Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much do you spend a year?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:30 pm
We are a family of 4, it’s me, my husband and 2 babies. We live by a relative rent free and we don’t have Yeshiva tuition expenses yet so we spend around $40,000 a year including tzedakah. Is that normal?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:33 pm
Spend $40,000 on what? Everyone has different expenses. Do you mean shopping for clothes? For food? For household products? A car? Gas and tolls? Travel and vacation? You need to be more specific .

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:35 pm
If you can afford it, yes. If you can’t, you can’t. There is no normal.
*** Everyone’s Tzedaka is different, as it is based on what you make.

lk1234

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:35 pm
If you are not paying rent and tuition then yes that is high. Do you have a budget? What's the break down.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:38 pm
[quote="lk1234"]If you are not paying rent and tuition then yes that is high. Do you have a budget? What's the break down.[/quoted they are making 200k, and paying 20K tzedaka, have 2 in diapers, have no hand-me-downs, cook all of every YT and host, pay health insurance out of pocket, have high dry cleaning bills.....
So so may variables.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 3:50 pm
Spent on what? Clothes and shoes? Yes, very very high (it’s in the shopping section so I’m assuming this is what you meant)

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 4:52 pm
If you have a full time babysitter with you and DH working, then no. It sounds low actually.

If the 40,000 does not include any childcare then it seems a bit high for food, insurance, cars and other odds and ends.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:02 pm
Idk, but for comparison:
I spend probably 50-60k a year, WITH about 24k going to rent and tuition for 2 kids, and we live pretty modestly.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:02 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
If you have a full time babysitter with you and DH working, then no. It sounds low actually.

If the 40,000 does not include any childcare then it seems a bit high for food, insurance, cars and other odds and ends.

FYI, when my DH was self employed, we spent 27k/ year on health insurance, and that was 10 years ago. We couldn’t get dental as individuals. And it was not a good standard plan. It is very pricey. B”H my job now covers (let’s me buy in to) medical and dental insurance.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are a family of 4, it’s me, my husband and 2 babies. We live by a relative rent free and we don’t have Yeshiva tuition expenses yet so we spend around $40,000 a year including tzedakah. Is that normal?
sounds very high to me, but if it Works for you, great! (We spent way less when we had that size family)

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:12 pm
Where do you all live ?? I spend like 25k-30k a month. I know that’s a lot, but 40,000 a year?? That’s a lot ? I’m assuming she’s referring to all her expenses.

mizle10

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:14 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Where do you all live ?? I spend like 25k-30k a month. I know that’s a lot, but 40,000 a year?? That’s a lot ? I’m assuming she’s referring to all her expenses.

Most people are not spending $300k+ a year.
But I agree, it really all depends on location.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:16 pm

For 2 kids with no tuition and rent? What are you buying??

Just One

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:20 pm

Most people don't make $300k + a year

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:22 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
For 2 kids with no tuition and rent? What are you buying??

No. With three kids With tuition and a mortgage. Like I said, I know that is a lot. But in what world is spending $3,000 a month a lot.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
sounds very high to me, but if it Works for you, great! (We spent way less when we had that size family)

That’s not high at all got a family of 4. Where did you live and how long ago was this?

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:46 pm
No. With three kids With tuition and a mortgage. Like I said, I know that is a lot. But in what world is spending $3,000 a month a lot.

To me, it sounds like a lot for someone who isn't paying rent. It's not shockingly exorbitant, you-must-be-living-in-lavish-luxury spending, but it does seem more than average. In NYC, for example, the average household income is something like 70k. If someone is spending 3k before rent, that would be at least 5k with rent, $60k a year - that's more than the average family would take home after taxes. I know I spend much less than $3k in non-rent money, but I don't have kids. Though how much can a kid cost, $10? joke

The real question is if OP is able to save and be comfortable, or if she's drowning and looking to cut back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics