Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3 71  72  73 75  76  77  Next

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:43 pm
Episode 9 link
https://drive.google.com/file/...../view

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 5:40 am
I loved all the dead people coming back in the last scene, felt like a real finale and made me cry.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 5:55 am
They should have had Sucher, Yissachar there as well

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:07 am
Thanks Essie for all those links. Only way I could watch this.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:13 am
I know this was needed for the plot, but I think that Nuchem leaving that same evening as Akiva didnt make so much sense. Nuchem said he needs to be mesader things with his kalla. The insinuation is that he and Nechama got back together (thanks to Shulem's phone call to her.) So why is he moving out? The wedding is in two weeks. Even if he wants to move out to, say, a hotel for the last two weeks, why would he say he is leaving to be mesader things with his kalla?

hesha

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:18 am
I was disturbed by the last episode
Since when was Shulem the villain??Throughout all three episodes he was always a good hearted person who genuinely cares for his family. Suddenly Akiva is accusing him of ruining all his relationships. Why is that true - in each case (Eli sheva and Libby) he gave him advice that made sense at the time . No mal intent there . And Nochum accuses him of ruining his shidduch . Considering that nochum stole Nechama away and that he wanted to make shady deals with her money , I don’t think that what shulem did was so bad. I feel look putting him in such a negative light at the end is not fair. I didn’t enjoy watching that. And which two chassidish men fight with their hands so that they both land up on the floor? Highly unlikely .

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:30 am
hesha wrote:
Since when was Shulem the villain??Throughout all three episodes he was always a good hearted person who genuinely cares for his family. Suddenly Akiva is accusing him of ruining all his relationships. Why is that true - in each case (Eli sheva and Libby) he gave him advice that made sense at the time . No mal intent there . And Nochum accuses him of ruining his shidduch . Considering that nochum stole Nechama away and that he wanted to make shady deals with her money , I don’t think that what shulem did was so bad. I feel look putting him in such a negative light at the end is not fair. I didn’t enjoy watching that. And which two chassidish men fight with their hands so that they both land up on the floor? Highly unlikely .

Totally agree, and I actually made some of these exact same points upthread.
Good for kiva for standing up for himself, but accusing his father of evil intent was going too far. In truth, his father never tried to keep him back for his own interests. He always tried to help and gave the best advice he could.
I will never understand what Nechama saw in Nuchem. Aside from their shared love of classical music, there are no shared values. Nechama is straight, trusting, compassionate ethical and principled. Nuchem is devious, selfish, shrewd and sadistic. (Remember how he bought the kever next to his mother?) Terrible shidduch.
I wish we could have ended the series with a bit of happiness for Shulem.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:14 am
essie14 wrote:
Episode 9 link
https://drive.google.com/file/...../view

Thanks for the link but it doesn't allow me to download or play, saying that too many people have downloaded it recently. Are you able to send a new one?

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Thanks for the link but it doesn't allow me to download or play, saying that too many people have downloaded it recently. Are you able to send a new one?

I just googled and got it. You can try that as well. It's not my own file.

שטיסל עונה 3 פרק 9

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:03 am
hesha wrote:

You put exactly how I felt into words. The series was great but this upset me too.
I understood the conversation between Akiva and Shulem had a purpose in the writers' minds along the lines of showing Akiva finally grow up, become a man, become independent. There are much better ways they could have done that but they would have needed another episode or two. They crammed so many plot lines into the last season and then shortened it to only nine episodes. The only way to wrap things up was to shrink the wrapping up scenes. Having Akiva confront his father with his little speech was the shortest path to their goal, but neither true to the story nor true to the characters.
I also found Shulem and Nuchem's fight unrealistic and hard to watch but what bothered me more was the awkwardly contrived plot line of Racheli's visit with her father-in-law that again put Shulem in a terrible light. I was upset with the writers turning on Shulem in the final episode to present him as the villain but I still think Shtisel was a masterpiece.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:28 pm
They should have shown more of Akiva and Rachelli- and how they resolved their hesitations- and left Shulem out of the picture, since he really was not the point.

I also would have loved to see Gitty coming to a realization that she has been wrong, not that she went along with Lipa because he threatened her.

I didn't see the point of having Malky come and say goodbye, while giving Lipa dirty looks. With the last episode being so down to the wire, why waste precious time on that storyline which could have stood in it's own after she got the get?

I also would have wanted to see Nuchem show a bit of growth. Maybe where he realizes that it wasn't only Nechama that brought him back to life, but his big brother Shulem who pulled him off the street, gave him shelter and cared for him, even stopping him from committing suicide. And perhaps a bit of remorse for having "stolen" Shulem's date and then trying to go behind Nechama's back and steal from tzedaka money. He ends up with the prize at the end, but he didn't deserve it.

Also, does anyone wonder what happened with all those extras for the movie set?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:50 pm
Who feels like watching everything all over again?
And how do we write to the producers to beg for another season?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 2:27 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Who feels like watching everything all over again?
And how do we write to the producers to beg for another season?

I watched season 1 and 2 probably 10 times, maybe more
but unfortunately this time I‘m definitely not going to watch again 😩

etky

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I watched season 1 and 2 probably 10 times, maybe more
but unfortunately this time I‘m definitely not going to watch again 😩

Was just going to say that.
I watched seasons 1 and 2 only once but when they each concluded I was left with 'an appetite' for the next season.
This time around I feel like I've had enough.
Season 3 was sloppy and melodramatic and way too contrived.
And yeah, I don't like how Shulem was treated. Not fair that the others all got happy endings and he is left alone with the ghosts. I don't see why they were all more deserving than him.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 3:26 pm
etky wrote:
Was just going to say that.
I watched seasons 1 and 2 only once but when they each concluded I was left with 'an appetite' for the next season.
This time around I feel like I've had enough.
Season 3 was sloppy and melodramatic and way too contrived.
And yeah, I don't like how Shulem was treated. Not fair that the others all got happy endings and he is left alone with the ghosts. I don't see why they were all more deserving than him.

I don't disagree. Especially the part about season 3 being melodramatic and contrived. There were beautiful moments like Ruchami and Chanina delivering the mail but there were other scenes, especially involving those two, that were uber melodramatic, almost maudlin. If you read my post above you already know I didn't like what they did with Shulem either. Only one thing you said I take issue with - that you don't see why they were all more deserving than him. In real life sometimes the conniving character like Nuchem does end up on easy street, and often the person you think deserves a happy ending ends up left alone with ghosts. Sad but true to life.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 4:22 pm
Whatever ended up happening with Ruchami and Chanina both delivering mail? They never went back to that! It would have been wonderful to see how that played out. Almost reminds me of the story with the two brothers who delivered wheat to the other brother in middle of the night, and after 3 nights of doing this they met in the middle and realized that they both had the same idea.

In any case, I wanted to thank all the imamother Shtisel fans here for enhancing my enjoyment of the show. It made it so much more fun to watch knowing that there was a group of like minded people to discuss the this with, from the large issues to the nitty gritty. Very Happy

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:18 pm
Every since I stumbled on this site a few weeks ago, I was able to see shtisel in a different light. There were connections I made that I now see are brought in here like the not every story being suitable for everyone theme coming up in multiple places like Malki and Bashevis, but it goes deeper.
https://overmasach.com/%D7%A9%.....7%98/

One thing not said outright in there is that I think Shulem's broken glasses were a symbolic turning point. His perspective changes. He goes to fix them when he goes to fix up the mess he caused between Nuchem and Nechama.

In any case, I think that article is a very insightful read. The ending is brilliant.

And then go back and read about previous episodes Wink I can't remember if I went all the way back but definitely the later ones I gleaned a lot about.

etky

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 2:01 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Every since I stumbled on this site a few weeks ago, I was able to see shtisel in a different light. There were connections I made that I now see are brought in here like the not every story being suitable for everyone theme coming up in multiple places like Malki and Bashevis, but it goes deeper.

One thing not said outright in there is that I think Shulem's broken glasses were a symbolic turning point. His perspective changes. He goes to fix them when he goes to fix up the mess he caused between Nuchem and Nechama.

In any case, I think that article is a very insightful read. The ending is brilliant.

And then go back and read about previous episodes Wink I can't remember if I went all the way back but definitely the later ones I gleaned a lot about.

I agree. Thanks for that link. Indeed מה הפשט and לא כל סיפור מתאים לכל אדם are key words that offer insights into the writers' intentions and are clues to the interpretation of the series - especially the final episode which I see now in a somewhat different light.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 2:04 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:

Thank you! I didn't read it yet, but when I clicked on it, I saw a picture of the promo and under it it says, "Kiva, paid and merciful. " it took a moment, but I realized that it's a translation..
Paid= shulam
Merciful= ruchami
😅😅😅

etky

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 2:14 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Whatever ended up happening with Ruchami and Chanina both delivering mail? They never went back to that! It would have been wonderful to see how that played out. Almost reminds me of the story with the two brothers who delivered wheat to the other brother in middle of the night, and after 3 nights of doing this they met in the middle and realized that they both had the same idea.

In any case, I wanted to thank all the imamother Shtisel fans here for enhancing my enjoyment of the show. It made it so much more fun to watch knowing that there was a group of like minded people to discuss the this with, from the large issues to the nitty gritty. Very Happy

I also very much enjoyed our "exegesis" of Shtisel here - and yes, I immediately thought of O'Henry regarding that scene (one of the best in this season IMO) but you're right. It very much evokes that midrash too, especially since the result of the brothers' loving compromises was binyan habayit and here Ruchami and Chanina were engaging in their own binyan (shalom) bayit.
Page 72 of 77   Previous  1  2  3 71  72  73 75  76  77  Next Recent Topics