Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help with Stroller idea - read OP please!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:47 am
IY"H I am traveling for my nephew's bar mitzvah in May.

I have 3 small children BH - 5, 3, 1. I currently have a double stroller (city mini GE) and a single stroller (bugaboo).

Initially I was going to just bring my double and have my 5 yo walk, but then I realized there will be some nighttime events - bar mitvah night and friday night dinner. Plus we arrive at the airport late at night and I'm sure my 5 yo will be zonked.

The double stroller folds nicely but the single does not. I was thinking to buy a cheap umbrella stroller, but then I wondered if my baby will be able to sleep in it - she's a very large baby (she'll probably be wearing size 24 mos by then).

So my questions are:
1) Any ideas how to handle the sleeping in stroller situations that I'm not thinking of?
2) Any recommendations for a cheap/inexpensive stroller that my large baby (or medium 5 yo) could sleep in comfortably?

TIA

Teomima

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 1:00 am
I really don't think you need a stroller for a 5 year old. I've never used one for any of my kids at that age. But worst case scenario, why not just bring a carrier for your youngest (a good soft structured carrier like an Ergo is great for larger children like your youngest) and that way if you find your 5 year old absolutely needs to go in the stroller, you can put your 1 year old in the carrier.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 2:01 am
Teomima wrote:
I really don't think you need a stroller for a 5 year old. I've never used one for any of my kids at that age. But worst case scenario, why not just bring a carrier for your youngest (a good soft structured carrier like an Ergo is great for larger children like your youngest) and that way if you find your 5 year old absolutely needs to go in the stroller, you can put your 1 year old in the carrier.

Do you mean a baby sling to wear her? I don't think I can. She's 25 lbs and is already way too heavy for me.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 3:32 am
For a tired 5 year old at an event, just let him lay down on some chairs then carry to the car. The airport is trickier but maybe 5 year old can sit on the luggage cart? Won't be able to sleep though.
That's what I would do.

Teomima

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 5:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you mean a baby sling to wear her? I don't think I can. She's 25 lbs and is already way too heavy for me.

No not a sling of course. As I said, a soft structured carrier such as an Ergo (look it up online). If you're walking around, you can back wear easily at that age, and if you're sitting and she's sleeping, she can be hooked on your front.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 8:00 am
I know people that bring scooters for their toddlers in the airport.

The 5 year old don’t need it the whole time. Neither does the 3 year old- they can switch off.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 8:12 am
Are you bringing all 3 children? I would say you would need a double for the 2 younger and borrow another stroller from someone while you're there.
If you are looking to buy another single anyway, I would suggest looking at the city mini single. It folds just as easily as the double and will fit a 5yo. You can get it second hand quite easily.

flower2

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 8:30 am
5yo can walk/ride luggage cart/go on shoulders or can occasionally swap w 3yo

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 8:32 am
When I travel, a stroller for under 5 is a must for me.
Target has some travel strollers for around $100. If you're ok with an umbrella stroller, you can find for even less.

snowflake1

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:52 pm
I have a Summer infant stroller it’s great it pushes well it’s an umbrella stroller but has more perks. Mine has a reclining seat and sunroof that comes all the way down. I am very happy with it. But it does not look stylish if that is important for you.
Another reason I like to bring it is because if it gets ruined on a flight I won’t be so upset as I would with a more expensive stroller

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 11:30 pm
My kids are the same ages as yours, and we do really well with a double city mini with a glider board attached on the back (https://www.babyjogger.com/accessories/glider-board/SAP_2084012.html). It won't help with 5 year old needing to sleep, but helps if too exhausted to walk.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 11:59 pm
At one point I had 4 under 4. We put all 4 in the double. Two would sit in the "back" and another 2 in the front. We have a belly bar so the big ones would sit in front and hold on to belly bar. They were all comfortable and at one point all 4 would sleep it was adorable and like a little clown car.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:46 am
snowflake1 wrote:
I have a Summer infant stroller it’s great it pushes well it’s an umbrella stroller but has more perks. Mine has a reclining seat and sunroof that comes all the way down. I am very happy with it. But it does not look stylish if that is important for you.
Another reason I like to bring it is because if it gets ruined on a flight I won’t be so upset as I would with a more expensive stroller

TY for the info!

Nope - I do not care about style one bit. I care only about practicality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics