Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you ask your boss for pumping breaks

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:18 pm
I'm working in a small office which rents space in a building with other offices. I had a baby recently and I'm pumping in the bathroom cuz I work in a cubicle.
Do you think I have to inform my boss I'm taking a daily 20 min pumping break? Or not his business what I do in the bathroom. I feel weird cuz he comes to bring me work or tries to call me and sees I'm not there.... but I'm uncomfortable explaining I'm taking pumping breaks

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:19 pm
Legally you are entitled to these breaks.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Legally you are entitled to these breaks.

Absolutely

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:40 pm
I would tell him. And legally he also needs to do his best to find you a suitable place to pump. It’s not fun in the bathroom!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:41 pm
Legally you are entitled to breaks and he's required to give you a private space. Legally he doesn't have to pay you for your break time.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:43 pm
Do you want to pump in a bathroom? In a lot of places they have to provide you with a room that is not the bathroom to pump. I don’t tell my boss when I pump, but it’s implied when I say I need to take a break, or if he sees the do not disturb sign on the door. You should maintain whatever level of discretion keeps you most comfortable, without worrying if your boss will be upset if you use the term pumping break. If you are concerned your boss won’t know where you are when you disappear for 20 minutes, you could always leave a note on your desk saying that you’ll be back at approximately x time, but he can reach you by email until then or whatever.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:06 am
Of course you need to tell him, he does not hve to pay you for that time although he does have to provide you a space thats not a bathroom.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:52 am
We are entitled to paid breaks.
I took two 15 minute pumping breaks besides my lunch break when I ran to the daycare to nurse.
I used a spare room with a lock.
I don't remember if I told my boss. Probably not. He never looked for me anyway.
My officemate used our office whenever she saw me leave. Then she would lock me out. Not cool.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics