Hospital and the local South Bend hospital and compare what they offer. Its an hour and a half ish to get to Comer. Its part of the University of Chicago and its one of the best in the country. My guess is that is really depends on the medical needs.

Its a really nice community I know families who have moved from Chicago to SB due to the lower cost of living and smaller community feel and they love it. Its definitely more just plain frum. The day school accommodates everyone and the classes are co-ed until 5th grade. If you want a voucher state with a great children's hospital and a community that separates the classes younger I would look into Cincinnati.

Thank you. good to know

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 4:47 pm
Its a really nice community I know families who have moved from Chicago to SB due to the lower cost of living and smaller community feel and they love it. Its definitely more just plain frum. The day school accommodates everyone and the classes are co-ed until 5th grade. If you want a voucher state with a great children's hospital and a community that separates the classes younger I would look into Cincinnati.[/quote]

is the coed until 5th grade accurate?

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 4:49 pm
I don't know about southbend but saw that someone mentioned cincy. the housing market here is incredibly "dry" . I think people are trying to move out of the ny metro area and moving OOT Wink

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 4:59 pm
A good friend has a child who has a significant medical issue and that was a big decider for her when choosing between south bend and Cinicinati. She chose Cincinnati. She said their hospital is one of the best in the country.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 6:14 pm
small world. I'm friends with your friend Wink Cincinnati is known for their Children's hospital. I know another family as well who chose to move here in part for that hospital.

On a personal note. My daughter is being followed by that hospital for a certain issue and when I spoke to a friend who moved from Cincy to to a different community and is dealing with the same thing she said that it's much easier to get school based services there but hospital based stuff it is no comparison to Cincy.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

is the coed until 5th grade accurate?[/quote]

It is officially coed, but more and more the boys and girls are having "nothing to do with each other' from early as 2nd-3rd grade. One of my sons had a really sweet girl invite him to her birthday and sukkos party in 2nd grade but by 3rd grade I never heard her name since. My preschooler sometimes plays with the boys--but it's already getting less and less. In 3rd grade the teacher has the kids vote about whether they want to be grouped by gender and I think a few years ago I heard that it was the first time that they voted to be completely separate.

If you are serious about moving here, it would be prudent to speak to those "in-the-know" because there are people here who dabble in real estate and even our house we purchased before it went on the market because houses get snapped up very quickly. Very often a family is moving out and then it is purchased by the next family--B"H we haven't had too many people move lately but it happens. People do renovate but some of these houses only have SO many options like if it's a 2bd 1bath--its not going to hold a family of 7. I feel like that's the biggest inhibitor of growth right now is lack of family friendly housing because we are in such a specific area and many of the houses are just too small or too far from the shul to be practical, but it is a very nice community. It's about 4 hours from SB to Cincinnati

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Smile cute!
some of the houses seem to be very old. I hear the community is very down to earth and non materialistic. do people do renovations to make kosher kitchen/ upgrade bathrooms etc?

some houses are old, many are what my husband calls "tetris houses"--they are these ranch houses that are all about the same with some minor changes--3 bdrm 1.5 bath. Sometimes depending on how big the family is will make one of these work and then upgrade when something better opens up.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 8:42 am
It is officially coed, but more and more the boys and girls are having "nothing to do with each other' from early as 2nd-3rd grade. One of my sons had a really sweet girl invite him to her birthday and sukkos party in 2nd grade but by 3rd grade I never heard her name since. My preschooler sometimes plays with the boys--but it's already getting less and less. In 3rd grade the teacher has the kids vote about whether they want to be grouped by gender and I think a few years ago I heard that it was the first time that they voted to be completely separate.

If you are serious about moving here, it would be prudent to speak to those "in-the-know" because there are people here who dabble in real estate and even our house we purchased before it went on the market because houses get snapped up very quickly. Very often a family is moving out and then it is purchased by the next family--B"H we haven't had too many people move lately but it happens. People do renovate but some of these houses only have SO many options like if it's a 2bd 1bath--its not going to hold a family of 7. I feel like that's the biggest inhibitor of growth right now is lack of family friendly housing because we are in such a specific area and many of the houses are just too small or too far from the shul to be practical, but it is a very nice community. It's about 4 hours from SB to Cincinnati

Thank you so much. You have been extremely helpful!

shaimac1

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, Qs about South bend, Indiana (not sure how up to date older threads are)
1)Where do the frum families live? (name of street I can put into zillow)
2)Is there a good childrens hospital in the area? if we would need to go to Chicago, do they accept Medicaid from Indiana?
3) is the community growing? does it have an active kollel?

Thank you

1. 46614 specifically between Ridgedale to the South and Ewing to the north, but as others have mentioned houses go and come quick.
1b. There is currently a 4 bedroom, 2 full bath home with an attached two car garage for rent.
2. The children's hospital is getting better and we have some options, but if your child has a complicated medical issue Cincy might be better it all depends.
3. BH the community is growing, and we have a full time Kollel...and Bas Yaakov high school, Yeshiva Gedola of South Bend.

Feel free to message me for more details!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating