Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Source for a story

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 11:37 pm
Anyone recognize this story?

A boy wanted to donate blood for a sibling but you have to be 18 & he was a couple of weeks away from his birthday.

They asked a shayla and were told you must tell the truth.

A couple of weeks later the boy was in a car accident and lost so much blood that if he'd been missing even one pint he would have died.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 11:50 pm
Yes!!!! I know a sibling!!! It's true!!
I believe the story is in a Visions of Greatness book.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:59 am
This strikes me as a story made up to prove a point.
While it's true that red blood cells need a few weeks to regenerate, plasma is back to normal within 24 hours of donation. Not to mention that blood donation is limited to a pint, which is quite a small amount.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 1:57 am
Pesach Krohn tells this story. It's in one of his earlier books.
In the later Maggid books, there is an extensive bibliography, and it lists all the stories in the series according to topic. You should be able to find the story if you look under "Emes"

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 2:05 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]

A couple of weeks later the boy was in a car accident and lost so much blood that if he'd been missing even one pint he would have died.[/quote]

A couple of weeks later the body would have regenerated the full volume and a good proportion of the red blood cells. It sounds like one of those inspirational stories which are more based in emotion that actual facts.

Not that I am criticising the principle of telling the truth in any way. It should be a basic principle, not one that needs to encourage by inspirational stories.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 2:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone recognize this story?

A boy wanted to donate blood for a sibling but you have to be 18 & he was a couple of weeks away from his birthday.

They asked a shayla and were told you must tell the truth.

A couple of weeks later the boy was in a car accident and lost so much blood that if he'd been missing even one pint he would have died.

I heard this from a wonderful sub we had in 11th grade. I think she said this story happened to her son. Unless my memory is really failing me...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room