Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Keeping kids calm (dentist)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:35 am
My daughter got hysterical as soon as she sat down. The dentist said laughing gas won't make her calm, only keep her calm. He wants to put her to sleep cuz she's getting so hysterical and has a few things needed to take care of, doesn't see how she'll get through a few appointments crying like this. Any way to calm her beforehand? Vitamins or anything?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:38 am
I do laughing gas and it's a miracle worker! It definitely calms the kid down and keeps them calm. I wouldn't put to sleep without trying laughing gas first. I also switched dentists because our dentist used to yell at the kids which made them cry even more.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter got hysterical as soon as she sat down. The dentist said laughing gas won't make her calm, only keep her calm. He wants to put her to sleep cuz she's getting so hysterical and has a few things needed to take care of, doesn't see how she'll get through a few appointments crying like this. Any way to calm her beforehand? Vitamins or anything?

Have you thought about a different dentist? We had a child dentist who was a holy terror, she contributed to my fear on dentists to this day (and I have the sweetest, frum dentist now!, but I am still scared of him.)

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:49 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Have you thought about a different dentist? We had a child dentist who was a holy terror, she contributed to my fear on dentists to this day (and I have the sweetest, frum dentist now!, but I am still scared of him.)

This. A dentist who is good with kids should be able to help her feel comfortable.
I gather this is for fillings? How old is she?
Wondering if watching a video on your phone will calm her long enough to freeze her mouth, and distract her while dentist works?

I'll add, your calm demeanor, and reassuring talk can go a long way.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:34 am
I alway sat in the dentist chair with my kid on my lap until the kids were too old to sit in my lap.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:37 am
Switch dentists. My dentist is amazing and my anxious kids are completely calm and comfortable. Makes such a difference.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 1:05 pm
Cbd oil, magnesium and Benadryl before.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 1:15 pm
You need a new dentist. My kids were the worst dental patients. They were terrified to begin with and then dentist #1 had them held down by assistants. Ditto with dentists #2 and #3 but with the addition of the laughing gas and that stuff doesn't help enough when your children are that flipped out. Enter dentist #4. No gas. No holding down. No starting work at all until children agreed. Spoke to them in soothing voice, was honest and told them everything he was doing every step of the way, gained their trust, had a great demeanor. Dentists 1,2 and 3 were telling me to do sedation and I wouldn't agree. Kids should not need sedation for basic dentistry. I'm so sorry I ever let those monsters hold my kids down and terrorize them. If only I had known amazing dentists like #4 existed from the start.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 1:16 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Cbd oil, magnesium and Benadryl before.

Benadryl? It can interfere with the numbing medicine.

JD03

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 1:33 pm
I would recommend switching to a more child-friendly dentist.
I've never been an easy dentist patient. Always afraid, though not struggling or hysterical. My pediatric dentist gave me laughing gas and it absolutely calmed me down and took my fear away.

I've been unable to find an adult dentist that gives laughing gas and I can tell you that a dentist appointment is the worst ever punishment for me. My anxiety is through the roof.
100% laughing gas calmed me and made me indifferent to the fear/pain as the dentist worked.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 2:21 pm
Thanks everyone.

For some reasons good dentists covered by my insurance are hard to find. There's another dentist people are switching to but they don't use laughing gas there and I think they end up coming back here when they need it.

This dentist happens to be great with kids, my daughters emotions and reactions are extreme (exploring possible adhd or other reasons...). BH he really calmed her down and he was able to do (some of) the work with just the laughing gas without numbing her. He just didn't want to have to go through this knowing she still needs a few more visits, for her sake. I would love to be able to bring her in calmer and keep her calm in the first place.

JD03

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 2:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone.

For some reasons good dentists covered by my insurance are hard to find. There's another dentist people are switching to but they don't use laughing gas there and I think they end up coming back here when they need it.

This dentist happens to be great with kids, my daughters emotions and reactions are extreme (exploring possible adhd or other reasons...). BH he really calmed her down and he was able to do (some of) the work with just the laughing gas without numbing her. He just didn't want to have to go through this knowing she still needs a few more visits, for her sake. I would love to be able to bring her in calmer and keep her calm in the first place.

B"H it worked out. Hatzlocha for the rest.
As a technical point, for me (and most ppl I think), laughing gas does not numb the pain--it simply makes me ignore it. The best combo is a numbing injection for the pain + laughing gas for anxiety.
Best of luck!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 2:29 pm
JD03 wrote:
B"H it worked out. Hatzlocha for the rest.
As a technical point, for me (and most ppl I think), laughing gas does not numb the pain--it simply makes me ignore it. The best combo is a numbing injection for the pain + laughing gas for anxiety.
Best of luck!!

Right, just that the numbing injection is the main cause of her anxiety

JD03

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right, just that the numbing injection is the main cause of her anxiety

It's similar for me.
I only accepted the injections after the laughing gas made me 'floaty' and the dentists also had a special paste that he dabbed onto the injection site to numb it slightly and ease the injection pain.

I'm relieved your dentist is patient with her. As an adult, I had a visceral response just reading your post. My heart goes out to your daughter. Whatever works for her.....hatzlocha rabbah.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:03 pm
JD03 wrote:
I would recommend switching to a more child-friendly dentist.
I've never been an easy dentist patient. Always afraid, though not struggling or hysterical. My pediatric dentist gave me laughing gas and it absolutely calmed me down and took my fear away.

I've been unable to find an adult dentist that gives laughing gas and I can tell you that a dentist appointment is the worst ever punishment for me. My anxiety is through the roof.
100% laughing gas calmed me and made me indifferent to the fear/pain as the dentist worked.

Have you called around? I’ve moved a few times as an adult and have always been able to find a dentist that is willing to give me gas for normal appointments. I just call the office and say “I have dental anxiety and need nitrous even for cleanings, is that something your office can accommodate?”. I’ve had one or two places say no but most are totally fine with it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:03 pm
JD03 wrote:
It's similar for me.
I only accepted the injections after the laughing gas made me 'floaty' and the dentists also had a special paste that he dabbed onto the injection site to numb it slightly and ease the injection pain.

I'm relieved your dentist is patient with her. As an adult, I had a visceral response just reading your post. My heart goes out to your daughter. Whatever works for her.....hatzlocha rabbah.

Thanks so much!

JD03

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:07 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Have you called around? I’ve moved a few times as an adult and have always been able to find a dentist that is willing to give me gas for normal appointments. I just call the office and say “I have dental anxiety and need nitrous even for cleanings, is that something your office can accommodate?”. I’ve had one or two places say no but most are totally fine with it.

Yes!!!!! Crying Crying Crying
I had to do some fillings a few years back and a root canal more recently.
It felt like I called every single dentist in New York who accepts my insurance. None of them offered laughing gas for adults.
If you feel comfortable, please send me a pm with any referrals of dentists in NY who offer this service for adults.

clowny

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:09 pm
I’ve had great experiences with laughing gas. It definitely calmed my kid down. In fact, she even fell asleep while dentist was working on her.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:14 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Benadryl? It can interfere with the numbing medicine.
good to know. Cbd and mag usually does the trick for us.

Laughing gas depletes glutathione and b12 and is extremely neurotoxic

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:27 pm
JD03 wrote:
Yes!!!!! Crying Crying Crying
I had to do some fillings a few years back and a root canal more recently.
It felt like I called every single dentist in New York who accepts my insurance. None of them offered laughing gas for adults.
If you feel comfortable, please send me a pm with any referrals of dentists in NY who offer this service for adults.

Wow, I can’t believe they wouldn’t use laughing gas even for actual work being done. That’s horrendous! I’m sorry I don’t know anyone in the tri-state area. Maybe start a separate post asking for recommendations? There are lots of New Yorkers here. Maybe it’s some state regulation thing and by crossing into NJ you’ll have better luck? Otherwise, I would tell your GP about your conundrum and maybe they’ll give you something you can take orally during dental work.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics