Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Question on Shabbos table setting
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 5:40 pm
I also make my own bracha hamotzei. I’m Chabad.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:15 am
And I just want a link to dip bowls please Very Happy
My china is cream, so I would prefer something glass so it doesn't clash.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

https://www.williams-sonoma.co.....bowls

https://www.williams-sonoma.co.....bowls

I have my MIL (a"h) china, and it came with small shallow bowls that I assume are dipping bowls. We use them for cholent when its not the whole meal, as we don't like it oozing into the chicken.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 12:03 pm
Thanks.
But I assume, orange was talking about individual dip bowls, individual per person, not for the table.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Thanks.
But I assume, orange was talking about individual dip bowls, individual per person, not for the table.

Yes. We get them at amazing savings, they have afew types and shapes. I think they're like 3oz or so. Perfect for individual dip servings.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

I use these in middle of table for dips. I like they have covers so can put in fridge.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lib.....D_BwE

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 12:22 pm
sky wrote:
I use these in middle of table for dips. I like they have covers so can put in fridge.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lib.....D_BwE

Wow, thanks for the link. This is a great item to have!

Miri1

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 1:33 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
We all make hamotzi before eating challah. You don't make a brachah before eating challah? I thought everyone does that. DH has everyone in mind for lechem mishnah and everyone makes a brachah before they eat their challa. Just like we each make hagafen before drinking kiddush. I've never seen anything else.

No, we don't make our own Hamotzi.
My husband is motzi all or us, so we wouldn't make a bracha.

I'm curious how it works for you with other brachos...
Do you make your own bracha on the kiddush wine?
Also at havdalah, would you make your own bracha on the bisamim?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 1:40 pm
Miri1 wrote:
No, we don't make our own Hamotzi.
My husband is motzi all or us, so we wouldn't make a bracha.

I'm curious how it works for you with other brachos...
Do you make your own bracha on the kiddush wine?
Also at havdalah, would you make your own bracha on the bisamim?

Yes, everyone makes a bracha on kiddush and bisamim. I've never seen any other way.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:17 pm
Yes. We get them at amazing savings, they have afew types and shapes. I think they're like 3oz or so. Perfect for individual dip servings.

Real or disposable ones?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:20 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Real or disposable ones?

Disposable

Miri1

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:38 pm
Yes, everyone makes a bracha on kiddush and bisamim. I've never seen any other way.

This is very interesting.
Since my husband and all those in attendance have in mind that he is motzi us, we specifically do not say a bracha.

seafood

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:29 pm
Sprinkles1 wrote:
Regarding having food on the table during kiddush:

I think that the issue is only with Hamotzi and Mezonos foods, because the order in which we are supposed to eat the brachos is Hamotzi, mezonos, hagafen, haetz, hoadama, shehakol. So if while making kiddush (hagafen) there is hamotzi or mezonos on the table, they should be covered so as not to 'shame' them.

I don’t think that’s the reason, we put no food on the table before hamotzi, not just mezonos or hamotzi foods

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:07 am
So I talked with DH about only the head of the household making hagafen and hamotzi, and he said that if only the head of the household makes hamotzi, than only he says birchas hamazon as well and has everyone in mind.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:47 am
Elfrida wrote:
I really don't like it when someone else decides on the type and quantity of food I am allowed to eat.

One can make a serving platter look pretty and still allow people their own choice. The only thing I serve plated is soup.

I didn't read all 6 pages, but I agree with this.

I don't eat very much, and when someone gives me a large pre-plated 1st course, I have to either not finish it (waste food) or not eat the main course (which I sometimes actually want to eat). And if the main course is plated, I wind up wasting most of that.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:54 am
So I talked with DH about only the head of the household making hagafen and hamotzi, and he said that if only the head of the household makes hamotzi, than only he says birchas hamazon as well and has everyone in mind.

Never heard of such a thing in my entire life!!!!

May. I ask which chasidus you belong to?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:59 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Never heard of such a thing in my entire life!!!!

May. I ask which chasidus you belong to?

We don't do this. This is a reply to the posters that said that only their husbands make hagafen and hamotzi, no one makes their own bracha. If they do so, then only their husbands should say birchas hamazon and be them all motzei.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:25 am
We don't do this. This is a reply to the posters that said that only their husbands make hagafen and hamotzi, no one makes their own bracha. If they do so, then only their husbands should say birchas hamazon and be them all motzei.

This is definitely a chassidish vs litvish thing.

My dh grew up litvish and didn't make his own brachos, I grew up chassidish and always made hagefen, hamotzi, besamim... When we got married, my dh prefered that I stop, but I was so used to it, I just couldn't take something into my mouth without making a bracha! So I never changed, but he taught my kids not to.

(He once explained to me the whole halachic reasoning of my some do, some dont. I have to ask him about birchas hamazon, why thats different.)

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:49 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
U don’t make kiddush before washing ? With everyone at their place ? People touch their plates. It’s just weird to collect them after that . Either pre plate or serve on a platter.

yekkes wash before making kiddush.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note