Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Too much butternut squash

elsily

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 10:34 am
Making a kugel for Shabbos and I have too much cooked squash. Any ideas? Should I just throw in the freezer and use later for soup?

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 10:37 am
Sure, why not?

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:58 pm
I would freeze it plain, and then you can do all sorts of things with it once defrosted. Lately I've been making a pareve alfredo-ey pasta sauce with blended cashew creme, butternut squash, garlic, salt, pepper, and a little bit of miso for umami. It's good on pizza as well.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 2:01 pm
Usually whole ones last a while. If it's already open, peel, cube and freeze it. Or roast it cut side down, scoop out squash and freeze for soup.

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 2:44 pm
It freezes beautifully. It also makes a good sub for pumpkin in pumpkin bread.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 12:55 pm
I also vote for freezing it.

It also can be used to make "faux" pumpkin pie, because pumpkins are also a type of squash. I made one for DD, and she didn't know the difference.

Pumpkin pie is her favorite, and she's a very picky eater. If I told her it was squash, she would have refused to even try it. LOL

DrMom

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 2:01 pm
If you have babies, it makes good baby food.

icedcoffee

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 7:41 pm
There's an Iraqi-Jewish dish called kubbeh - it's a meat dumpling soup that can be made with either a beet or a butternut squash base. It's a bit time consuming but a HUGE hit here (in my sample size of 2 of us).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics