Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you save clothes for your dds?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:36 pm
I’m cleaning my closet and I have a lot of beautiful clothes size XS that don’t fit anymore since having kids. Should I donate or save 10-15 years for my dds

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:44 pm
If you have something gorgeous and classic, it might be worth saving. But styles change pretty fast, and in 10-15 years it may look terribly dated.

Chances are you would get more mileage out of them by donating or handing down to a girl you know who can use and enjoy them now.

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:57 pm
Your dd will throw it back into your face

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:01 pm
I asked my shidduch age son, if I should save my current baby born this years clothes? He said he wont take my shmattes for his kids. Talking here about current stuff which he might use in yr or 2. I figured so, but thought maybe when I am a bubby, I will need extras for gkids when they come to me, he also refuses to hear about it. I think I will just find someone who will enjoy it now.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:25 pm
Based on some of the above replies, you might also want to think about whether or not your DDs are going to be used to hand-me-downs or not. My kids would totally appreciate good quality hand-me-downs (if they don't look old-fashioned), and would get a kick out of wearing stuff I wore. But a lot of people apparently would be insulted at not getting new clothing.

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:53 pm
I say get rid of it. The odds of them actually wanted to wear the clothes that you wore are very slim most of the time. Not saying there's not an exception to the rule but not worth taking up closet space when someone else could use it and enjoy it in the meantime

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I asked my shidduch age son, if I should save my current baby born this years clothes? He said he wont take my shmattes for his kids. Talking here about current stuff which he might use in yr or 2. I figured so, but thought maybe when I am a bubby, I will need extras for gkids when they come to me, he also refuses to hear about it. I think I will just find someone who will enjoy it now.

What he thinks now and what happens when the grandchild actually exists and has just thrown up over their third outfit of the day may be two very different things! Hang on to a whatever's in good condition. You'll end up using it. Just don't tell him!

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:33 am
No.
We donate or give it to someone who make use of it now rather than save for that many years. Too much can happen in the interim and even weather and locale play a part and would not want it to go unused and then donate when out of style etc.
and styles change as do people's preferences, body types, etc.
Would want someone to be able to use and appreciate it now.

salt

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 1:13 am
I have teenage DDs. They rarely take my 'hand-me-downs' now (good condition clothes that don't really fit me anymore) - so in 15 years time - I wouldn't keep them.
But I do keep my favorite kids' clothes that are in excellent condition for any future grandchildren... but my kids laugh at me that I do that!

elaela

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 1:20 am
if its classic and great conidtion: why not?
my kids even wore MY 35 year old baby clothes (stunning classic pieces in almost new condtion). saved me money and they didnt care.

teenagers: it has to be very basic/classic (like a simple black skirt/dress...)
last shabbos in shul a lady was complimented for her great taste. her reply was:

"well the hat was my grandmothers, the skirt is my aunts, the top is thrifted and believe it or not the coat is 40 years old, used to be my mothers. "
she really looked AMAZING and NOT old fashoned at all.
but she knows how to put pieces together. I would look like a clown if I tried. all her clothes was high end quality diesgner brands (stuff I dont posses Smile )

so I guess it really depends.
maybe ask your dd.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 3:44 am
I give dd my shells that don't fit me. She appreciates a good velvet top from me. But in general the clothes are just not her even if I think they are.

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 3:58 am
No. My girls who are grown or teens wouldn't want . And that's an understatement.

Even baby clothes, I wouldn't save that long.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:18 am
I actually just on Sunday borrowed something out of my mom's closet for a wedding. A few years ago I wouldn't have wanted to. Now I don't even mind if we match.

Def ask your dds if they want to call dibs on anything. Then maybe with them decide what to do with the rest

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:18 am
If we're talking a high-end designer piece that originally retailed in the mid to high 4 digit range, and you don't need the money from selling it, your kids may want it.

But the chances of them wanting 15 to 20 year old mass market goods are somewhere between zero and none.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:21 am
singleagain wrote:
I actually just on Sunday borrowed something out of my mom's closet for a wedding. A few years ago I wouldn't have wanted to. Now I don't even mind if we match.

Def ask your dds if they want to call dibs on anything. Then maybe with them decide what to do with the rest

AIUI her kids are babies, and she's thinking of putting things away for 15 years or so to see if they want it then.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:42 am
I am terrible at purging my closet (but things still fit). On of my DDs (19) loves going shopping in it. She took my pea coat which is a vivid color I bought at Loehmann’s (so you can figure out how old it is (maybe 15 years?). And her favorite outfit is a skirt (but she doesn’t wear the top) from 2006.
She is also currently obsessed with the dress I wore to my sister’s wedding (before she was born which I have worn 2x since) and is hoping to wear the gown to a friend’s weddings-just waiting for them to get married.
She is into fashion, like someone above stated. She and her friends love “thrifting” and she is good at identifying an old piece that are quality and interesting and which fit her well and mixing them with something current. She get compliments all the time. My DD under her would rather wear the same thing as everyone else.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:32 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

This. Do save a few good pieces for this situation. Things do happen and having extra clothes on hand can be very helpful when in need. Your son doesn’t have to know about it.

My mom has an emergency stash. It’s not stuff I’d ever put on my child but if we are there for shabbos and my son has an accident and I did not bring extra clothes it’s sure helpful.

But to answer op- I’d never hold onto clothes for that king unless is a really nice expensive classy piece. Otherwise, let someone else enjoy.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:35 am
SixOfWands wrote:
If we're talking a high-end designer piece that originally retailed in the mid to high 4 digit range, and you don't need the money from selling it, your kids may want it.

But the chances of them wanting 15 to 20 year old mass market goods are somewhere between zero and none.

And this.

Well put.

mizle10

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:00 am
Even if it’s a classic piece the fit will be outdated... I have a few pieces I kept from my sheva brachos and I laughed when I tried them on. Wide sleeves, boxy shoulders etc..

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:06 am
I also find that after a while, clothes ruin just from sitting. Elastic snaps, fabric loses it's luster, etc....Unless we're talking a year or two, I wouldn't save.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics