Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Out of Town High School for Girls
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:43 pm
Thank you very much for all the suggestions

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 6:38 am
at twogees, how long ago did you attend BY Boston? and where your parents were living at the time? You don't necessarily need to answer those questions, but it might make a difference to OP's situation.

My understanding is that nowadays BY Boston does not take girls from outside of Boston area, unless there is a very, very good reason (ie- the girls live in a place without a high school or they have a connection to Boston). I don't have girls in that age group, but I've met Rabbi Levin in a professional capacity and he is VERY, VERY protective of his girls!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:17 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Huh?
OP the Lubavitch school in Pittsburgh, PA is wonderful, if you're Chabad (or don't mind sending to Chabad). Very warm, solid girls. I'm not even Lubavitch and would send my DD there if she would be willing! The boarding is with local families, I don't think there's a dorm.

There is a dorm with a dorm counselor.

twogees

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
at twogees, how long ago did you attend BY Boston? and where your parents were living at the time? You don't necessarily need to answer those questions, but it might make a difference to OP's situation.

My understanding is that nowadays BY Boston does not take girls from outside of Boston area, unless there is a very, very good reason (ie- the girls live in a place without a high school or they have a connection to Boston). I don't have girls in that age group, but I've met Rabbi Levin in a professional capacity and he is VERY, VERY protective of his girls!

I went for all of high school. Sept 2008 thru june 2012. My parents lived in NY (and still do) in an area with a few high schools. So we are talking that I started almost 13 yrs ago there. Things may have changed since I started there.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 10:25 am
I’m in Cleveland and YDT (Bais Yaakov Derech Hatorah) has occasionally had girls come from oot in the past. No dorms; they board. Small, warm school.

I know some girls who’ve gone to some of the smaller schools mentioned on this thread and they felt left out and miserable. It’s really important to try to learn about the class dynamics before you go. Some small classes can be cliquey even if you wouldn’t expect them to be. Others are great.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:32 pm
amother White----- I'm in Cleveland too and curious WHY girls come to YDT from outside of Cleveland? Have you spoken to the girls who board and attend YDT?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I’m in Cleveland and YDT (Bais Yaakov Derech Hatorah) has occasionally had girls come from oot in the past. No dorms; they board. Small, warm school.

I know some girls who’ve gone to some of the smaller schools mentioned on this thread and they felt left out and miserable. It’s really important to try to learn about the class dynamics before you go. Some small classes can be cliquey even if you wouldn’t expect them to be. Others are great.

YDT high school in general does NOT have boarders.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:45 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
amother White----- I'm in Cleveland too and curious WHY girls come to YDT from outside of Cleveland? Have you spoken to the girls who board and attend YDT?

I know of a boarder who stayed with relatives because of family issues.

YDT generally doesn't take boarders.

There are girls who board for BYLA, but it's not a small school. (Los Angeles)

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:50 pm
My friend went to BY of Greater Washington in S Springs but that was over 10 years ago
But it was an awesome school

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:56 pm
Maybe Bais Yaakov Detroit?
I once had a babysitter who told me she was a boarder.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics