Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is this ok to do in school

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:26 pm
dc gets therapy in school. one day dc, school age came home saying that sometimes therapist takes her out to public places for a treat. Alone or in a small group. Always to public places. usualy walkingn sometimes by car. Never heard or this being done. Is it safe for my dc to go alone? Therapist seems sweet. Just strangento me

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:30 pm
I can't speak to what's normal for therapists, but my children's school requires parents to sign a permission slip for any excursions off school property, even if it's literally down the block. I'm surprised you'd first hear about this from your child and not have been asked first (if it is otherwise normal).

amother
Fuchsia

amother [ OP ] wrote:
dc gets therapy in school. one day dc, school age came home saying that sometimes therapist takes her out to public places for a treat. Alone or in a small group. Always to public places. usualy walkingn sometimes by car. Never heard or this being done. Is it safe for my dc to go alone? Therapist seems sweet. Just strangento me

Check with the school. Legally, a child can not leave school property without written permission from a parent in advance. The school is opening themselves up to legal issues if this is actually going on.

imasinger

What kind of therapy?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:31 pm
My brother in laws therapist he see's at school does this but the parents know about it beforehand.
I'd be very upset if this was done against my knowledge. It's not ok to take kids off school grounds without the parents knowledge. My kids once came home from school that they had a surprise apple picking trip that day. I called the school right away & said that parents must know when kids are taken off grounds.

naomi2

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:11 pm
It can be normal or not depending on details. It's not clear from your post.
Anyway, of you aren't happy with it, let them know not to take him out anymore

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:19 pm
This was without my knowlege but curious if this was something that needed permission-and in that case would you have objected for any reason. Or just told beforhand also if this is done regularly-on random days and intervals. does it have to be told beforehand

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This was without my knowlege but curious if this was something that needed permission-and in that case would you have objected for any reason. Or just told beforhand also if this is done regularly-on random days and intervals. does it have to be told beforehand

A child should not be taken out of school without a parents knowledge. I don't think it's ever acceptable.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:04 pm
I am so surprised, as someone who's been in head counselor, day school administrator, and principal positions.

The #1 rule is to know where kids are all at times, half for safety and half for liability. For ex in high school every girl had to sign in and out when coming and going off campus. Realistically in a fire drill the teachers (who come in and out each period) won't know who's gone, the friends might, but at least I have it on paper to refer back to!

In day camp we had to call parents up the morning of the trip, or tell them at dropoff, or even nebach keep a kid in the office, if parent hadn't signed a specific waiver or permission form (that some facilities require in addition to the generic camp one signed with registration)

Basically OP, this isn't normal regardless of how professional or not your school is. If Gd forbid there is an accident, something happens, who is taking achrayus??

You can sue that school up and down if something happens in the crosswalk when to your knowledge, your child was sitting at a desk. You can probably claim it (legally) as a kidnapping event too ie you didn't know your child's whereabouts.

It makes zero sense and I would call up the school and yell at them and tell them exactly this. It's 100% wrong

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:08 pm
Is it possible you signed some kind of waiver at the beginning of the year, and forgot?

Either way, long before you reach the lawsuit stage, how about talking to the therapist?

avrahamama

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:37 pm
I signed a waiver but the school is still required to give notice.

What if you make a lady minute appointment nfot that child? Dentist, doctor, etc. You run to school to pick them up and they're not there because they went on an outing you weren't told about. Now it's unsafe AND inconvenient.

lk1234

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:03 am
No -that is totally unacceptable in my books unless the therapist asked you specifically in advance. Don't know what the school protocol is but 100% the therapist should ask you. I don't want to plant seeds in your head but be very careful that there is no grooming behaviors going on. And absolutely never allow this.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:09 am
Wrong, wrong, wrong. For all the above reasons.

Coffee beanz

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:48 am
I would not be ok with this at all. I agree with everyone else. I would talk to the therapist. If she is licensed I am shocked that she would not consider the liability

Edited for typos Very Happy

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:08 am
Btw, in terms of teachers taking kids somewhere in their own car for a trip...
Our school does NOT allow staff to give students rides. It's part of their safety rule, like a yichud precaution. So the school always has the kids walk or rents buses.

Op, therapists should not be taking kids off campus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics