Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Lo went to bed hungry
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:24 pm
I let my 3yo go to bed hungry tonight. He didn't want to eat his chicken and I wasn't offering things he liked until he ate that. He didn't seem to care. Anyone else did that?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:25 pm
My kid eats what she wants when she wants. There are nights that dinner is a slice of bread or a yogurt and then she declares she's done. Kids won't starve overnight.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:26 pm
I always serve at least one "safe food" that I know my toddlers like. If they choose not to eat it then that's their choice and I'll make a note to give extra breakfast in the morning.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:27 pm
A three year old? I would have offered another healthy option (even yogurt, cheese, fruit, bread, cereal). I wouldn't let my three year old go to sleep hungry.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:28 pm
Never.

nanny24/7

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:29 pm
nope. never. not acceptable.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:31 pm
I always offer but there have been times when my 3 yr old was too overtired and refused everything and I didn't have much of a choice...

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:33 pm
I'm sorry OP, that is unacceptable on your part. You should offer something he likes. You never put a child to sleep hungry, especially not a 3 year old. You don't have to cook him a meal he likes, but he can have ready foods or things that are quick to prepare.
My kids can have oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, a sandwich... if they don't like dinner.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:33 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I always offer but there have been times when my 3 yr old was too overtired and refused everything and I didn't have much of a choice...

But you offered, you did your part. You didn't force him to go to bed hungry.

Redbird

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:34 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:

That's very different than a toddler that clearly wants to eat, but "Mommy doesn't let have anything yummy until you finish your chicken"

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:35 pm
I'm just fed up with him refusing to eat. He got offered a dessert for when he finishes his protein. And for things he likes when hes done his protein. But it happens every night already. Even when things he likes are on the plate he won't eat when he's not in the mood.

mom!

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:36 pm
I agree with OP. It’s a horrible feeling though.
I find with my 3 year old that if I start offering more choices, the more shtick they play. I make a reasonable supper that is realistic that they’ll eat. After that, I don’t offer anything else.

honey36

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:37 pm
How do you know he was hungry? I've had kids I put to sleep without dinner but I doubt their hungry. I will offer them a few healthy choices I know they usually like and if they say no to all then I assume their not hungry. Why the guilt?

ETA: healthy choices does not always have to include protein. My pediatrician told me parents are way too into making kids eat protein- kids really don't need that much. A cup of milk and a few slices of cheese/ yogurt a day is enough. Of course if you can vary it to include fish/chicken/legumes also that's great, but if he's not in the mood today I'd let him have other healthy foods instead

Last edited by honey36 on Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:37 pm
Currently feeding a second super bc even if they feel sleep they wake and it's not worth it

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:39 pm
I would never do that to a 3 year old. I would give them a yogurt or fruit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:40 pm
honey36 wrote:
How do you know he was hungry? I've had kids I put to sleep without dinner but I doubt their hungry. I will offer them a few healthy choices I know they usually like and if they say no to all then I assume their not hungry. Why the guilt?

He didn't eat much when he got home today at 1230. And I don't think he had lunch at school today. So he was probably hungry. But there's only so many times I can put on a puppet show for him to eat. Or get myself upset about it.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:41 pm
Why can't you make 40 chicken nuggets ir hardboiled eggs or fish sticks on Sunday and serve them to your three year old ever night if he doesn't like dinner?

This is a battle you shouldn't be fighting. If he doesn't like dinner, let him choose something very easy to eat instead. I wouldn't even force him to eat a protein- let him eat a starch or vegetable if that's what he wants to eat.

Really, he's three!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:43 pm
I ask him before I warm something up if he'll eat it and he says yes. And then I give it to him and he won't eat it. He's smart knh its not like he doesn't understand when he answers yes he'll eat it.

behappy2

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:45 pm
The question is why he isn't interested. I wouldnt force a kid to eat either. If he said he's hungry and he wants cereal, that's another story.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:45 pm
People told me to let my picky eater go to sleep hungry and she'll start eating, I couldn't do it. She had a bread every single night for dinner, until she/I finally decided, at age 5-6, that it's time to try more food.

In your situation op, I'd offer child a bread or whatever they like and then if they choose not to, it was their choice.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics