Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you have a child with diagnosed add & learning disabiliti

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:14 pm
Bh there is no h and it’s just add not adhd.

School is so hard for her and it’s only getting harder. My goal really is just to keep her happy cuz that’s most important and will prevent destructive behavior later on but a kid gotta see success to be happy.

My dd is in first grade and this year is incomparably harder than last yr. Bh she is socially happy though. Do you have any tips or advice from dealing with your child that officially has both diagnoses?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:26 pm
Yes, I have tips. First, make sure she learns to read!!! If that's difficult for her, it will make all future learning difficult. If you need to, do alot of review/teaching at home with her, or get outside help, like speech therapy often has reading intervention. Read alot of books to her, like a chapter from a Beverly Cleary book every night in her bed, so she will hear the rythm and flow of books, it will help her alot . Do your best not to let her fall behind in reading.

Next, address executive functioning. Make signs with numbered pictures she can refer to so she can self direct in everyday habits (morning routines, after school routines, bedtime routine). For example:. Put away backpack and coat, wash hands, get snack, clean up snack, for after school routine chart
Make sure she has helpful charts taped to he desk at school. Make tons of meetings and guide her teacher on how to be patient and coach her at school.

Make sure she has some talent you can put a lot into if school is hard, like art or gymnastics. Build her up and find everything you can that is awesome about her. Make a rule to find 10 things to compliment about her every day. Hug her, love her, smile at her, she will need extra love at home. Again, reach out to her teacher and coach them on how to give her extra emotional support.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:27 pm
Have you considered/ tried medication to get rid of some of the barrier?
Does your school offer resource room/small group support? Is there another school in the neighborhood that does?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:08 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Yes, I have tips. First, make sure she learns to read!!! If that's difficult for her, it will make all future learning difficult. If you need to, do alot of review/teaching at home with her, or get outside help, like speech therapy often has reading intervention. Read alot of books to her, like a chapter from a Beverly Cleary book every night in her bed, so she will hear the rythm and flow of books, it will help her alot . Do your best not to let her fall behind in reading.

Next, address executive functioning. Make signs with numbered pictures she can refer to so she can self direct in everyday habits (morning routines, after school routines, bedtime routine). For example:. Put away backpack and coat, wash hands, get snack, clean up snack, for after school routine chart
Make sure she has helpful charts taped to he desk at school. Make tons of meetings and guide her teacher on how to be patient and coach her at school.

Make sure she has some talent you can put a lot into if school is hard, like art or gymnastics. Build her up and find everything you can that is awesome about her. Make a rule to find 10 things to compliment about her every day. Hug her, love her, smile at her, she will need extra love at home. Again, reach out to her teacher and coach them on how to give her extra emotional support.

Ty! I am really searching for that extra talent that she has. She gets OT and has some motor planning difficulties so she didn’t like gymnastics. She doesn’t even want to try art. She happens to love to act and is very dramatic so I am really hoping that she will shine on the stage at school but there are no acting workshops for such young kids here. This is kinda vain but she happens to a be beautiful child. Since she was born I’ve got compliments about her beauty. I’m really happy she has that going for her.

I am working hard on reading and like you guessed it’s a struggle. It’s a hard balance to have her practice yet not nudge too much and overdue it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:14 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Have you considered/ tried medication to get rid of some of the barrier?
Does your school offer resource room/small group support? Is there another school in the neighborhood that does?

We are about to start the medication route. I finally got her an iep to get approved for services in November. Of course therapists were out and my daughter missed school cuz of quarantine. There is another school that officially has a better resource department than where I am but my kid jsut started services and and she’s happy socially so I am not running to change.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics