Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO online children's Tehillim translation

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:20 pm
I'm looking for a kid-friendly translation of perek 19 from a reliable Jewish source.
There's an Artscroll children's Tehillim but I don't have access to it. TIA.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:22 pm
Why don't you dumb down the fancy language?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:23 pm
I'll try

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:25 pm
I was thinking of trying to distill it myself, but if there was something easily accessible, I'd love to see that too.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:25 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I'll try

Thanks!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:40 pm
Based on chabad.org And tehillim-online.com

Here's a start. Some parts I didn't work on.
Wow! I don't know what some if the pesukim mean. I skipped around

Lamenatzeiach, a song of Dovid's.
The heavens tell of the honor of Hashem, and the sky tells of the work of His hands.
Day to day utters speech, and night to night expresses knowledge.
There is no speech nor are there any words; their voice is not heard.
Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun,
The sun comes forth like a chosson leaving his chuppah, and rejoices like a strong man when he runs a race.
It goes forth from the end of the heaven, and his route goes to the ends of it; and there is nothing hidden from its heat.
The Torah of Hashem is perfect, and it revives the soul; the testimony of Hashem (the Torah) is trustworthy, and it makes the simple wise.
The orders of Hashem are correct and straight, and they make heart rejoice; the commandment its Hashem is pure, and it enlightens the eyes.
The fear of Hashem is pure, enduring forever; the judgments of the Hashem are true and totally just.
They should be more wanted than gold, even very fine gold; they are sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Your servant is also careful in keeping them, and in keeping of them there is great reward.
Who can discern his errors? Clean me from hidden faults.
Also from shining on purpose please hold back your servant, let them not rule over me; then shall I be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.
May the words of my mouth, and the thoughts of my heart, be acceptable before You, Hashem, my rock, and my redeemer.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:45 pm
Ok. Got my interlinear artscroll. Will copy and paste my radiation and edit while learning from my artscroll.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:56 pm
Based on chabad.org And tehillim-online.com

Here's a start. Some parts I didn't work on.
Wow! I don't know what some if the pesukim mean. I skipped around

The heavens tell of the honor of Hashem, and the sky tells of the work of His hands.
Day to day utters speech, and night to night expresses knowledge.
There is no speech nor are there any words; their voice is not heard.
Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun,
The sun comes forth like a chosson leaving his chuppah, and rejoices like a strong man when he runs a race.
It goes forth from the end of the heaven, and his route goes to the ends of it; and there is nothing hidden from its heat.
The Torah of Hashem is perfect, and it revives the soul; the testimony of Hashem (the Torah) is trustworthy, and it makes the simple wise.
The orders of Hashem are correct and straight, and they make heart rejoice; the commandment its Hashem is pure, and it enlightens the eyes.
The fear of Hashem is pure, enduring forever; the judgments of the Hashem are true and totally just.
They should be more wanted than gold, even very fine gold; they are sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Your servant is also careful in keeping them, and in keeping of them there is great reward.
Who can discern his errors? Clean me from hidden faults.
Also from shining on purpose please hold back your servant, let them not rule over me; then shall I be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.
May the words of my mouth, and the thoughts of my heart, be acceptable before You, Hashem, my rock, and my redeemer.

Thanks but this isn't really for children.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:02 pm
Ok, this is with some explanations from bottom of page, so it's not exact at all. More is added in for clarity. Kind of free-style. It's not perfect at all, but I think it's a starting point age you can work with it.

Day to day utters speech, and night to night expresses knowledge. (With day that passes, people gain more knowledge of Hashem's wisdom.)
Although the skies do not speak, nor are there any words, and their voice is not heard, yet the neshama of a person can feel their message.
Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun, (Not sure how to translate)
The sun comes forth like a chosson leaving his chuppah, and it rejoices like a strong man when he runs a race.
The sun goes forth from the end of the heaven, and his route goes to the ends of it; and there is nothing hidden from its heat.
The orders of Hashem are correct and straight, and they make heart joyful; the commandment of Hashem is pure, and it enlightens the eyes.
The fear of Hashem is pure, lasting forever; the judgments of the Hashem are true and totally just.
They should be more wanted than gold, even lots of very fine gold; they are sweeter also than honey and the drippings from a honeycomb.
Indeed, your servant is careful in keeping them, and there is great reward for keeping them.
Who can discern his errors? Clean me from hidden faults. (Not sure how to translate.)
Also please prevent your servant from sinning on purpose, do not let my yetzer hara rule over me. Then shall I be perfect, and cleaned of great aveiros.
May the words of my mouth, and the thoughts of my heart, find favor before You, Hashem, my rock, and my redeemer.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Thanks but this isn't really for children.

What age?
If its little kids, just tell them The gist in 3 sentences.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:07 pm
What age?
If its little kids, just tell them The gist in 3 sentences.

Revives the soul? Enlightens the eyes?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:26 pm
Thanks to everyone. This is giving me some direction.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:29 pm
(free translation)

A song from Dovid Hamelech:
The creations of the sky speak about Hashem's honor, and tell about the things Hashem made.
Each day brings people to speak about Hashem, and the stars of the night show an understanding of Hashem.
They cannot speak or say words, their voices can't be heard.
But they follow a line around the earth, and spread their message to all ends of the world; and Hashem put the sun in a special place among them.
Every morning, the sun comes out like a chosson comes out from his chuppah, it goes happily like a strong man running on his way.
It goes from one end of the earth to the other, and no place is hidden from its warmth.
The Torah, which also lights up the world, is perfect, it makes the neshama calm; Hashem's halachos are always good for us, they make a simple person smart.
The rules of Hashem are fair and make a person's heart happy; a mitzvah of Hashem is clear to understand and help us see how to act.
Yiras Shomayim makes us stay pure, and lasts forever. The rules of Hashem are true and all correct.
They are something we will want more than gold or a lot of fine gold, they are more sweet than honey or fresh honey that drips from honeycombs.
Hashem's servant (Dovid Hamelech), has been careful with them, and keeping the mitzvos brings a great reward.
I was careful, but who knows if I have made a mistake except for Hashem? Hashem, please clean any hidden aveiros from me.
Also help me not to do aveiros on purpose, don't let aveiros tell me what to do! Then I will be complete, and I will be clean from great aveiros.
May the words of my mouth, and the feelings of my heart, be what Hashem wants; Hashem is the "rock" I rely on and the One Who saves me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics