Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Covid vaccine - Are people aware? pregnancy and nursing
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 12:52 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
The only place I have ever seen the claim that the new variant affects pregnant women worse, is imamother and other frum websites. I would love to see a real source for this.

The new strains are thought to be more contagious, but not more virulent. In general, viruses mutate to become less deadly because that is evolution and how viruses ensure their own survival.

A virus mutating so as to become MORE deadly would be an unexpected aberration.

I'm in Israel and know up close of 3 pregnant women who are on ventilators. Actually they are no longer pregnant because they had emergency c sections all under 34 weeks.
That's besides multiple similar stories that my friends know personally.

Edited to add, this is something we never saw in the first and second wave here. It literally became an issue only in the middle of our third wave, about 5 weeks ago. Due to the UK variant.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 6:49 am
I think it's pretty disturbing that there are women out there giving advice online to pregnant women saying not to get the vaccine when their own doctors have said to take it. I for one will be following the guidance of the gedolim and my OBGYN thank you very much.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:04 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
How on earth are you taking medical advice from doctors who 1) are unaware of safety studies, bc they don't exist 2) are not liable if anything happens 3) aren't even your own doctor.. Are your friends doctors??

As I keep saying. It's not 9 months old yet. It hasn't gone thru one entire pregnancy and delivery. No one on earth can promise you there is no side effect or damage. (conversely, there are multiple reports of miscarriage and stillborn, first hand on social media which is the only place you'll see them)

Please don't take the second shot.

Wait so she shouldnt listen to her own OB and all OBs in her area because.... they’re “unaware” of “studies” but she should listen to you... anonymous on imamother.... to not get a second part of a two part vaccine?

What are you smoking?!

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:49 am
How on earth are you taking medical advice from doctors who 1) are unaware of safety studies, bc they don't exist 2) are not liable if anything happens 3) aren't even your own doctor.. Are your friends doctors??

As I keep saying. It's not 9 months old yet. It hasn't gone thru one entire pregnancy and delivery. No one on earth can promise you there is no side effect or damage. (conversely, there are multiple reports of miscarriage and stillborn, first hand on social media which is the only place you'll see them)

Hooold on, hold on just one minute.

What you're saying is, that pregnant women (or anyone for that matter) shouldn't get the vaccine even though not only her doctor but also multiple of her friends doctors AND many Rabbonim, including R' Chaim Kanievsky all urge to get the vaccine, but she should instead listen to anonymous strangers on the internet???

Sorry for the super long, super awkward sentence.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:52 am
Regulation 174 Information for UK healthcare professionals

This medicinal product has been given authorisation for temporary supply by the UK Department of Health and Social Care and the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. It does not have a marketing authorisation, but this temporary authorisation grants permission for the medicine to be used for active immunisation of individuals aged 18 years and older for the prevention of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

As with any new medicine in the UK, this product will be closely monitored to allow quick identification of new safety information. Healthcare professionals are asked to report any suspected adverse reactions. See section 4.8 for how to report adverse reactions.

1. Name of the medicinal product
COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, solution for injection in multidose container

COVID-19 Vaccine (ChAdOx1 S [recombinant])

4.6 Fertility, pregnancy and lactationPregnancy

There is a limited experience with the use of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in pregnant women.

Preliminary animal studies do not indicate direct or indirect harmful effects with respect to pregnancy, embryofetal development, parturition or post natal development; definitive animal studies have not been completed yet. The full relevance of animal studies to human risk with vaccines for COVID-19 remains to be established.

Administration of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in pregnancy should only be considered when the potential benefits outweigh any potential risks for the mother and fetus.

Breastfeeding
It is unknown whether COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is excreted in human milk.

Fertility
Preliminary animal studies do not indicate direct or indirect harmful effects with respect to fertility.

https://www.gov.uk/government/.....onals

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:55 am
Regulation 174 Information for UK healthcare professionals

This medicinal product has been given authorisation for temporary supply by the UK Department of Health and Social Care and the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. It does not have a marketing authorisation, but this temporary authorisation grants permission for the medicine to be used for active immunization to prevent COVID-19 disease caused by SARS-CoV-2 virus in individuals aged 16 years of age and over.

As with any new medicine in the UK, this product will be closely monitored to allow quick identification of new safety information. Healthcare professionals are asked to report any suspected adverse reactions. See section 4.8 for how to report adverse reactions.

1. Name of the medicinal product
COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2 concentrate for solution for injection

4.6 Fertility, pregnancy and lactationPregnancy

There is limited experience with use of the COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2in pregnant women. Animal studies do not indicate direct or indirect harmful effects with respect to pregnancy, embryo/foetal development, parturition or post-natal development (see section 5.3). Administration of the COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2 in pregnancy should only be considered when the potential benefits outweigh any potential risks for the mother and foetus.

Breast-feeding
It is unknown whether the COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2 is excreted in human milk.

Fertility
Animal studies do not indicate direct or indirect harmful effects with respect to reproductive toxicity (see section 5.3).

5.3 Preclinical safety data
Non-clinical data reveal no special hazard for humans based on a conventional study of repeat dose toxicity.

Reproductive toxicity

Reproductive and developmental toxicity were investigated in rats in a combined fertility and developmental toxicity study where female rats were intramuscularly administered with the COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2 prior to mating and during gestation (receiving 4 full human doses that generate relatively higher levels in rat due to body weight differences, spanning between pre-mating day 21 and gestational day 20). SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibody responses were present in maternal animals from prior to mating to the end of the study on postnatal day 21 as well as in foetuses and offspring. There were no vaccine-related effects on female fertility, pregnancy, or embryo-foetal or offspring development. No data on the COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2 are available on vaccine placental transfer or excretion in milk.

https://www.gov.uk/government/.....ccine

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:17 am
Vaccination Considerations for People who are Pregnant or Breastfeeding

Updated Feb. 12, 2021

COVID-19 Vaccination Considerations for People Who Are Pregnant

CDC and the independent Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) have provided information to assist pregnant people with their decision to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. At this time, ACIP recommends that certain groups (e.g., healthcare personnel, followed by other frontline essential workers) are offered vaccination during the first months of the COVID-19 vaccination program. People who are pregnant and part of a group recommended to receive the COVID-19 vaccine may choose to be vaccinated. If they have questions about getting vaccinated, a discussion with a healthcare provider might help them make an informed decision.

Pregnant people are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19

Observational data demonstrate that, while the chances for these severe health effects are low, pregnant people with COVID-19 have an increased risk of severe illness, including illness that results in ICU admission, mechanical ventilation, and death compared with non-pregnant women of reproductive age. Additionally, pregnant people with COVID-19 might be at increased risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes, such as preterm birth, compared with pregnant women without COVID-19.

There are limited data about the safety of COVID-19 vaccines for people who are pregnant
Until findings are available from clinical trials and additional studies, only limited data are available on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines, including mRNA vaccines, administered during pregnancy:

Limited data are currently available from animal developmental and reproductive toxicity studies. No safety concerns were demonstrated in rats that received Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before or during pregnancy; studies of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine are ongoing.
Researchers have studies planned in people who are pregnant.

Both vaccine manufacturers are monitoring people in the clinical trials who became pregnant.
CDC and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have safety monitoring systems in place to capture information about vaccination during pregnancy and will closely monitor reports.

mRNA vaccines do not contain the live virus that causes COVID-19 and, therefore, cannot give someone COVID-19. Additionally, mRNA vaccines do not interact with a person’s DNA because the mRNA does not enter the nucleus of the cell. Cells break down the mRNA quickly. Based on how mRNA vaccines work, experts believe they are unlikely to pose a specific risk for people who are pregnant. However, the actual risks of mRNA vaccines to the pregnant person and her fetus are unknown because these vaccines have not been studied in pregnant women.

Because supplies are currently limited, CDC recommends certain groups receive the first supply of COVID-19 vaccines
At this time, certain groups are recommended to be among the first to receive the vaccine because they are at increased risk of exposure to the virus that causes COVID-19 and severe COVID-19 illness.

Learn more about how CDC is making COVID-19 vaccination recommendations, including recommendations while there is a limited supply of vaccines.

Getting vaccinated is a personal choice for people who are pregnant

People who are pregnant and part of a group recommended to receive COVID-19 vaccine, such as healthcare personnel, may choose to be vaccinated. A conversation between pregnant patients and their clinicians may help them decide whether to get vaccinated with a vaccine that has been authorized for use under Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). While a conversation with a healthcare provider may be helpful, it is not required prior to vaccination.

Key considerations pregnant patients can discuss with their healthcare provider include:

The likelihood of exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19
Risks of COVID-19 to them and potential risks to their fetuses
What is known about the vaccine: how well it works to develop protection in the body, known side effects of the vaccine, and lack of data during pregnancy
Pregnant patients who decide to get vaccinated should continue to follow the current guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19 after they are vaccinated. That means:

Wearing a mask
Staying at least six feet away from others
Avoiding crowds
Washing hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or using hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
Following CDC travel guidance
Following quarantine guidance after exposure to COVID-19
Following any applicable workplace guidance
Vaccine side effects
Side effects can occur after receiving either of the two available COVID-19 vaccines, especially after the second dose. These side effects are not expected to be any different for pregnant people than for non-pregnant people. Pregnant people who experience fever following vaccination may be counseled to take acetaminophen because fever has been associated with adverse pregnancy outcomes. Acetaminophen may be offered as an option for pregnant women experiencing other post-vaccination symptoms as well.

Some people have experienced allergic reactions after receipt of the vaccine. CDC recommends that all vaccine recipients, including pregnant people, should talk with their healthcare provider if they have a history of severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to any other vaccine or injectable therapy (e.g., intramuscular, intravenous, or subcutaneous). Key considerations to inform these discussions include the unknown risks of developing a severe allergic reaction and the benefits of vaccination.

Routine testing and pregnancy

Routine testing for pregnancy before COVID-19 vaccination is not recommended. Women who are trying to become pregnant do not need to avoid pregnancy after receiving an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.

COVID-19 vaccination considerations for people who are breastfeeding

There are neither data on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in lactating women nor on the effects of mRNA vaccines on the breastfed infant or on milk production/excretion. mRNA vaccines are not thought to be a risk to the breastfeeding infant. People who are breastfeeding and are part of a group recommended to receive a COVID-19 vaccine, such as healthcare personnel, may choose to be vaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
UK is dispensing Astra Zeneca not the Pfizer or Moderna that is In the US

Both AstraZeneca and Pfizer are being given in the Uk. And the advice for pregnant women in the Uk is the same for both vaccines.

ggdm

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:11 am
Testing vaccines or medicine on pregnant women is an ethical problem. So don't hold your breath for studies.

Still we have data: Women have become pregnant getting the vaccine, women did not know they were pregnant when getting the vaccine, pregnant women opted to get the vaccine. And it seems to be ok.

We know Covid and pregnancy is not a good combination.

Everybody should make their own risk assessment:
How at risk are you for getting Covid?
How far along are you in the pregnancy?
How do you react to vaccination in general, allergies and general medical status?
How eligible are you for vaccination and how likely is it that you get a date?
An ICU nurse has a different assessment than someone where the whole family works at home.

May we all be healthy!

evaeva

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:25 am
DAAS TORAH! DAAS TORAH! DAAS TORAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
Black

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Both AstraZeneca and Pfizer are being given in the Uk. And the advice for pregnant women in the Uk is the same for both vaccines.

Yes my dh has had the Pfizer one. He has his 2nd one in about 10 weeks lol. I'm pregnant and was told that I definitely can't have it before 12 weeks, and if I want it after that then I can but I don't think it'll be recommended to me.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:37 am

Why are these people not reporting to VEARS or Yellow card to inform them??? If they were it would be information available to all. If people were being totally honest they would do all they can to inform the relevant authorities who need to know this information. So no, I don’t believe that these reports to be true.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:38 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Absolutely true.

It also doesn't mean it is safe and to assume so, in the absence of testing, is rather foolish.

Covid itself is not safe for pregnant or nursing women.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:42 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I think it's pretty disturbing that there are women out there giving advice online to pregnant women saying not to get the vaccine when their own doctors have said to take it. I for one will be following the guidance of the gedolim and my OBGYN thank you very much.

Thank you!!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 7:40 am
I got an email from tahareinu that after extensive research they recommend getting either Pfizer or Moderna during any stage of pregnancy or fertility treatments.
I'm sure you can find it on tahareinu website.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:33 am
Pregnant 32-year-old woman and her fetus die of COVID at Jerusalem hospital

Expert says case ‘raises a red flag’ regarding dangers of coronavirus to pregnant women, especially the now-dominant British variant; 30-week pregnant woman had not been vaccinated

A 32-year-old woman died of COVID-19 and doctors were unable to save her 30-week fetus in an emergency C-section, a Jerusalem hospital announced Sunday.

The woman, Osnat Ben Shitrit, was healthy until she recently contracted the coronavirus, and previously had four smooth pregnancies that ended in straightforward births, a spokeswoman for Hadassah Medical Center told The Times of Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....ital/

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:36 am
I also just read about the pregnant woman who died. A perfectly healthy 32 year old mother of four.

What a tragedy.

Go get vaccinated.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:39 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Pregnant 32-year-old woman and her fetus die of COVID at Jerusalem hospital

Expert says case ‘raises a red flag’ regarding dangers of coronavirus to pregnant women, especially the now-dominant British variant; 30-week pregnant woman had not been vaccinated

A 32-year-old woman died of COVID-19 and doctors were unable to save her 30-week fetus in an emergency C-section, a Jerusalem hospital announced Sunday.

The woman, Osnat Ben Shitrit, was healthy until she recently contracted the coronavirus, and previously had four smooth pregnancies that ended in straightforward births, a spokeswoman for Hadassah Medical Center told The Times of Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....ital/

I just read that her brother in law is antivaxx and feels terrible. He's still not 100% convinced but is slowly changing to ppl needing to weigh their options.

She was completely healthy, no previous illnesses. Nothing
Crying Crying Crying

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:02 pm
[False, insensitive post removed. ~mod]

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:05 pm
evaeva wrote:
DAAS TORAH! DAAS TORAH! DAAS TORAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plenty of daas Torah is against the vaccine. Including a psak I read that halachically, since there is a risk that the vaccine can cause harm, one may not intentionally take on that risk by getting the vaccine. Eta psak was from R' Vosner
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics