Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Pfizer vaccine second dose reaction
Previous  1  2

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:55 pm
I received my second pfeizer vaccine a few weeks ago. I'm in my early thirties, did not have covid and am not pregnant and was not when I received my vaccines. After the first vaccine my arm hurt, after the second one my arm hurt too. The morning after the second one my chest muscles felt achy as if something heavy had been on them all night, but that feeling quickly wore off and I was feeling fine a few hours later. By the time the 24 hour post vaccine time had come, I felt fine bH.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:58 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Those of us in the back are anxiously waiting for our pharmacy to get these and Moderna could be stocked at doctor's offices. My sister had to wait in her car for 4 hours at the Kentucky state fairgrounds with no bathroom for her shot.
It would be nice to see the doctor for a private appointment and be properly monitored for allergies.
My son in Israel got his first shot and he is obviously younger than me. Biden is buying 300 million doses so where are they?

Logistically it is going to be awhile - of ever - that vaccines are stocked in doctor's offices because Moderna and Pfizer require special refrigerators which doctors won't have.

The problem with distribution to pharmacies is efficiency since they need to vaccinate a minimum number of people at one time or else doses go to waste. As you are aware there are stories about searching for people so doses can be used since they must be given within a short time frame.

At this point having large distribution centers makes it logistically easier since they can have the personnel and facilities and they are able to move an enormous number of people through and know that all of the doses will be used.

I was vaccinated at Dodger Stadium on January 20 and there was a wait but it wasn't terrible and they did have Porta Potties which thankfully I didn't need to use as I just didn't drink anything in the morning. LOL

I think this week is probably especially difficult in terms of finding a first shot as most of the supply was held back for the wave of second doses this week. I got my email (as did my friends) which confirmed my appointment for my second dose on Wednesday.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 11:12 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Logistically it is going to be awhile - of ever - that vaccines are stocked in doctor's offices because Moderna and Pfizer require special refrigerators which doctors won't have.

The problem with distribution to pharmacies is efficiency since they need to vaccinate a minimum number of people at one time or else doses go to waste. As you are aware there are stories about searching for people so doses can be used since they must be given within a short time frame.

At this point having large distribution centers makes it logistically easier since they can have the personnel and facilities and they are able to move an enormous number of people through and know that all of the doses will be used.

I was vaccinated at Dodger Stadium on January 20 and there was a wait but it wasn't terrible and they did have Porta Potties which thankfully I didn't need to use as I just didn't drink anything in the morning. LOL

I think this week is probably especially difficult in terms of finding a first shot as most of the supply was held back for the wave of second doses this week. I got my email (as did my friends) which confirmed my appointment for my second dose on Wednesday.

My sister said that there was only one porta potty for several thousand people. Those are so unsanitary that they probably spread Covid if someone is infected.
Hopefully these mega-sites can respond quickly if someone has a reaction.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 11:17 pm
southernbubby wrote:
My sister said that there was only one porta potty for several thousand people. Those are so unsanitary that they probably spread Covid if someone is infected.
Hopefully these mega-sites can respond quickly if someone has a reaction.

Dodger stadium was really well organized. Cars were sent in groups of 10 at the destination amd there were about seven lanes. Everyone was jabbed and then we were held for about 20 minutes to see if there was a reaction. Then all the cars moved out and a new group was brought in.

Not that I wanted to use a porta potty but there were no lines at any of them and many more than one.

Obviously logistics differ since there are so many distribution centers with each one operating differently but I have been impressed with how well organized it was where I went.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 5:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm due for the second dose this week IYH and a little nervous. So I wanted to hear from ppl who got the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine, if you had a reaction.
If so, are you pregnant? Older? Did you have a reaction after the first dose?

Please only first hand stories, I'm not interested in crazy stories about your sister in law's brother's friend...

After the first dose my arm was sore for a week, it hurt to move it.

I told that to the paramedic who gave me the second dose and he used a needle which he said was more gentle. My arm hardly hurt at all that entire day and now only hurts if I press on that spot. The red spot is much smaller and much less red than the first time around.

I did start feeling flu-ey from about 12 hours after the second vaccine. I took Tylenol and felt somewhat better and was able to function. The sick flu-ey feeling lasted about 36 hours and now I feel totally fine BH. My lymph nodes in my throat felt a bit swollen the day I got the vaccine but I think that was from before the vaccine - either way I am now 3 days after my second dose and my throat is totally fine.

DH is also 3 days after his second dose. He had no pain in his arm after the first dose unless you pressed on the spot, he had no redness. Now after the second shot his arm hurts some (or hurt some yesterday, at least) but he has no other symptoms BH. I don't think his arm is red. Both of us were sneezing a lot yesterday, we're not sure why, maybe it's related to the vaccine and maybe not.

My boss also got his second dose on the day that we got ours. His joke a day after he received it was "by the way, I fell dead last night. getting out of it slowly." He is feeling fine BH. I would say that he makes better jokes than usual and is in better humor than usual after his second shot.

