Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Question on Shabbos table setting
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:41 pm
If you set the Shabbos table with the dishes for all courses at each persons place setting does this mean that every course ir served on platter?

What if you wanted to do individual plating and how would you serve fish ie a peice of salmon for the first course. Is it all self serve?

I always wondered This bc I love a fully set table ...but I usually plate some courses.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:42 pm
When I set the table with plates, I collect all plates when I serve the fish.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:42 pm
Take the plate away from everyone, take to kitcheb and serve that way

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:44 pm
Weird thought but usually first course is challah and then it’s bringing in used plates. I find the top plates get all crumby from it. Am I making sense ?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:50 pm
You can preplate fish plates and have it already at settings before washing and challah. I wouldn’t collect plates after challah and bring to kitchen for fish .. that is kind of gross.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:55 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
You can preplate fish plates and have it already at settings before washing and challah. I wouldn’t collect plates after challah and bring to kitchen for fish .. that is kind of gross.

Why gross?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Weird thought but usually first course is challah and then it’s bringing in used plates. I find the top plates get all crumby from it. Am I making sense ?

When everyone goes to wash I collect the plates and serve the fish right away.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:57 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

I 💯 agree. I usually just set the table with the main plate but love the elevated look of a fully layered setting. Curious to how this all gets done in an appetizing way 💁🏼‍♀️

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:38 am
It’s gross because how do u you keep track of whose plate is whose .. unless u don’t have a lot of people and can do one or two at a time.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:05 am
I put out all the plates and platter everything. For dh and my kids I get them to pass me their plates and I serve them. For guests I prefer them to help themselves. I'm a fussy eater so I prefer to eat what I want and think everyone should be able to do the same.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I only put out the dinner plate. Not the smaller plate. Maybe not as pretty but more sanitary.

Or have played first course out before kiddush. I like that bec it’s pretty on table and makes meal go faster.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:08 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
It’s gross because how do u you keep track of whose plate is whose .. unless u don’t have a lot of people and can do one or two at a time.

The plates are untouched and unused when I collect them, why does it matter which one was at which place?

sky

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
The plates are untouched and unused when I collect them, why does it matter which one was at which place?

They breath on them. Touch them. Eat challah over it. I’m not the “cleanest” person. But eating off a plate that was just in front of someone else is something that I find gross

Last edited by sky on Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I put out all the plates and platter everything. For dh and my kids I get them to pass me their plates and I serve them. For guests I prefer them to help themselves. I'm a fussy eater so I prefer to eat what I want and think everyone should be able to do the same.

Thank you. I hate when my plate is plated for me. I feel like the hostess is putting her preference to look fancy above mine (the guest). It’s so uncomfortable to be served something I don’t like and then leave it on the plate. My husband or I tend to scoop whatever it is to the others plate if that person will eat it. I’d like to put everything out on a platter so my guess can take seconds or thirds of what they like and leave what they don’t. Also I like to avoid food waste where I can.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:14 am
sky wrote:
They breath on them. Touch them. Eat challah over it. I’m not the “cleanest” person. But eating off a plate that was just in front of someone else is something that I find gross

I collect the plates when everyone goes to wash. No one ate challah over them or touched them. They're totally clean.
I think it's gross to have plated fish sitting out for so long.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:20 am
I really don't like it when someone else decides on the type and quantity of food I am allowed to eat.

One can make a serving platter look pretty and still allow people their own choice. The only thing I serve plated is soup.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:32 am
I collect the plates when everyone goes to wash. No one ate challah over them or touched them. They're totally clean.
I think it's gross to have plated fish sitting out for so long.

I’m with Sky, still gross.

Either plate before people come to the table, serve on a platter, or set the table without the appetizer plate.

(Not sure why a platter is less gross that taking in the plates but it is)

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:35 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I’m with Sky, still gross.

Either plate before people come to the table, serve on a platter, or set the table without the appetizer plate.

(Not sure why a platter is less gross that taking in the plates but it is)

I don't get why it's gross to collect plates before anyone even sat down. The plates are untouched, unbreathed on..... it's the same as taking plates from the cabinet.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:38 am
I don't get why it's gross to collect plates before anyone even sat down. The plates are untouched, unbreathed on..... it's the same as taking plates from the cabinet.

No one sat down or was given seats. Or made kiddush. Then not so bad from a clean point of view. But it still sounds awkward. Like let me go collect plates from the set table - sounds like it was a mistake they were put out.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:40 am
U don’t make kiddush before washing ? With everyone at their place ? People touch their plates. It’s just weird to collect them after that . Either pre plate or serve on a platter.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note