Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Yearly dog costs

lucky14

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 1:48 pm
Around how much does it cost each year to own a dog? I'm thinking veterinary bills and food. Not talking about medication emergency expenses. Boarding is not an issue since we have family who could take care of it.
Just on a normal typical year routine medical/food expenses?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 1:56 pm
A dog does not need to go to the vet every year. Or if so its just for vaccines.
We are in israel but id say any yearly shots come to maybe 2 or 3 hundred shekels.
And food, we have a medium size dog, each bag is around 250 shekels and lasts a few months, so maybe 1000 shekels a year.so if I roubd up, maybe aroubd 4 hundred dollars or so.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 3:17 pm
A lot. Especially when your dog gets into your child’s backpack and avails himself to a whole box of a sugar free gum. And then you stuck with a more than 3K bill. True story 😱

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
A lot. Especially when your dog gets into your child’s backpack and avails himself to a whole box of a sugar free gum. And then you stuck with a more than 3K bill. True story 😱

My coworkers dog ate their x-mas decoration. Besides puking all over the house his stomach meds were over 1k.
He claims it’s costing a fortune but worth every penny.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 4:10 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
A dog does not need to go to the vet every year. Or if so its just for vaccines.
We are in israel but id say any yearly shots come to maybe 2 or 3 hundred shekels.
And food, we have a medium size dog, each bag is around 250 shekels and lasts a few months, so maybe 1000 shekels a year.so if I roubd up, maybe aroubd 4 hundred dollars or so.

I think they go once a year after they're a year old, but its pretty often in the first few months, for vaccines. And then if they're sick or hurt, which happens. Our local vet costs about $250 per visit.

Food isn't particularly expensive, but they also get occasional treats (yes, the puppy gets a Shabbat treat; yes, I'm a pushover). Don't forget the cost of harness, leash, bed, crate and grooming.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 4:47 pm
If you want a more predictable expense, you should look into pet health insurance. I have a couple friends who are dog-owners that swear by it.

greenhelm

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:39 pm
You may also have to factor in the cost of doggy daycare or a dog walker.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 7:44 am
challahchallah wrote:
If you want a more predictable expense, you should look into pet health insurance. I have a couple friends who are dog-owners that swear by it.

This. I have a cat, not a dog, but I absolutely recommend getting pet health insurance, the earlier the better.

bwaybabe85

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:29 am
I have a 14 year old dog. For veterinary bills, pet insurance, grooming, wee wee pads, food, dental treats, monthly heartworm and flea preventatives, calming supplements, arthritis supplements and other medications I'd estimate it costs 4-5k a year. I'm in NYC and the vet charges a lot more than when I lived in Brooklyn. Pet insurance has also increased from 300 a year as a pup to over 1200 a year as a senior dog.

Last edited by bwaybabe85 on Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:30 am
And don't forget tick and worm meds!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:34 am
I’m surprised no one mentioned grooming! That’s our biggest bill. Every 5-6 weeks $75. Food not so expensive. We pay $30 a month for pet insurance which is totally worth it if something catastrophic happens. Toys ans treats add up. But like others said totally worth it!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets