Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Pls Help Me Design Living Room

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:07 am
Hi,any Interior designers here? Need advice on decorating a large empty spacious living room thats veeeery narrow and wide. We have 6 Kids ranging from 2 to 17. Would love the gold tones maybe add in blue. What sofa? What rugs/wall decor? Should it be a corner large sofa or just a 3 seater?

Were not very well off but have a budget of 3k total

MiriFr

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:09 pm
Is it narrow, or is it wide? Wink
What are the dimensions?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 2:09 pm
wiiiiiiiiiiide but only 8 feet deep

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 2:31 pm
I'm not an interior decorator, but how about 2 sofas one on each end of wide space? What else do you want/need in the living room besides sofas? What is the wall/ window/ space like?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 4:33 pm
I suggest use fiverr.com

U will get a visual layout of your room, for an inexpensive price

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 4:44 pm
You mean narrow and long

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 4:44 pm
Go to the Houzz.com forum and post this request. There are people who love to offer help in terms of design.

In order to get good advice you need to draw a rough sketch with dimensions and show where windows and doors are.

You should also indicate why kind of styles you like. Otherwise it is like asking someone to recommend a skirt without further information.

Also what is the budget - are you looking for a $1000 sofa or a $10,000 sofa. Is this a room that will be used all the time for activities or more formal gathering. Will there be a lot of toys that need to be stored in this room or do you keep toys in a playroom or kids' bedrooms.

It is very helpful to look at pictures in the internet to see what you like - these are called inspiration photos because even if you don't duplicate them exactly, you can show people or find things that give the same look and feel.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:02 pm
What r the dimensions? Where are the windows and doorways?

Malkqueen

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:22 pm
No links to products, but for the layout:

You may want to split it into 2 sitting areas, divided either with a backless bookcase, credenza, or by putting 2 couches back-to-back. This way you'll have enough seating for adults and kids. Another advantage: if the room is very wide and you spread the seating across, conversation can be difficult. By making 2 smaller seating areas, you keep the room cozier.

Bleemee

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
Go to the Houzz.com forum and post this request. There are people who love to offer help in terms of design.

In order to get good advice you need to draw a rough sketch with dimensions and show where windows and doors are.

You should also indicate why kind of styles you like. Otherwise it is like asking someone to recommend a skirt without further information.

Also what is the budget - are you looking for a $1000 sofa or a $10,000 sofa. Is this a room that will be used all the time for activities or more formal gathering. Will there be a lot of toys that need to be stored in this room or do you keep toys in a playroom or kids' bedrooms.

It is very helpful to look at pictures in the internet to see what you like - these are called inspiration photos because even if you don't duplicate them exactly, you can show people or find things that give the same look and feel.

(Not OP) When you post to Houzz forum you upload a sketch?

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:21 pm
Bleemee wrote:
(Not OP) When you post to Houzz forum you upload a sketch?

Yes - if you check the forums, there are always loads of pictures and diagrams. You can upload photos or diagrams that are in the appropriate format which is jpeg.

It's very easy to upload from your computer or iPad (and presumably phone but I don't like working with small screens for stuff like that). There is a *thing* at the bottom which is Photo and there is also Houzz photo. It's pretty self explanatory when you make a comment and look at the options at the bottom.

It's really impossible for people to give design advice unless they have pictures or diagrams. In this case, you would need a diagram of the room to advise on layout and then pictures are helpful as well as people will respond with pictures of their suggestions or what they have done in their own homes or professional designers showing their work product.

It's really an incredibly helpful website for anyone dealing with any kind of home issue - whether it is remodeling or maintenance. When I was remodeling it enabled me to make so many improvements and have lots of suggestions - even though I was working with a designer, it was still helpful to run options by other people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics