Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I overeat sometimes and feel terrible after..
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:02 pm
I have an eating issue. To stay on track and not overeat I try to eat a planned menu which is more or less the same thing each day. I eat enough on a regular day so I feel satisfied without overeating.

My problem is on a day like today. Once I decide that I’m not sticking with it, I completely loose control and then I feel so bad afterwards.

I barely slept last night. I am walking around like a zombie and keep feeling like I need energy so I eat something else... I’m also stressed about a few things today so between the stress and being overtired I’m eating out of control.

Here’s what I ate today:

2 pre packaged danishes with coffee (Splenda)
Slice of Muenster cheese
Tuna
Corn
Beets
Hard boiled egg
1/2 slice pizza
Coffee with sugar
Brownie bar
3 bowls of sugared cereal Can't Believe It TMI
And I’m invited to a bar mitzvah tonight...

How can I make sure I don’t get like this ever again????????
It will probably take me a whole week to loose the weight I gained from today IF I’m super careful...
This has been happening too often... I think I’m good.. then I just let myself go and I regret it after...
I- need-help.....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:04 pm
Me.
Every.
Single.
Day.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:06 pm
Same here

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:09 pm
That sounds like an eating disorder.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:10 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

Yeah, well...

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:36 pm
This isn't called eating a lot.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:36 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

I think she means the opposite of how you've interpreted it. I might be wrong though I thought she was saying it's an eating disorder that you think you ate so much.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:50 pm
Stop eating starchy grainy fruity carbs and processed food. Like many of us who had out of control eating disordered have discovered, some people react to glucose rises by eating like maniacs when the glucose falls. Keeping your blood sugar steady by eating things that keep your blood sugar stable like protein, fat and low carb veg, can even you out. I had food in my mouth all day. I could not stop. Or if I managed to, I suffered, probably because I ate fruit even when I was being ‘good’ and it made me crazy.

It’s not hard to try for a few days. Eat what you want of fat and protein. Eat salty food. Suddenly you’ll know what I’m taking about. True story.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:53 pm
Definitely listen to Andrea Levy. She's the expert around here.

Not sleeping means that your body needs more calories to get through the day. If you are making poor food choices, those calories can end up sticking around.

As for portions, I tend to overeat as well. I'm hypoglycemic, and I also don't have much of an appetite because of the medications I'm on. When my blood sugar drops it's usually very sudden, and then I end up stuffing my face with whatever is within reach.

I'm working on having better quality meals, in smaller amounts, all through the day. Otherwise I just binge on a huge dinner and then sleep like a log.

I've had to train myself to take one small portion, and then wait a full hour. After that, I check in with my body and see if I actually NEED another helping of food, or if I just sort of want it. It can take up to an hour for your gut to send satiety messages to your brain.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 12:21 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
This isn't called eating a lot.

You don’t think that was overeating?
Danishes, brownies, 3 bowls sugared cereal... plus a lot more

I ended off my day eating at a bar mitzvah tonight then coming home and eating Pringle’s and pretzels... and a chocolate rugaleh... with iced tea

There is definitely something wrong here.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 7:14 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Definitely listen to Andrea Levy. She's the expert around here.

Not sleeping means that your body needs more calories to get through the day. If you are making poor food choices, those calories can end up sticking around.

As for portions, I tend to overeat as well. I'm hypoglycemic, and I also don't have much of an appetite because of the medications I'm on. When my blood sugar drops it's usually very sudden, and then I end up stuffing my face with whatever is within reach.

I'm working on having better quality meals, in smaller amounts, all through the day. Otherwise I just binge on a huge dinner and then sleep like a log.

I've had to train myself to take one small portion, and then wait a full hour. After that, I check in with my body and see if I actually NEED another helping of food, or if I just sort of want it. It can take up to an hour for your gut to send satiety messages to your brain.

Hey honey, thanks for the love❤️. This should also work for hypo because you don’t produce as much insulin in response to what you’re eating...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:27 am
I’m so sad because I see that I wrote this thread over a year ago and not much changed.
I am conscious of what I eat most of the time until... I’m not and then I just loose control. That happens too often. I have a very big appetite and enjoy good tasting food too much!!!!
Recently I heard about someone I know who was extremely heavy and started to be careful with what she was eating. She lost 75 pounds!!!!
Why can’t I loose 10 pounds? I’m actually 3 pounds more from when I wrote this in December 2019.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:31 am
Have you looked into "intuitive eating"? https://www.intuitiveeating.org/

It's not a restrictive diet. It's about being mindful of what your body cues are, and what your emotional triggers are. There are a lot of coping mechanisms that can help you manage, and you'll look at things in a whole new way.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:49 am
Op I can so relate, except that my list of what I ate would look horrendously worse.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 8:20 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Op I can so relate, except that my list of what I ate would look horrendously worse.

Crazy thing is that this list of food is over a year old and I would totally be able to eat that now on a bad day. But I would probably include some milk chocolate and lasagna 😣.
I’m 5 feet tall. I cannot eat like this.

ora_43

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 8:22 am
Is there any pattern to what triggers it?

Eg:
tiredness
boredom
anxiety
overeating happens at certain times of day/week, eg every shabbos afternoon, or in the evening after dinner
it's hard to stop eating specific foods
overeating happens at certain intervals, eg 2-3 days where you control your eating carefully, then you overeat
you overeat when you're both eating and doing something else (eg eating while reading)

I think figuring out the cause is key to figuring out the solution.

Two general thoughts:

One, make sure you're getting enough calories. If you are trying to cut back to the equivalent of a bowl of rice with steamed vegetables 3x a day, then the "overeating" might be a natural reaction to insufficient food.

Two, make sure you're drinking plenty of water, and getting some regular exercise, even just a little. That helps keep energy levels up even when cutting back on calories. Just IMHO, that's a big part of what works for me.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Crazy thing is that this list of food is over a year old and I would totally be able to eat that now on a bad day. But I would probably include some milk chocolate and lasagna 😣.
I’m 5 feet tall. I cannot eat like this.

Wow I just noticed this is an old thread!
Just proves what I always tell myself that these habits don’t change.

What I want to try eventually is:
Intuitive eating
No carb diet like Andrea suggested
A therapist!

Did you or anyone here try any of those? I’d love to hear which to try first.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:32 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Wow I just noticed this is an old thread!
Just proves what I always tell myself that these habits don’t change.

What I want to try eventually is:
Intuitive eating
No carb diet like Andrea suggested
A therapist!

Did you or anyone here try any of those? I’d love to hear which to try first.

I have tried all 3 of those things. I weight about 250 pounds and would like to weigh 180. (Being VERY realistic here, that isn't even in the officially healthy range for my height).

I tried no carbs and it was too hard for me. I like food way too much and I ALWAYS felt deprived to not be able to eat cookies and cake and challah on shabbos or pasta.... I felt like I was punishing myself. I lost weight but gained it back after I stopped being careful because it was so hard.

I see a therapist who taught me about intuitive eating. Literally, changed my life and outlook on food. The BEST decision I ever made. Now I am pregnant and not trying to lose but I have not gained too much which is a great sign for me. But afterwards, I am hoping to incorporate the principles of intuitive eating along with some diet behavior to lose some weight.

I learned so much about why I eat, all the crazy emotions that I associate with food and eating, how to set myself up for success, how to get back on track, how to not ABSOLUTELY HATE myself every time I lose it and eat too much. Now I approach my diet and food from a kind compassionate place as opposed to the forceful, negative, self-hating place I used to.

Even if you don't have an eating disorder, (which I don't) seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders can be extremely helpful!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:21 am
Honestly, I follow weight watchers.
Originally I lost 25 pounds and kept it off following more or less for years. Then I had a few kids, became super stressed and ate too much. For some reason I just can’t loose again. I have to admit that as long as I stick with it, I don’t gain. But I don’t loose either. It doesn’t help that sometimes I get stressed and binge eat every once in a while.
I need major life changes. I’m older- I need to exercise. I’ve never exercised before. I have to cut back on carbs... it’s soooo hard!!!!! I’m not asking to loose over 50 pounds. Just 15-20. People do that all the time.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:57 pm
What worked for me was doing a deep dive into the neuroscience of food addictions. Then, cutting gluten, dairy, minimizing sugar and grains, and aiming for low carb and adding in lots of healthy fats. Modified paleo. This drastically reduced my obsession with food. Then, intuitive eating just to tune me in to how unpleasant I feel when I overeat, and how lethargic, anxious, and fuzzy I get when I overdo the sugar. I literally never over eat anymore, and hardly ever over do the sugar. Just because of how awful it makes me feel. I believe it always made me feel this way, but I never really paid attention because I was completely addicted.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise