Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Language delay?
1  2  Next

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 1:20 pm
My son is 18 months.
All he says is
-mommy
-tatty
-yeah
-no in both English and Yiddish.

He mostly blurts out “tatty!” in a loud excited voice even when my husband is not at home throughout the day or just says “MOMMYTATTYMOMMYTATTYMOMMYTATTY!”
Other than that he’s discovering and saying different consonants and vowels: y, l, ee, k, etc

My husband speaks Yiddish to my son
I speak English
The main language at home though is English since my husband and I speak English amongst ourselves.

I have a friend with a kid who’s 2 days older than my son and he definitely knows more words than my son, but that’s probably because he only hears Yiddish.
Although I know I’m not supposed to compare my kid to other kids around his age it’s hard not to. 😥

Can hearing two languages affect how and when he will speak?

I’ve been teaching him basic words to things like door, spoon, fork, etc but he gets overwhelmed and runs off or starts screeching “NA!”

😥

Any mommies able to give me tips how to help my son speak or should I just let him take his time?

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 1:23 pm
Bilingual kids are known to speak later. And have gained a lifelong gift.

But it's worth it to confirm there are no other issues. How easy is it, where you live, to have him evaluated by an early intervention speech therapist?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 2:02 pm
I was told by a speech therapist to give up to an extra year for each additional language they need to learn. 18 months is still quite young.
Does he understand things? If you ask him simple questions like 'find your shoes' or 'where's nose?', does he understand? If he gets everything, I wouldn't worry. Don't overwhelm him by forcing him to speak.
You can also create situations where he's forced to communicate-like giving snack only one piece at a time to make him ask for more.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 2:06 pm
Hi. I'm an EI SLP.

Keep doing what you're doing but words like spoon, fork, door aren't what I would teach first. Your son needs to learn functional words like more, open, food, eat, water etc.

Talk through your daily activities with him. "Time to give you a bath! Wow the water is so nice and warm. Let's play in the bath..." etc. You're modeling language for him.

It doesn't hurt to get him evaluated for speech. And as the other poster said, oftentimes bilingual children develop language at a different pace.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 5:01 pm
I was told main thing for bilingual children is each person stick to their language which is what you are doing.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 6:45 pm
Hi!
Another EI SLP here.
What your describing is fairly common. However an18 month old should have more words then that....
Call Early intervention just to get eval. It cant hurt.
Also how is his understanding? That is even more important then speaking

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 7:06 pm
Like the previous poster said, no reason not to get an evaluation from Early Intervention. Completely free and so is the therapy if he's eligible.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 5:49 pm
Early childhood SLP here. Here are a couple links with information about early language milestones in bilingual children:
http://www.hanen.org/Helpful-I.....ge%20(5).

https://bilingualkidspot.com/2.....dren/

Like others have said, one of the best things you can do is keep talking to your child. Talk through your daily routines, follow his lead and label/talk about what he's interested in the moment. You can either call your local early intervention program first or ask for a referral from your pediatrician.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:20 pm
My daughter is 19 months old and not saying any real words yet. I'm not sure she even understands what I'm saying besides when I say "No." I'm giving it another few months before I worry though. I talk to her and read to her.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:24 pm
Thank you everyone. I’ll bring it up at the doctors next time I go. He understands basic stuff like “come here to mommy” “let’s eat” “we’re going to take a bath!” “Let’s change your diaper” “time to sleep, goodnight!”

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:27 pm
I had my child evaluated at this age and he wasnt approved for speech bcz they found 10 words he says and that he imitates a lot

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:20 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
My daughter is 19 months old and not saying any real words yet. I'm not sure she even understands what I'm saying besides when I say "No." I'm giving it another few months before I worry though. I talk to her and read to her.

Are you in the U.S.? Can you get a free evaluation from early intervention? You can call today and figure that out if so. I am not an expert but at 19 months I think they should be understanding more than just "no". Though it could be your daughter understands a ton more and with an evaluation they may be able to help give you tips to know what to look out for to see if she does.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:07 pm
imasinger wrote:
Bilingual kids are known to speak later. And have gained a lifelong gift.

But it's worth it to confirm there are no other issues. How easy is it, where you live, to have him evaluated by an early intervention speech therapist?

I also heard bilingual kids have a higher iq

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:49 pm
SLP here, does your child imitate words? or try to approximate words?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:03 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Thank you everyone. I’ll bring it up at the doctors next time I go. He understands basic stuff like “come here to mommy” “let’s eat” “we’re going to take a bath!” “Let’s change your diaper” “time to sleep, goodnight!”

A doctor is not trained in language milestones, norms, and speech concerns like we SLPs are. EI evaluation would be my first step.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:36 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
A doctor is not trained in language milestones, norms, and speech concerns like we SLPs are. EI evaluation would be my first step.

They should be! because my doctor didnt catch on that she wasnt planting her feet, I didnt get her evaluated for physical until very late (over a year)

honey36

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:42 pm
Another thing no one mentioned yet that's worth looking into- get his hearing checked. He may have fluid in his ears or something. Even if he can hear and understand you, it could be he is missing some sounds b/c of hearing loss. This is often case with language delayed toddlers and can sometimes be missed.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 2:00 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
They should be! because my doctor didnt catch on that she wasnt planting her feet, I didnt get her evaluated for physical until very late (over a year)

Doctors know basic motor milestones but they are not the experts, that’s what PTs are for, same with speech and OT.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

SLPs go through rigorous training to become experts in their field. Bachelors, masters and then a one year residency. Can't expect doctors to do that as well as what they study...

Parents should always trust their gut when concerned and get evaluated by the right person and field.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:19 pm
Update ever since I wrote this post my son learnt some new words. He mostly copies me though.

- Hi!
- Here
- are you

I pretended to have a short fake conversation with myself (with him listening and watching me) and speak REALLY enthusiastically and in between lines.

“Hi!”
Son: hi!

“How are you?”
Son: Are yeh, you!

“I’m good, and you? Oh, you’re fine! Okay, bye!”
S: bah

When we speak to him or when I read to him he expressed his thoughts. But it’s baby talk! Like a conversation. He can copy the tone of a question and the tone of a statement. (You know how the last word in a question is said in a higher pitch haha)

I guess it comes in time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics