Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
My friend left facebook

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 4:50 am
My friend left facebook permanently, and deleted messenger. She lives in Denver.

I enjoyed reading her posts, seeing photos of her kids, and occasionally chatting on messenger. But we’re not close enough to email... I think.

How do you keep up with people who aren’t on social media?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:23 am
Unfortunately I mostly don't Hiding

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:28 am
I also left all of Facebook & company recently.

You can reach out & tell her what you wrote here, that you enjoyed her posts & would love to keep in touch. Maybe it will progress to a text chat once in a while or a phone call occasionally. No one gets offended that they are liked and someone cares.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:29 am
sequoia wrote:
My friend left facebook permanently, and deleted messenger. She lives in Denver.

I enjoyed reading her posts, seeing photos of her kids, and occasionally chatting on messenger. But we’re not close enough to email... I think.

How do you keep up with people who aren’t on social media?

So was she really a friend, or someone who wrote interesting posts?

If you think there was real friendship, try emailing her and saying that you will miss her on Facebook and hope it will be possible to maintain a connection by email. If you value each other as friends, you will both be willing to put in the effort to maintain it. If it was more on the level of a casual acquaintance, it will naturally die out.

She may be making an effort to live more in the real world, in which case all you can do is respect that. Persuading her back to Facebook would be counterproductive.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:32 am
In descending order of technological sophistication: whatsapp/facetime, email, phone, snail mail.
I don't feel the need to be super close to someone to email. The closeness comes from the topics discussed, not from the medium used.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:32 am
I don't have social media. I keep up with friends mostly via text. I'm on afew different group chats with various friends.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:46 am
Right, but we live in different countries, so it has to be internet based rather than phone based.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:51 am
sequoia wrote:
Right, but we live in different countries, so it has to be internet based rather than phone based.

If she has Gmail you can use Google Hangouts or the Google chat

southernbubby

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:56 am
I left Facebook in 2017. One friend from high school sends emails but I haven't kept up with everyone else.

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 6:02 am
I have a friend that is leaving FB. She posted that she was doing so, and anyone who didn't have her contact information and wanted it could ask her now.

I believe that someone you chat with on FB would be perfectly comfortable to email occasionally. There's no social expectation that doing so is weird.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:15 pm
whatsapp!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:24 pm
I left FB a couple months ago and glad about my decision overall but there were a handful of people who I liked to keep up with now and then but would feel awkward reaching out to outside of FB. I guess that's just an unfortunate loss for me unless I get brave enough to reach out of my comfort zone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media