Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What to do to the sleeves/straps to make this more "Yiddish"
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:00 pm
I love this robe, although I usually buy for 2 or 3 years so I am not sure I would get this since it looks like it is a design (floral) that can go out of style quickly. However, nonetheless, I really like the look of it, but I do not like the straps. Is there anything to be done to the straps to make them appear more "Yiddish." I have the same question about many of the clothing I see in the stores now so it is not just applicable to this outfit. Thanks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLFZtsVL_yV/
https://pastelcollections.com/......html
https://pastelcollections.com/......html

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:01 pm
Do you have a picture or link?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:01 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Do you have a picture or link?

Sorry just added it. I forgot to include it in the OP.
I am capable of sewing and fixing myself if relevant, just have never really dealt with straps like this before.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:05 pm
Also, almost everything from babies in the Jewish stores has these straps or straps in the back. Any way to fix that since I wouldn't put my baby in sleeveless and I don't think shells look nice under these thin straps and definitely not with an "x" in back.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also, almost everything from babies in the Jewish stores has these straps or straps in the back. Any way to fix that since I wouldn't put my baby in sleeveless and I don't think shells look nice under these thin straps and definitely not with an "x" in back.

Maybe add a ruffle to them?
It’s meant to be worn with a shell underneath.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:08 pm
You can buy two of them and use the fabric from the second to create sleeves and a somewhat higher neckline. Only if you really like it though because it is an expensive way of doing things, and you would need a skilled seamstress to make it look right.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:13 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Maybe add a ruffle to them?
It’s meant to be worn with a shell underneath.

Its a kids' sundress. Its meant to be worn as is, but its not meant for people to be worn by people who follow the rules of tzinuit. But a child could put a shirt under it, I guess.

I'm confused as to why OP thinks its a robe.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Its a kids' sundress. Its meant to be worn as is, but its not meant for people to be worn by people who follow the rules of tzinuit. But a child could put a shirt under it, I guess.

It's being sold as a Shabbos robe.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:17 pm
It's an adult sundress. But it's pull on, loose and easy to wear. I could see using it as a robe, if it were more tzanua.

If a frum shop wants to call it a robe there's nothing stopping them.

Last edited by Elfrida on Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

It's a frum company and it was marketed as a robe. It actually is meant to be worn exclusively by people who follow tznius rules. I can't see any secular people shopping at Pastel.

OP, maybe you can sew wide ribbon to use as straps.

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:19 pm
Elfrida wrote:
It's an adult sundress. But it's pull on, loose and easy to wear. I could see using it as a robe, if it were more tzanua.

These are kids shabbos robes from a kids store. Many stores are selling this style shabbos robes for kids.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:20 pm
Maybe a puffy sleeve blouse would look more dressed, but then it won’t be as comfortable.

As for style, layering is very trendy now, even in non-tznius conscious circles.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:27 pm
What on earth does "more Yiddish" mean? More like something out of Anatevka or Brooklyn? (Watch this space for my future blockbuster epic, my own answer to Isak Denisen, Out of Brooklyn.) More tzanua? More elegant? IMHO it looks like something poor illiterate hillbillies wear in the backwoods of Arkansas and the only thing I would do with it is rip open a seam and use it for kitchen curtains, but that's just me.

Shabbos robe? No way. You can fool some of the people...

trixx

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:31 pm
I have to agree that a smocked sundress is really not classy or elegant. The bloomers are cute but the ruched top for a young girl isn't. Anyways OP you would probably have to layer or add a cardigan over it. It's not worth the cost (or time if you do it) to build a top up for it. Plus it loses the smock effect so if you just like the material then buy it and make from scratch for the same price

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:34 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

A Jewish company made it for girls. They made it knowing that the girls will wear it with a shell underneath. That’s why I’m saying it’s meant to be worn with a shell.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:37 pm
How hideous.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:38 pm
sequoia wrote:
How hideous.

What is the point of such comments on threads like these?

Frumme

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:04 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
A Jewish company made it for girls. They made it knowing that the girls will wear it with a shell underneath. That’s why I’m saying it’s meant to be worn with a shell.

Eh I don't have much stock in Jewish companies thinking that much into it. Most just sell whatever they think will sell, with no care about how it will be worn. My favorite was going into a Jewish store where there was a big sign:

Quote:
We are not responsible for Shatnez.

Anyway, I don't get how this is a "robe" since a robe is a loose fitting outer garment, but perhaps it's a Yiddishism

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is the point of such comments on threads like these?

It’s not a robe, it’s a strappy dress, and an ugly one at that. Just because a frum store called it a robe doesn’t mean it is one.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:09 pm
Wear a white light cardigan over it.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics