Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Anxiety Attacks - what kind of doctor...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:57 am
I’m experiencing extreme anxiety.
Who can prescribe something ASAP?
I’m in mid forties...can it be related to peri menopause?
I’ve had an annual checkup recently with PCP and everything was fine BH.
I’ve never had such debilitating anxiety.
It’s causing panic attacks.
TIA

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:58 am
Psychiatrist

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:59 am
You can go to a psychiatrist. If you don't want to, sometimes your PCP will prescribe something for you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:00 am
[quote="amother [ Plum ]"]Psychiatrist[/quote

Thanks.
But I want to take something to calm me today.
I don’t want to wait a few weeks for appointment.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m experiencing extreme anxiety.
Who can prescribe something ASAP?
I’m in mid forties...can it be related to peri menopause?
I’ve had an annual checkup recently with PCP and everything was fine BH.
I’ve never had such debilitating anxiety.
It’s causing panic attacks.
TIA

I have suffered anxiety with perimenopause. I know many other women who have. A good psychiatrist can help you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:01 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I have suffered anxiety with perimenopause. I know many other women who have. A good psychiatrist can help you.

Thanks
Can anyone recommend one who accepts
UHC community plan?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:03 am
Psychiatrist is better than pcp.
I guess if you get pcp appointment first, try that, but still right now make psychiatrist appointment.

Just want to give you chizuk. My dh has tremendous anxiety. After a few years, he started meds. some made things worse, some helpe but had annoying side effects, some you try two together... And some worked beautifully, bli ayin hara
You have to be willing to not give up and keep going back if things need tweaking. That being said, you need to give most meds at least a 6 week chance.

Meds can be an absolute life saver!
Hatzlacha!!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks
Can anyone recommend one who accepts
UHC community plan?

No, but call customer service and ask them to give you the names of a few psychiatrists. You can thn google them to see where they went to med school, trained, and if they have online reviews.

I know it's a pain and that you're feeling lousy NOW, in solidarity.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:04 am
Can you get in touch with your PCP today? Even for a telemedicine appointment? He/she should be able to prescribe something for now and point you in the right direction to deal with this further

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:27 am
My dh suffered on anxiety and sometimes still does. Medication made him into a bigger mess. He stopped it after a few months and things are generally much better bh. In addition to that hes using dr sarnos method to pinpoint where the anxiety is from. It really helps. Then theres also stuff u can take that vitamin based. Theres gaba max. Really helped dh. There are a few more options.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:34 am
I would recommend talking to your pcp and getting something for the time being. In the interim make an appointment with a qualified psychiatrist.

Btdt. Hug

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:19 pm
Functional medicine MD so they could help you address root causes instead of just using bandaid medication (not saying there isn’t a time and place for meds, but when the cause seems so obvious — hormones, it seems silly not to at least try and balance them). Until you get there, cleaning up your diet, improving gut health, taking magnesium, minerals and b vitamins, supporting your liver especially with DIM to metabolize excess estrogen, seed cycling, gaba and 5htp, ashwahganda, l theanine can all be very helpful.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:25 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Psychiatrist[/quote

Thanks.
But I want to take something to calm me today.
I don’t want to wait a few weeks for appointment.

You can make appointment with a psychiatrist and your PCP may be willing to prescribe something until you meet the new doctor.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:32 pm
Update: BH the doctor’s office squeezed me in for an appointment, and the doctor prescribed klonopin to take at night on a “as needed” basis”.
Now I’m venting and seeking support for the shame I had to go through at the pharmacy.
I asked the doctor to send the Rx to a local heimish pharmacy I’ve never used before, because I was ashamed to pick up from the small pharmacist I use regularly.
The tech at the new pharmacy asked me what pharmacist I usually use, and I politely asked why he’s asking.
He responded in a rude tone, saying we don’t have a profile for you, and it’s a controlled narcotic, so I can’t give it to you.
I left the pharmacy, and called the doctor’s office asking if they could please send the RX to a different pharmacy as this one refused.
They said the doctor would call and speak to them.
I called the pharmacist back to confirm that they spoke to the doctor.
I complained that the tech was nasty to me and he started yelling at me that I should use another pharmacy, and that he was only filling it because the doctor was nice and he vouched for me, and that I was a nasty person.
That the only reason I was coming to them, a pharmacy I never used before was because I probably tried to get the drug from another pharmacist who refused to dispense it.
Basically implying that I’m a drug addict.
I’m crying so hard 😭

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update: BH the doctor’s office squeezed me in for an appointment, and the doctor prescribed klonopin to take at night on as a “as needed” basis”.
Now I’m venting and seeking support for the shame I had to go through at the pharmacy.
I asked the doctor to send the Rx to a local heimish pharmacy I’ve never used before, because I was ashamed to pick up from the small pharmacist I use regularly.
The tech at the new pharmacy asked me what pharmacist I usually use, and I politely asked why he’s asking.
He responded in a rude tone, saying we don’t have a profile for you, and it’s a controlled narcotic, so I can’t give it to you.
I left the pharmacy, and called the doctor’s office asking if they could please send the RX to a different pharmacy as this one refused.
They said the doctor would call and speak to them.
I called the pharmacist back to confirm that they spoke to the doctor.
I complained that the tech was nasty to me and he started yelling at me that I should use another pharmacy, and that he was only filling it because the doctor was nice, and he vouched for me, and that I was a nasty person.
That the only reason I was coming to them, a pharmacy I never used before was because I probably tried to get the drug from another pharmacist who refused it,
Basically implying that I’m a drug addict.
I’m crying so hard 😭

That's awful Hug
I think they get annoyed when they see you don't use them all the time (they can see past charges on profile).

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:53 pm
Oy that rudeness just adds to the anxiety.
Sorry you had to go through that. Hugs Hug

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:58 pm
Please check for lyme and coinfections. (Especially if u live in NJ or Monsey, or were in the country this summer).
It can cause physical symptoms that mimic anxiety attacks. And can be treated with antibiotics.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:10 am
Op I feel like I wrote your post I actually thought I did until I scrolled down and read all of it. How are you feeling? Did you find a dr that was able to help?

STMommy

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:04 pm
I'm so sorry for what you went through, OP.

Help yourself right now by getting these 3 over the counter products that kept me sane until my SSRI prescription kicked in.
1. Rescue Remedy. You put 4 drops on your tongue and it stops a panic attack.
2. L-theanine pills (200 mg)
3. some kind of relaxation tea like Cup of Calm

You will feel immediate relief.

Thank you to FranticFrummie who saved me with these recommendations.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:15 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Op I feel like I wrote your post I actually thought I did until I scrolled down and read all of it. How are you feeling? Did you find a dr that was able to help?

My PCP prescribed klonopin.
(He also prescribed exercise and taking walks outdoors).
I feel better BH.

Sending you lots of love and sympathy.

Feel better
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries