Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What are expectations in first grade

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:10 pm
What is expected of your first grader? In my daughter's class they don't have their knapsack with them during the day. They are expected to take out what they need for the day and put it in their desk. They are given papers and expected to put it in the right folders at the end of the day without any reminders. My daughter barely brings home any homework, she always forgets to take it out of her desk. Also if her bus is a drop late and she gets to school late she is rushing to her desk she doesn't take out all her stuff. The teachers don't remind the kids or make sure they have their things. In the morning the kids are supposed to put their done homework on their desk, she mostly doesn't because she either left it in school the day before or she left her finished homework in her knapsack before class. The teachers don't seem to even notice or care that she's never showing homework. I feel like it's the first year at desks doing real work and the teachers should be guiding them a little more. Am I unreasonable that I think these skills need to be taught and they need some guidance this year?

Optione

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:03 pm
I agree that the situation you presented above is unreasonable and those are teachable skills.

What does the teacher say when you voice your concern?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:05 pm
Optione wrote:
I agree that the situation you presented above is unreasonable and those are teachable skills.

What does the teacher say when you voice your concern?

They say everyone else manages and they are expected to just know these things

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:09 pm
I teach fifth grade and I can't even expect my students to manage like that. I have to go through every item they need to take home with them and bring back the next day otherwise I have students with empty backpacks and students with six binders in there. I really think this needs to be addressed with the teachers again, are the students actually managing or just no other parent is complaining?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:13 pm
Ask the teacher to be more flexible for her when she comes a little late and ensure that your daughter is settled in the beginning of the day. It's so important to start off the day properly.

Ask the teacher to write instructions on the board in addition to verbal.

Ask the teacher to make sure your daughter has the right work out for each class once everyone is settled.

It's not ok to just have these expectations and not follow through. It's the teacher's job to keep teaching routine until she gets it.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:23 pm
How do you know their are no reminders? In every classroom I have been in from 1st-3rd the teacher starts with regular reminders and then moves to informal prompts / reminders and has a big homework bin and the students are expected to notice when others start putting them in and not wait for a personal reminder. It is already half way through the year. If your daughter is so lost , I would request a meeting.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:25 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
How do you know their are no reminders? In every classroom I have been in from 1st-3rd the teacher starts with regular reminders and then moves to informal prompts / reminders and has a big homework bin and the students are expected to notice when others start putting them in and not wait for a personal reminder. It is already half way through the year. If your daughter is so lost , I would request a meeting.

According to my daughter and her teachers there are no reminders. She's doing very well in school other than not being on top of what goes in and out of her bag. She's not so lost.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics