Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Barefoot Contessa Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 11:06 am
I guess I am going back to basics. Who doesn't have a Butternut Squash soup in their collection. Ina Garten's recipes are so good and easy for the home cook to make. This freezes well and is great to have in the refrigerator as a healthy nosh.

I have made her version of this soup where the squash was roasted which is supposed to add a depth of flavor. I don't think the potchke is worth it.

Of course I use precut squash - I have made it with whole squash and obviously that is less expensive but using a shortcut makes it much easier to have homemade food around.

Barefoot Contessa Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

Excerpt From: Ina Garten. “Barefoot Contessa Parties!

MAKES 3½ QUARTS

This is my all-time favorite soup, and it’s good for you. It’s a vegetarian variation of a popular soup from The Silver Palate Cookbook and is one of the best-selling soups at Barefoot Contessa. The creamy butternut squash and sweet apples balance the spicy curry.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons good olive oil
4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large)
2 tablespoons mild curry powder
5 pounds butternut squash (2 large)
1½ pounds sweet apples, such as McIntosh (4 apples)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups good apple juice or cider

Warm the butter and olive oil in a large stockpot over low heat. Add the onions and curry powder and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot.

Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into chunks. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks.

Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Process the soup through a food mill fitted with a large blade, or puree it coarsely in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.

Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the apple juice and enough water to make the soup the consistency you like; it should be slightly sweet and quite thick. Check the salt and pepper and serve hot.

AishesChayil1

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 4:30 pm
Thank you for posting this! I just made a butternut soup and, sadly, I realized I need a recipe with exact measurements. Surprised Sugar is a no-no, so would this recipe work without the apples and without the juice?

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:19 pm
I am sure there are butternut squash soup recipes with different ingredients but if you omitted apples and apple cider from this recipe, you would be making what is essentially diluted squash with no flavorings which wouldn’t be particularly tasty.

AishesChayil1

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 6:42 pm
Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:06 pm
AishesChayil1 wrote:
Thank you for posting this! I just made a butternut soup and, sadly, I realized I need a recipe with exact measurements. Surprised Sugar is a no-no, so would this recipe work without the apples and without the juice?

If you want a savory version, this is delicious.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....86023

AishesChayil1

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:37 pm
Thank you ra_mom! You saved me. 🙂 This sounds delicious! I'm going to try it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics