Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What to give anorexic friend in hospital??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:41 pm
I need ideas please. I'm trying to give an anorexic friend age 20 something for Purim. She's in the psychiatric unit in the hospital. Any ideas is appreciated!

Pamela

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:46 pm
How about a nice book, a therarobe (check it out on Instagram), some nice smelly lotions, warm fuzzy slippers?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:47 pm
Find out what they allow

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:50 pm
Books,magazines, a puzzle, something that will keep her mind busy.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:53 pm
As someone who has been there at that age it's really difficult and painful what about a diary and a pen, a nice tehlim, an inspirational nice decorative sign, a gift card for a mani pedi, some new makeup? anything you can think of to bring up her morale. People that are anorexic are trying to control their lives and they can't so this is the only way they can it's scary. I hope she gets better like I did. Refuah Shelemah.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:58 pm
A craft kit? It can get boring in the hospital.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:34 pm
I also included fake long nails and eyelashes for purim!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Find out what they allow

I couldn't find out what we can't send because her family doesn't know that I know about the situation and I couldn't reach her in the hospital.

Any idea what's restricted?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:41 pm
Thanks so much for all suggestions! So helpful.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 7:44 pm
Anything that can possibly be used to hurt herself would be restricted. So anything sharp, anything with a rope or string, etc. Books are generally allowed, as our robes and clothes if they don't have strings on them.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:15 pm
Some ideas we've sent (or considered sending) to someone in similar situation

A paint by number
Music
Blanket
Hot water bottle
Socks/PJ's
Cardigen
Puzzle
Hand cream /nail polish

trixx

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:30 pm
Cozy blanket

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need ideas please. I'm trying to give an anorexic friend age 20 something for Purim. She's in the psychiatric unit in the hospital. Any ideas is appreciated!

I was in the hospital as a single girl for Anorexia. It makes a difference if she's in an eating disorder unit or in a regular psych unit what your can send her. Can you clarify?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:38 pm
trixx wrote:
Cozy blanket

I agree a cozy blanket would be great if allowed. I wasn't in a hospital but I was in an inpatient program and I would have really appreciated a blanket.

Other items would have been a journal, puzzles, or crossword puzzle books. I like the fuzzy socks & paint by numbers suggestion made by someone else.

Btw even if you can't get through to your friend you can always call the hospital and see what is allowed/not allowed.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I couldn't find out what we can't send because her family doesn't know that I know about the situation and I couldn't reach her in the hospital.

Any idea what's restricted?

Food is restricted. I sent games good for 1 player. And a love/care/hope fuzzy blanket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....image

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:04 am
Thanks for all suggestions! So helpful.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:07 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I was in the hospital as a single girl for Anorexia. It makes a difference if she's in an eating disorder unit or in a regular psych unit what your can send her. Can you clarify?

I'm not sure which unit she is in. I'll try to find out today. I wonder what is the difference? The need for different gifts? Or restrictions are different?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not sure which unit she is in. I'll try to find out today. I wonder what is the difference? The need for different gifts? Or restrictions are different?

Restrictions and the "type" are different. When I was there, someone sent us a few costumes and all the patients and some of the staff got dressed up. We really appreciated that. A gragger and megillah are a great idea too. And send "mishloach manos" without actual food in it. A nice Purim music CD and/or a speaker (Bluetooth with no cords) will also make a nice Purim spirit.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:59 am
I think plastic bags are also not allowed in a psych ward, so make sure to avoid that.

ImmaBubby

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:01 pm
Personalized journal with a nice message from you.
I think journaling is an activity that’s encouraged in these programs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics