Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you save clothes for your dds?
Previous  1  2

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:39 am
my oldest dd and I have different builds. I'm petite and she's broad shoulders. most clothing wouldn't fit her right. I don't even save between daughters for that reason.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:14 am
salt wrote:
I have teenage DDs. They rarely take my 'hand-me-downs' now (good condition clothes that don't really fit me anymore) - so in 15 years time - I wouldn't keep them.
But I do keep my favorite kids' clothes that are in excellent condition for any future grandchildren... but my kids laugh at me that I do that!

I think it's more for us, because we find it hard to let go of the super cute things. This season my dd had the most stunning dress that I bought in the sales for what ended up being my son's lockdown bar mitzvah so hardly anyone has seen it, we've not been out much on shabbos either bc of lockdowns so I told dh that if we don't have another dd I'm still keeping it for grandchildren iyh it's that cute 😆 and my oldest is only my bar mitzvah boy!

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:11 pm
Absolutely not.
1. DD will have different taste.
2. It will be outdated. Even when styles come back, they always come back changed just enough that you can tell something is not current.
3. Clothes age. Fading, closet stains, dead elastic, rusty metal...
4. What makes me think dd will ever be the same size?

My older sis gave me some baby clothes that her kids outgrew. The stuff sat in a closet for about 10 years. The only things that were still usable were some handmade all-wool sweaters that were gorgeous and I never used because a. our apt. was overheated and b. they all had fussy little buttons that I wasn't prepared to deal with. Give me a nice little fleece jacket with a zipper any time.

My philosophy, born of experience, is "let someone who needs it now use it now, and the KBH will see to it that we get new when we need it."

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:13 pm
I would not save my own clothing for my dd unless it was a designer once in a lifetime collection piece.

I do have some clothing from my mother that my grandfather designed. But bec I knew my grandfather it means a lot to me. It would not no sentimental meaning to my dds and I doubt they would want it.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:44 pm
Definitely get rid of it. Pass it along to someone else now and the clothing will be used again. If you keep it in storage for ten years it will sit there and get yellowed and styles will change and when you go through the box when it fits the next kid you will end up just throwing it all out then. If you want the clothing to actually be used again - donate it now after first kid is finished with them.

My two girls are two years apart. I save from one to the next and give it away after the second daughter. My two boys are 6.5 years apart and I just give things away right after the my older one finishes with it. No point in saving them.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:48 pm
I have a couple of unique designer pieces that I’d probably wear in ten years (some are already almost ten years old), so I don’t see why my daughter wouldn’t unless she ends up having very different taste in fashion. Mass produced items tend not to last well, so those should be donated to someone who can enjoy it now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 1:51 pm
To answer some questions the dresses are mostly designer, not like runway but midrange. I used to go out a lot to events and parties, less so now. I have a few dds in elementary school. But you all are probably right I just have a hard time being Marie Kondo. I would love them to go to good use, are there any charities in the tri-state area who would give the clothes to someone who would wear them not just sell them or use for rags?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To answer some questions the dresses are mostly designer, not like runway but midrange. I used to go out a lot to events and parties, less so now. I have a few dds in elementary school. But you all are probably right I just have a hard time being Marie Kondo. I would love them to go to good use, are there any charities in the tri-state area who would give the clothes to someone who would wear them not just sell them or use for rags?

I find it really hard to get rid of stuff too, but the Marie Kondo thing I really like is being thankful for your stuff's service. The dresses served you well, now it's time to thank them for their service and move on. Try to find a place to donate, but try not to get hung up on the life that it will have afterwards (ex: will someone wear it doesn't matter--someone will make use of it in some way, and your part of its journey is over). If it is used for rags, you won't know about it, and it will still be serving someone somewhere. I think it's much harder to get rid of stuff when you worry about what will happen to it next. Good luck OP! It's hard to say goodbye.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 2:19 pm
OP thank you so much for posting this!!! I’d been wanting to post the same question but never got to it.

I really like some of the answers here and I think they make a lot of sense.

For me, one of the hard parts of moving the clothes along is that a lot of them are from my Pre-marriage days and I know my mother spent hard earned money on them. I feel guilty because I have loads of pieces that I would still wear (classic styles) but I don’t fit anymore.

My 10 year is the same build as me (when I was younger) and I feel less guilty saving them for her.

But I doubt she will want them and they take up tons of space. I just feel guilty donating pieces my mother worked hard for and spent energy and time buying for me.

This thread is helping me to realize that I probably should let go of the guilt about it.

For any pieces I do want to save, at what age would a DD be able to fit into clothes I wore in my early 20’s?

Thank you everyone for listening. I probably should have made this a spin off. I’m sorry OP.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 2:56 pm
That’s ok Pink, I think we are similar. I think for me those clothes represent a time when I was young, very thin, beautiful, and a social star, and now I’m a mom approaching 40, so it’s hard to let that young glamorous woman go, by getting rid of the clothes.

gande

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 3:37 pm
There is a movement to wear vintage designers clothes now. there is a store that sells it. I don't think there is anything wrong with holding onto a few beautiful or classic pieces for its sentimental value and hopes that kid will wear it.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:17 pm
Out of 6 daughters, my sisters and I have very different builds and are completely different sizes. I am the only one who ended up the same size as my mother. This wasn't apparent till we became teens, when our bodies really started to change.
Maybe if I had a teen daughter, and I had a truly classic high end piece that might fit her within the next couple of years, I would save it for her. But that's probably it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:36 pm
If it’s a tweed Chanel, save it. Otherwise, toss.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:51 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I asked my shidduch age son, if I should save my current baby born this years clothes? He said he wont take my shmattes for his kids. Talking here about current stuff which he might use in yr or 2. I figured so, but thought maybe when I am a bubby, I will need extras for gkids when they come to me, he also refuses to hear about it. I think I will just find someone who will enjoy it now.

Before you get rid of everything I would save pjs, stretchies, and onesies that are in good condition. My mother has little kids at home and while usually my taste is much more trendy than hers, I always could use extra of these basics.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics