Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How much of a food allowance to give live in?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 8:04 am
I’m having a live in for a few weeks and need to give her money to buy herself food. I don’t have time to be busy buying and preparing for her specific diet so I decided it’s Easier to give her money and let her take care of herself.

If anyone has done this, how much did you give?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 8:25 am
Unless she knows about kashrus this sounds like a minefield. Do it with your regular grocery shopping or order. It's easier than dealing with tarfus.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Unless she knows about kashrus this sounds like a minefield. Do it with your regular grocery shopping or order. It's easier than dealing with tarfus.

I’m sending her to a local grocery to buy food for breakfast and lunch. I’m not sure yet about dinner. She’s used to living with other frum families.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 10:08 am
Why cant you just ask her what she likes and add those few things to your regular order .Don’t you have plenty regular food stocked in your house oatmeal, cereals, salad, fruits, veggies, chicken, eggs, fish, meat, cheeses, (peanut butter) yogurts, breads. She can make herself any of those things if she understands meat and milk from the other frum homes and not to turn on any stoves she might like a certain snack so would add that or soy milk but to send her out shopping for herself with your money does not seem like a good idea to me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 10:10 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Why cant you just ask her what she likes and add those few things to your regular order .Don’t you have plenty regular food stocked in your house oatmeal, cereals, salad, fruits, veggies, chicken, eggs, fish, meat, cheeses, (peanut butter) yogurts, breads. She can make herself any of those things if she understands meat and milk from the other frum homes and not to turn on any stoves she might like a certain snack so would add that or soy milk but to send her out shopping for herself with your money does not seem like a good idea to me.

She started giving me orders and saying she’s gluten free and no meat so it’s not so simple.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 10:19 am
Sorry, I would usually butt out at this point but I still think this is several catastrophes waiting to happen. I agree with cerulean. Ask her to give you a few ideas about what she eats and add them to your regular list. Way less complicated.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 10:28 am
I agree. Ask her what she usually eats.
Get her GF bread and pasta, beans. Ask if there are any specific soy GF products she likes, ask what fish she eats. Particular brand or flavor of yogurt.
Done.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 11:50 am
I don’t think asking her is a great idea either. The list can get outrageous with the live in vetoing all normal choices and expecting expensive and hard to get food items.
Stock a variety of basics in your house and tell her that she is welcome to choose from these for breakfast and lunch. Live ins will always try their luck but really if she is the one with a difficult diet she should know that she has to supplement it herself.

number

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 1:04 pm
Buy some gluten free grains such as rice and quinoa, she can prepare it herself. If she doesn’t want to eat meat she can eat eggs, dairy, and fish if she’s so inclined. This doesn’t sound like a crazy diet at all and there’s no reason she should need her own groceries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics