Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
How to manage with one countertop? (Kashrus help)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:48 am
How do you manage in a kitchen with one countertop in terms of keeping milchig and fleishig separate?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:57 am
Never put down anything hot directly on the counter. Make sure there are no pieces of food when doing food prep.

I lived in a tiny apartment with 1 tiny counter for a long time. It was formica and treif. Basically treat your one counter like a treif one.

Rappel

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Never put down anything hot directly on the counter. Make sure there are no pieces of food when doing food prep.

I lived in a tiny apartment with 1 tiny counter for a long time. It was formica and treif. Basically treat your one counter like a treif one.

I have a line which divides my counter, and I use that. I periodically kasher it just to be on the safe side (BH, it's granite!). it's very possible to work with one counter and really use it, you just need to make your own definitive line.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:02 am
Get two big glass cutting boards, and use them to cover the counter as neeeded. Use them as your main work surface. Glass, because then you can put hot pots directly onto them.

Do you also have only one sink? I use washing up bowls for everything, and never put anything directly into the sink, either.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:02 am
I had two apartments one with almost no counter space for either meat or milk and the next with a nice long work space that I used for meat but the part I could have used for milchig was tiny. The kitchen of my house is very similar to this also.

First I had a kitchen cart with shelves and drawers that I got at Ikea. It was great. I used it for many many years until we moved. Our current kitchen now has space for a table so I use that as a prep area for dairy meals.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 2:57 pm
You can have a carpenter take a piece of thin plywood and put on formica with an overhanging edge to lay over your counter. Stick it behind the fridge when not in use.

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 2:58 pm
I have a friend that has a lot of space but to make clean up easy she puts down one of those plastic disposable tablecloths. It was such a good idea and made clean up so easy and that way you would have a perfectly kosher countertop each time.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 3:19 pm
There is really no issue so long as you #1 keep your counters clean of food debris and #2 never put a hot pot down directly on the counter - which isn't great for most counters anyhow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics