Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Challah rising hack

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 9:27 pm
Has anyone tried the hack where instead of leaving your challah to rise a second time after braiding, you put it straight in the oven at 200 and let it speed rise for 30 min then bake as usual? If you've tried it, has it worked?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 9:52 pm
I do it all the time for both risings. Works amazing. Turn on oven to 200 then turn it off. Rises in warm oven.
Then egg wash and out toppings and back to oven on 350
Make sure you don't leave it in too long as it will rise and then call flat when baking

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 9:52 pm
I do this all the time. After braiding I put it in the oven at 225, check it after 25 minutes, sometimes I let it on 225 for another 5 to 10 minutes.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 9:54 pm
Yes. I do this for the first rise. I put my bowl of dough in a 180F oven (middle and top racks removed), until challah warms through. Even if it's not risen all the way, it continues to rise quickly on the counter because the dough is warm.

You can do this for the second rising as well.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 10:02 pm
Do it all the time

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 10:57 pm
Thanks!!! Will try tonight!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 11:03 pm
I don't see the need for this hack, my challah dough rises about 1 hour for the first rise on the counter, covered or uncovered. Then the second rise after braiding a half hour on the counter, then I bake for delicious fluffy challos. Maybe some other recipes take longer?

challahchallah

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 11:35 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I don't see the need for this hack, my challah dough rises about 1 hour for the first rise on the counter, covered or uncovered. Then the second rise after braiding a half hour on the counter, then I bake for delicious fluffy challos. Maybe some other recipes take longer?

Yes, different recipes take longer depending on ratios of ingredients (yeast, salt and sugar are particularly key). It also depends on the type of yeast you use and the air temperature of your kitchen.

mizle10

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 11:52 pm
I like to put my challah dough on the stovetop ontop of my oven and turn my oven on to 400. Gives off the perfect amount of heat for the dough to rise.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 11 2021, 11:52 pm
I braid, egg and then bake at 175 for half an hour and then at 350 till done. It comes out delicious.

tweety1

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 7:20 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Yes. I do this for the first rise. I put my bowl of dough in a 180F oven (middle and top racks removed), until challah warms through. Even if it's not risen all the way, it continues to rise quickly on the counter because the dough is warm.

You can do this for the second rising as well.

You put it in the oven for the first rising too? I'm just trying to understand.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 7:42 am
I put mine in a covered bowl in a microwave that's off, and it's risen in an hour or two. (More likely to be on the lower side if I just used the microwave.)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 7:51 am
tweety1 wrote:
You put it in the oven for the first rising too? I'm just trying to understand.

I'm not the poster you were asking, but I do this for the first rising. I preheat my oven to 200, shut it off, and put my dough (in a bowl, covered with a towel) and let it rise for an hour.

I usually let it rise for about 2 hours after braided. Last night I stuck them in the oven at 225 after they were braided and egged. They rose beautifully in 25 minutes. I did spray them with oil before turning the oven up to 350. They BH came out great. Awesome time saver.

tweety1

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 8:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not the poster you were asking, but I do this for the first rising. I preheat my oven to 200, shut it off, and put my dough (in a bowl, covered with a towel) and let it rise for an hour.

I usually let it rise for about 2 hours after braided. Last night I stuck them in the oven at 225 after they were braided and egged. They rose beautifully in 25 minutes. I did spray them with oil before turning the oven up to 350. They BH came out great. Awesome time saver.

Tnx. I was gonna bake challos next week, that's why I asked. But in between my last post and now I found challos to last me through Purim so that's it till after pesach for me.

challahchallah

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:18 am
I also find putting the dough (first or second rising) covered with cling wrap in the oven with the heat off but the light on to give a nice gentle heat for a quick rise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics