Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Att tofu mavens
Previous  1  2

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:53 pm
Please research the effects of soy on the body. You might want to use sparingly in your child's diet. I was a vegetarian for many years and ate a lot of tofu and soy products. I had hormonal/medical issues because of it.

Cookin4days

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:59 pm
Not so familiar with tofu.. but I do follow a blog and she has tofu recipes and some vegan recipes as well, hope it helps.

https://somethingnutritiousblog.com/

MiriFr

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Chocolate Mousse: Drain 1 *silken* tofu. Melt 1 bag chocolate chips. Puree tofu and melted chocolate with 1/2 cup of sugar and a splash of pure vanilla extract.

Mock Meatballs: Sauté chopped onion and veggies. Drop into food processor along with pressed tofu, breadcrumbs, a bit of flour if needed, season and taste as you go. Form into meatballs and bake for 20 minutes on cookie sheet. Drop into your favorite bubbling sauce and simmer 20 minutes.

Stuffed Peppers: Drain and rinse canned lentils. Mix with cooked rice and toss with taco seasoning until tasty. Stuff peppers with the mixture. Top with 2 spoons of marinara sauce. Bake uncovered in the oven, or cook in
covered crockpot, until tender.

Lasagna: Drain and press firm tofu. Process with lemon, fresh garlic, oregano, salt and pepper (nutritional yeast optional for cheesy taste) to make ricotta. Mix tofu ricotta with spinach (frozen, thawed and squeezed dry - if you have time it's even better if you sauté it with onion and garlic) and season very well until tasty.
Make a few layers - sauce, cooked lasagna, marinara sauce (you can add lentils to this layer for a heartier dish), tofu ricotta, sauce, lasagna... Top the lasagna with alternating dollops of marinara and tofu cream (silken tofu processed with parve milk, lemon, garlic, herbs s&p) and garnish with basil leaves. (You can make a small individual one for him in a small loaf pan the size of a cooked lasagna noodle; layer up, and it comes out neat and pretty).
Bake.

Chickpea Tuna Salad
https://www.liveeatlearn.com/c.....alad/

Mmmmmmm 😋

MiriFr

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:01 pm
shanarishona wrote:
I love tofu with:
Tamari sauce and maple syrup
Tamari sauce and peanut butter (you said nut free but I know peanut is different)
Teriyaki sauce (a small amount) and bone sucking sauce (similar to bbq sauce)

Drain.
Wrap in paper towels
Cut and cube

Firm and extra firm are yum

I cook uncovered 20-30 min (depending on if you want softer or crispier)

And I usually do roasted veg to go with it.
Or rice or noodles.

Thank you for your ideas! He’s highly allergic (probable anaphylaxis) to peanuts Sad
Love the rest of the ideas!

MiriFr

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Please research the effects of soy on the body. You might want to use sparingly in your child's diet. I was a vegetarian for many years and ate a lot of tofu and soy products. I had hormonal/medical issues because of it.

I did. I read every medical journal on Google Scholar studying the effects of soy on testosterone. He’s gonna b ok Smile I’m sorry about what you’ve experienced!
Theoretically, how would I use it sparingly, anyway? Do you have other protein ideas for me?

MiriFr

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:04 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
Not so familiar with tofu.. but I do follow a blog and she has tofu recipes and some vegan recipes as well, hope it helps.

https://somethingnutritiousblog.com/

This looks super cool. Thank you 🙏

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:16 pm
MiriFr wrote:
I did. I read every medical journal on Google Scholar studying the effects of soy on testosterone. He’s gonna b ok Smile I’m sorry about what you’ve experienced!
Theoretically, how would I use it sparingly, anyway? Do you have other protein ideas for me?

Sparingly meaning not in 15-ish out of 21 meals a week like I did way back then.

Fermented soy is not supposed to have the same issues so tempeh would be healthier but personally I never enjoyed it as much.

If you want a great tofu-based dessert that is almost idiotically easy.... find (or make) a cookie crumb type pie shell he's not allergic to, put a block of silken tofu into a food processor with a bag of melted chocolate chips (don't know what his allergies are but guessing Enjoy Life should be safe brand) and blend well then pour into pie shell and refrigerate for many hours.

I also especially loved fried tofu cubes. Coated with flour of choice and pan fried or dipped in tempura batter and fried. Don't know if that works with your child's allergies, but it's nice getting something that's at least sort of close to a chicken nugget I guess.

ETA: Just re-read your OP and see child in question is a baby. Not sure how old a baby so hope suggestions above are appropriate.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:35 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Sparingly meaning not in 15-ish out of 21 meals a week like I did way back then.

Fermented soy is not supposed to have the same issues so tempeh would be healthier but personally I never enjoyed it as much.

If you want a great tofu-based dessert that is almost idiotically easy.... find (or make) a cookie crumb type pie shell he's not allergic to, put a block of silken tofu into a food processor with a bag of melted chocolate chips (don't know what his allergies are but guessing Enjoy Life should be safe brand) and blend well then pour into pie shell and refrigerate for many hours.

I also especially loved fried tofu cubes. Coated with flour of choice and pan fried or dipped in tempura batter and fried. Don't know if that works with your child's allergies, but it's nice getting something that's at least sort of close to a chicken nugget I guess.

ETA: Just re-read your OP and see child in question is a baby. Not sure how old a baby so hope suggestions above are appropriate.

Thanks Smile Almost all of his meals are soy-based, but I don’t have any other protein choices.
For breakfast he has cereal with soy milk.

For lunch he has pasta or oatmeal.

For supper he’s been eating packaged soy chicken nuggets or vegan French toast made with soy milk. Today I tried to make a chickpea burger for him. It was so delicious, I want to write it down for me for the 9 days. But he hated it! Which totally killed a small part of me.

For snacks he has regular snack foods- crackers, rice cakes, fruits that he’s not allergic to, he has a soy yogurt every day. He has 2 soy milk bottles a day. Bh he grew out of his cocoa bean allergy, so now he can have chocolate chip cookies and brownies.
I give him smoothies with avocado and bananas and nutrient dense add-ins.

He’s a yr and a half, and he eats regular adult food that he’s not allergic to, and that he’s not picky about.
I feel so bad for the poor boy Sad

mommy2

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:42 pm
Pick up limes website and YouTube channel has amazing tofu recipes and vegan meals.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:43 pm
Are there non-soy and non-allergen-containing protein powders you could use to make him smoothies? Check out Sun Warrior brand.

Also what about pureeing other kinds of beans (if he isn't keen on eating pile of beans) into a veggie soup? Or since he can eat pasta, puree the beans with some tomatoes or other veggies into a pasta sauce?

Just trying to offer other options.

Frumme

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:45 pm
MiriFr wrote:

Do you give him beans and lentils? Rice and beans together are a complete protein

By the way, maybe try alternative alternative milks instead of just soy milk. Oat milk is really wonderful. We like the Chobani extra creamy. OU pareve
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics