Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What's so great about Betty Crocker Pizza makers for travel?
1  2  3  Next

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 8:04 am
Hi -

Someone just offered me a brand new (Israeli equivalent of a) Betty Crocker pizza maker. I've heard about it here on these boards, and thought I'd ask for your opinions.

Normally, I don't like too many kitchen gadgets, but I thought this may come in handy when travelling. Usually, we stay in airbnbs with kitchens and we just bring our own pots and pans, but for Pesach, for example, we may have to stay someplace with very minimal coking facilities (microwave and hot water heater), and I was thinking that a device like this may come in handy.

Is it useful? Or a waste of storage space?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

I am posting this under travel and not under cooking because I think vacation is when I am most likely to use this gadget.

TIA!

meme6

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 8:29 am
You can make almost anything in it. From eggs to chicken literally.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 8:35 am
Hi

I was recently on vacation and we took along dairy and meat betty Crocker. Used it for everything, full breakfast and suppers in there.
Dairy- Scrambled eggs, toasted bread, boiled up water, pizza etc.
Meat- Chicken bottoms/cutlets, potatoes, veggies etc.

Having it with us was worth every penny.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 8:48 am
I use it for everything. Best thing to take along on vacation.

freilich

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 8:48 am
If you need to shlep something along, this will probably be the most useful item. I would recommend two, one for meat and one for dairy. You can literally do anything on it. You can use it to warm up cooked food as well.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 9:06 am
They cover this in the blog betweencarpools.com

Kumphort

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 9:28 am
Sarah lasry posted about this on Instagram. Basically she felt it made more sense to take a reg electric griddle. That it was flat and lighter had more actual cooking space and you could control the temp in them.

She has it saved to a highlight on her page

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 10:49 am
How does this compare to bringing a George Foreman?

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

You can cook much more things in the betty crocker. You can cook basically everything in it. I do chicken, fish, veggie, potatoes, eggs, pancakes, grill cheese, pizza, frozen foods like fish sticks, pizza bagel, pizza snaps, chicken nuggets.... basically whatever you can think of.

yksraya

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 10:56 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
the difference is a george forman is more like a grill, and at least mine is bulky. The betty crocker is like a covered pan, it's more juicy, and you can cook more stuff in it, it can even be used for cake. The size is also convenient for travel.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
You can cook much more things in the betty crocker. You can cook basically everything in it. I do chicken, fish, veggie, potatoes, eggs, pancakes, grill cheese, pizza, frozen foods like fish sticks, pizza bagel, pizza snaps, chicken nuggets.... basically whatever you can think of.

Except op is asking about using it on Pesach and we dont eat most of those things on Pesach and you cant leave it on for 3 days over yom either so its a waste of time. A crockpot is better since you can cook directly in it, no pot needed. Get liners for easy cleanup and there are specialty disposable pans that allows you to put warm up additional food on top of the slow cooker so there is room for everything. No need to bring extra pots (which you would need to bring if you get a griddle instead).

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:12 pm
It’s great because it’s like a pot and oven in one.
Use it when it’s open as a pot - you can make eggs vegetables pancakes, fry or grill chicken. Or close it and use it like an oven to bake things. It works great fir frozen fries or onion rings, potato knishes.
I have a dairy and fleishig one. We recently went away and these are some things I used it for:
Breakfast scrambled eggs sunny side up eggs grilled cheese sandwich pancakes.
Lunch pizza and frozen fries
Dinner:
Grilled chicken and potato latkes
Chicken and brocolli and potato knishes
Breaded chicken and breaded cauliflour

Last edited by HeartyAppetite on Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:17 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Except op is asking about using it on Pesach and we dont eat most of those things on Pesach and you cant leave it on for 3 days over yom either so its a waste of time. A crockpot is better since you can cook directly in it, no pot needed. Get liners for easy cleanup and there are specialty disposable pans that allows you to put warm up additional food on top of the slow cooker so there is room for everything. No need to bring extra pots (which you would need to bring if you get a griddle instead).

For Pesach you can also use it for many things. Chicken, matza pizza, vegetable, potatoes, cheese latkes, potato latkes, scrambled eggs. It's different than a crok pot, different uses.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:40 pm
On a different thread here someone wrote that she made potato kugel on her Betty Crocker!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:46 pm
I have an electric skillet for dairy and a foreman grill for meat. Essentially the same idea.

On vacation, we used the skillet to make scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast...mac 'n' cheese for lunch....grilled cheese sandwiches the next morning.....

....and grilled chicken (served with salad in pita) for supper in the foreman grill.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 2:26 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have an electric skillet for dairy and a foreman grill for meat. Essentially the same idea.

On vacation, we used the skillet to make scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast...mac 'n' cheese for lunch....grilled cheese sandwiches the next morning.....

....and grilled chicken (served with salad in pita) for supper in the foreman grill.

Can you tell me what you put on the grilled chicken and how long it took to cook? Also, was it hard to clean the grill?

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 2:50 pm
I bring my sandwich maker, George Foreman grill and electric kettle on long vacations. (If I’m only going away for one night then I just bring the electric kettle for coffee, noodle soup and oatmeal.)

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 2:52 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Can you tell me what you put on the grilled chicken and how long it took to cook? Also, was it hard to clean the grill?

You weren’t asking me but I coat the cutlets with mayonnaise, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. It only takes a few minutes to cook. I actually line my George Foreman grill with parchment paper so there is almost nothing to clean.
I also use the grill for hotdogs and fries.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 3:00 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
You weren’t asking me but I coat the cutlets with mayonnaise, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. It only takes a few minutes to cook. I actually line my George Foreman grill with parchment paper so there is almost nothing to clean.
I also use the grill for hotdogs and fries.

Yes I wanted to know how you prepared them. Do you put parchment on top and bottom? I have one but haven't used it much.
Thanks

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Yes I wanted to know how you prepared them. Do you put parchment on top and bottom? I have one but haven't used it much.
Thanks

I use a long sheet of paper that covers both the top and bottom. When you fold the cover the paper folds in half.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics