Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Question on Shabbos table setting
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:43 am
And by the way fish is perfectly fine sitting out for 30 minutes if you preplate plus makes the table look fuller .

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:43 am
sky wrote:
No one sat down or was given seats. Or made kiddush. Then not so bad from a clean point of view. But it still sounds awkward. Like let me go collect plates from the set table - sounds like it was a mistake they were put out.

Everyone leaves the room to wash and I collect the plates. Not awkward.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you set the Shabbos table with the dishes for all courses at each persons place setting does this mean that every course ir served on platter?

What if you wanted to do individual plating and how would you serve fish ie a peice of salmon for the first course. Is it all self serve?

I always wondered This bc I love a fully set table ...but I usually plate some courses.

If I’m individually playing an appetizer (which I never do on shabbat, only sometimes on chagim, and maybe for smachot) I’ll plate it and then put it in the table.

amother
White

amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I don't get why it's gross to collect plates before anyone even sat down. The plates are untouched, unbreathed on..... it's the same as taking plates from the cabinet.

I don't know about gross, but its not ideal. If people have sat down during kiddush, the plates probably have been touched, and may have grape juice spilt on them.

Beyond that, it just seems to me utterly ridiculous to sit down at the table, and then take half the plates away and scurry off into the kitchen with them when everyone wants to eat, then come back ten minutes later with some hopefully aesthetic construction which may not match the guests taste (aesthetic or foodwise) and will anyway be demolished within a few minutes. Save the fancy constructions for dessert.

amother
Orange

amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
U don’t make kiddush before washing ? With everyone at their place ? People touch their plates. It’s just weird to collect them after that . Either pre plate or serve on a platter.

No one sits down before washing. And no one touches their plates while standing around.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:48 am
Why put them at the table if you're going to collect them before anyone sits down?

If you're going to plate the fish, put it out before kiddush and motzei (how long does that take? and I hate fish fresh from the fridge anyway).

If you like the look of plates at the place setting, but intend to plate all the food, invest in chargers.

Oh, and yes, if the food isn't plated, its served on platters or serving bowls with serving pieces, and passed to your guests so they can take.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:49 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I don't know about gross, but its not ideal. If people have sat down during kiddush, the plates probably have been touched, and may have grape juice spilt on them.

Beyond that, it just seems to me utterly ridiculous to sit down at the table, and then take half the plates away and scurry off into the kitchen with them when everyone wants to eat, then come back ten minutes later with some hopefully aesthetic construction which may not match the guests taste (aesthetic or foodwise) and will anyway be demolished within a few minutes. Save the fancy constructions for dessert.

No one sits down before washing. I collect all the plates, not 1/2, when everyone leaves the room to wash, no one is at the table when I collect the plates. It's not ridiculous. I don't construct fancy plates, I don't know why you decided that, and it doesn't take 10 minutes to serve the fish. I usually ask everyone what they'd like.
I've seen so many people do this, I don't get why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:49 am
Everyone leaves the room to wash and I collect the plates. Not awkward.

So were are they for kiddush? Just standing around not at the table. Not drinking from glasses at their seats? Over the plates? . Unless your yekke and wash first.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:51 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Why put them at the table if you're going to collect them before anyone sits down?

If you're going to plate the fish, put it out before kiddush and motzei (how long does that take? and I hate fish fresh from the fridge anyway).

If you like the look of plates at the place setting, but intend to plate all the food, invest in chargers.

Oh, and yes, if the food isn't plated, its served on platters or serving bowls with serving pieces, and passed to your guests so they can take.

I set the table nicely so it should look nice. DH loves to see a nicely set table when he comes home. Qe have chragers and when I set with plates, the plates go on the chargers.
I think it's pretty disgusting for fish to sit out in the open for 1/2 an hour.

amother
White

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:52 am
No one sits down before washing. I collect all the plates, not 1/2, when everyone leaves the room to wash, no one is at the table when I collect the plates. It's not ridiculous. I don't construct fancy plates, I don't know why you decided that, and it doesn't take 10 minutes to serve the fish. I usually ask everyone what they'd like.
I've seen so many people do this, I don't get why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

Because most people prefer to be treated like adults and choose for themselves.

And time it next week. It probably takes longer than you think.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:52 am
sky wrote:
So were are they for kiddush? Just standing around not at the table. Not drinking from glasses at their seats? Over the plates? . Unless your yekke and wash first.

Standing around the table. No one drinks over the plates while standing around.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:53 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Because most people prefer to be treated like adults and choose for themselves.

What?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:54 am
Someone made this point, then I think edited it away. But it was such a good point, I'm repeating it. And if I missed it in scanning, thumbs up.

How artistically are you plating something when you have to collect the plates to do it? Either its going to take too long, or be slapdash anyway.

If you're concerned about the number of servings, cut it into serving size pieces (leaving a couple of extras for seconds, even if that makes the original serving smaller).

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:56 am
I set the table nicely so it should look nice. DH loves to see a nicely set table when he comes home. Qe have chragers and when I set with plates, the plates go on the chargers.
I think it's pretty disgusting for fish to sit out in the open for 1/2 an hour.

Kiddush and Motzei take you half an hour?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:56 am
I plate my table with a big plate, a small plate, and a dip plate. I serve all the food I'm pretty platters in the middle of the table. I hate when my food is plated for me so I prefer not to do that for guests.
If I make a meal with an appetizer, then I plate the appetizer before the meal and it is out when we start eating.
Sometimes, I will put out the big plates, and the dip plates, and serve the appetizer as soon as we are finished with the dips.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:57 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Kiddush and Motzei take you half an hour?

No, but if you put out the fish before the men come home, it sits out for a while.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:58 am
When I set the table for Shabbos I set dinner plates and salad plates. I put the fish out before DH gets home, before everyone is seated.

Sometimes when I have company, I serve fish on platters to pass around, because I make different types (like salmon, gefilte, etc...)

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:59 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Someone made this point, then I think edited it away. But it was such a good point, I'm repeating it. And if I missed it in scanning, thumbs up.

How artistically are you plating something when you have to collect the plates to do it? Either its going to take too long, or be slapdash anyway.

If you're concerned about the number of servings, cut it into serving size pieces (leaving a couple of extras for seconds, even if that makes the original serving smaller).

I plate normal, nice & appetizing. How long does it take to put a piece of fish on a plate? I feel like I'm on a different planet, most people I have ever eaten at do the same.
I don't host huge meals of 20 people, it's usually my family and when we have guests it's usually just a couple with little kids or a single guy.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:01 am
No, but if you put out the fish before the men come home, it sits out for a while.

So it comes to room temperature and the flavour comes through more clearly. What's wrong with that? If I'm serving anything cold, I'll normally take it out of the fridge before shul so that it has time to come to room temperature before being served. I hate fridge temperature food.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:04 am
I don't want to sound judgy about what anyone does, but I feel that collecting the plates is really strange. And potentially not so sanitary (you could be given back a plate that someone else had and touched.....)
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note