I don't know my boss' exact age - he is mid-thirties or maybe early forties. DH and I are mid- and early thirties, respectively. I am nursing, not pregnant.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 6:18 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Here is the study
https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....fade/

The interesting part is that even those who’s antibodies faded had a strong immune reaction to the first dose, proving that the body remembered covid19.

I believe you mean "suggesting that the body may remember covid19."

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 6:20 am
Im almost a month after the second dose.
I got the shot at 10:30 in the morning and by about 8pm I felt fluey, without fever. Everything hurt, I was exhsusted. That lasted about 2.5 days. Then it was all gone.
I didnt have covid and am not preg.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:01 am
DH and I are a month past our second dose.
We are in our mid fifties. Healthy b"h, no allergies or sensitivities and have not had COVID.
First dose we both felt nothing aside from a slightly sore arm for about a day.
Second dose both of us had the sore arm again - this time much worse than the first time and the whole arm, not only the injection site.
DH was somewhat tired and a bit headachy for about 36 hours.
I was fine for the first 12 hours and then, towards evening, got a bad headache and body aches.
Went to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night shaking uncontrollably. I didn't have fever - just a slightly elevated temperature. After about an hour the shaking stopped and I was able to go back to sleep.
Next day I had headache, dizziness, body aches, sore arm and extreme tiredness.
It took me 3 full days to feel totally normal again but by 24 hours post - injection the worst was already over.
I took acetaminophen a few times for the headache mainly.
Basically the whole thing felt like a slight flu. Not fun but certainly nothing horrible.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:10 am
In my 50s, barely had a sore arm after the 2nd dose. Dh felt really sick the day after but just for one day. Definitely glad we got the vaccine.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:27 pm
I came across this page from UC Irvine Hospital which is a very well rated hospital in Southern California. It has a lot of information about the Covid vaccines in easy to understand language.

Here are the findings about the side effects from Pfizer and Moderna. What I found interesting is that the side effects reported by those taking the placebo were almost as high as those receiving the actual vaccines.

https://www.ucihealth.org/covi.....e-faq

What side effects do the vaccines have? Do I have to do any planning?
A. So far, clinical trials have shown that COVID-19 mRNA vaccines are highly protective and generate a strong immune response. Sometimes when vaccines produce an immune response, there may be side effects that feel like the flu, but do not mean you are infected or contagious. Instead, these symptoms are simply a sign that your body is successfully generating an immune response to provide you protection.

* Expect some symptoms after vaccination. Both mRNA COVID-19 vaccines commonly cause mild-to-moderate non-infectious “flu-like” symptoms.

* Pick a good time
* Get your vaccine when you do not have anything important planned in the next day or two, including work shifts. This is more important after the second dose since symptoms are more common after the second dose.
* If you can, have staff who have highly specialized skill sets separate their vaccines by at least 3 days in case one needs to miss work for vaccine-related side effects

* Pfizer mRNA vaccine
* Percent of people with any symptoms: 59% after 1st dose, 70% after 2nd dose             Note: in placebo (no vaccine) group: 47% symptoms after 1st dose, 34% after 2nd
* Types of symptoms: fatigue 63%, headache 55%, muscle aches 38%, chills 32%, joint pain 24%, fever 14%
* Percent of people with severe side effects: fatigue 4%, headache 2%

* Moderna mRNA vaccine
* Percent of people with any symptoms: 55% after 1st dose, 79% after 2nd dose Note: in placebo (no vaccine) group: 42% symptoms after 1st dose, 37% after 2nd
* Types of symptoms: fatigue 69%, headache 63%, muscle aches 60%, joint pain 45%, chills 43%
* Percent of people with severe side effects:
* First dose: fatigue 1%, muscle aches 1%, joint pain <1%, headache 2%, chills <1%, fever <1%
* Second dose: fatigue 11%, muscle aches 10%, joint pain 6%, headache 5%, chills 2%, fever 2%

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:39 am
After the first dose my arm hurts pretty badly for a couple of days but that was it.

After the second, my arm hurt a bit but not nearly as badly as the first. I got a sudden headache about an hour after getting the vaccine but I don't think there was any correlation. Two days after getting the vaccine I started feeling unwell. No fever, nausea, diarrhea, nothing specific. Just a general sense of blah. That lasted two days then passed and I was right as rain.

41 years old. Not pregnant.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 5:27 am
DH has a friend who gives the vaccinations. He asks his patients if they had Covid or thought they may have.
Those who have had it had local pain and that ichy feeling after the first dose. Those who never had it had the same pain and discomfort after the second dose.
DH had low antibodies and had identical pain both times.

There is very little (published) study into long term immunity. Every virus has high antibodies soon after the symptoms fade. Then the T-cell immunity takes over.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:13 pm
Is there any data on whether it’s ok to take Tylenol or Motrin for post vaccine discomfort?
Did you take it? Did it help?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 4:48 pm
low 20s, happy for you!

where did you get vaccine?

I dont seem to be able to get anywhere for young ppl

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 4:53 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
low 20s, happy for you!