Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is it okay to regift wine from 2018?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:04 am
I stopped drinking many years ago and I’d like
to give this bottle of wine away that I’ve been holding onto for regifting purposes. (Why get rid of a good bottle of wine?)

On the bottle it says 2018. Is it still good to give as part of MM? Idk.

Please be kind. Sunny
Thanks in advance.

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:10 am
If it's unopened, sure.

In general, wine is said to improve with age.

mamma llama

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:12 am
I don't know a lot about wines, but they do say that wine gets better with age... Cheers

Two things to think about before you regift it though:
A) Is there an expiration date?
B) Make sure the wine is still the right color!

blueberry6

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:17 am
My husband (the wine expert in the family lol) says that wine lasts about 6 years in the bottle before it starts to taste bad.
Unless it's a really really expensive wine, in which case it will just get better with age.
Not sure what "really expensive" means though... LOL

challahchallah

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:26 am
Where was it stored? If it’s been somewhere cool like a basement, totally fine. If it’s been temperature cycling in your hot kitchen, could easily have gone bad.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:51 am
challahchallah wrote:
Where was it stored? If it’s been somewhere cool like a basement, totally fine. If it’s been temperature cycling in your hot kitchen, could easily have gone bad.

Thanks! It’s been stored in a cool place.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:52 am
blueberry6 wrote:
My husband (the wine expert in the family lol) says that wine lasts about 6 years in the bottle before it starts to taste bad.
Unless it's a really really expensive wine, in which case it will just get better with age.

Amazing! Thanks for your help!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:53 am
mamma llama wrote:
I don't know a lot about wines, but they do say that wine gets better with age... Cheers

Two things to think about before you regift it though:
A) Is there an expiration date?
B) Make sure the wine is still the right color!

No expiration date and the color looks the same as far as I can remember. Thanks!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:54 am
imasinger wrote:
If it's unopened, sure.

In general, wine is said to improve with age.

Thanks so much! I’m going to go for it! Cheers

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:56 am
I've tasted wine that went bad, many times (the local kosher wine place has low turnover). Unless it's a special vintage expensive brand, it probably has gone bad. Just an fyi.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 1:01 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I've tasted wine that went bad, many times (the local kosher wine place has low turnover). Unless it's a special vintage expensive brand, it probably has gone bad. Just an fyi.

Hmm okay thanks for your input. Good to know.

bobeli

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 2:46 am
Depending on the wine, red ages better than white.
Dry better than sweet.
Some wines are good even after 2 years if they are from a good vintage, meaning that wine that year was good, if its an expensive wine you might find that information with a quick search as good years are recorded, etc.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:54 am
“Wine gets better with age” before it goes into the bottle.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 4:40 am
blueberry6 wrote:

The wine doesn't know its price tag.

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:42 am
Here in Israel you can get a lot of wines from previous years in the shops - never had a bad one. I opened a bottle of some Merlot red wine from 2018 for last Shabbat - it was perfectly good. We also had something from 2014 or 2016 a few weeks back - it was still good.
Dh once opened a 10 year old bottle which somehow had survived at the back of the drinks cabinet. It had dark sediment on the bottom and tasted like vinegar, so 10 years seems to be too much for cheapo wines.

elaela

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:57 am
absolutely

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:54 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
“Wine gets better with age” before it goes into the bottle.

This. Once the wine is in the glass bottle, it doesn't get better with age. Depending on the wine, it may have gone bad by now.
The stores sell wine from afew years ago, it means that it was made that year but bottled recently.

mizle10

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:16 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
Here in Israel you can get a lot of wines from previous years in the shops - never had a bad one. I opened a bottle of some Merlot red wine from 2018 for last Shabbat - it was perfectly good. We also had something from 2014 or 2016 a few weeks back - it was still good.
Dh once opened a 10 year old bottle which somehow had survived at the back of the drinks cabinet. It had dark sediment on the bottom and tasted like vinegar, so 10 years seems to be too much for cheapo wines.

Wine in a store labelled 2014 means the grapes were harvested in 2014 and was recently bottled. Cheap wine sitting in your house for 2 years is not the same thing.
If it’s an expensive bottle it should be good. A cheap bottle probably went bad by now.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:56 pm

Yes, wine does age in the bottle. But not every wine should be purposefully aged in its bottle. 90% of bottled wines are meant to be drunk right after bottling or at maximum five years after bottling. That corresponds to wines with retail prices of roughly $40 and below (here’s a helpful post about wine bottle pricing). After around five years the composition of the phenolic compounds fundamentally alters the wine’s character.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:48 pm
I work in the wine industry, do you want to tell me which wine it is? I’ll tell you its worth.
And actually, a 2018 wine is still very young Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics