Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Home made mishloach manot. Do you keep or throw away?
1  2  Next

Homemade shaloch manot?
We throw everything away from other people.  
 6%  [ 13 ]
Depends on if we know their kashrut or not.  
 43%  [ 84 ]
We dont keep it but we dont throw it away, we give it away  
 3%  [ 6 ]
Other (any other reason you might get rid of home made MM  
 3%  [ 7 ]
home made is the best. We love those.  
 43%  [ 83 ]
Total Votes : 193

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:38 am
The poll really says it all. What do you do with home made mishloach manot?

For us, we love home made mishloach manot. We usually throw out the other junk like taffies and candies but keep everything home made.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:40 am
Can I please add an option like "I happily eat anything that comes through my door!"?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:41 am
watergirl wrote:
Can I please add an option like "I happily eat anything that comes through my door!"?
My first option was something like that Smile
Dont know why it was not included. Im going to try to fix that.

I went back to edit and I cant edit the poll Sad

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:45 am
Why throw out food? Unless there's a serious question about kashrus I would find a purpose to all food and if kashrus is an issue, then give it to your cleaning person. Even a taffy, I had a friend who didn't have kids for a long time but I would go visit her with mine and she would pull out some nosh for them.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:47 am
Depends, what is the calorie-to-yumminess ratio of said food. We talking Brownies or Homemade bran and kale muffins?

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:48 am
I happily eat most homemade things, unless it’s not something I’d eat anyway.

Ex. I don’t like blueberry muffins or prune hamantashen, be they homemade or store bought. I keep chalav yisrael, whether it’s homemade or store bought, etc.

If something doesn’t look appetizing (I once got green-dough hamantashen with bright purple jam to match someone’s costume of The Incredible Hulk), or I took a bite and don’t like it (ex. cookie tastes stale), I don’t think it’s bal tashchis to get rid of it. I don’t have to put *everything* edible into my body...

I don’t feel comfortable regifting homemade items (here’s my MM and btw the Klein family made that muffin) to individuals, so it’s either we eat it, I make it hefker in a group setting (ex. send them to a yeshiva the next day and then it’s out of my hands, put everything up for grabs at the end of the Purim seuda so my guests can pick stuff they like) or I toss it.

I also very much appreciate when people include allergy and kashrus info (ex. pareve, baked in a milchig oven).

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total

lk1234

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:50 am
Home made mishloach manos are the best type! I let my kids have all the packaged stuff but they know the homemade stuff is for mommy Smile

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:54 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
My first option was something like that Smile
Dont know why it was not included. Im going to try to fix that.

I went back to edit and I cant edit the poll Sad

I'm not a mod of this forum so I cant edit. I forgot! Count that as my vote!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:58 am
Only if they go bad. We don't always get around to sorting all our MM on Purim day, so perishable items sometimes get overlooked until it's too late.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:01 am
If I trust their kashrus and food hygiene/cleanliness standards, yes.

If either of those are questionable, or it is something perishable that looks like it may have sat out awhile, no.

sari00

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:03 am
Depending on who it's from... clean, kosher family definitely homemade is yumm

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:06 am
1. I may not feel confident about kashrus standards matching those of my household as we keep certain stringencies. I usually know who a particular MM is from. I may find someone else to give the food away to or otherwise discard. Of course, I appreciate the MM.
2. If there were say, hamentaschen clearly homemade likely by kids--they appear to be the work of young children, and I know they have small kids...I throw them away. It's not a kashrus thing, it's more of a hygiene thing. I appreciate the MM, but no thanks. FYI I usually set them aside and dispose of them not in front of my kids because I don't want my kids to feel bad about or judge their friends...and then go tell them. Same with #1, unless it's a packaged food that is obvious that we don't eat that item with that certification, I give away/dispose of things discretely.
3. other than that, yeah home mades are great and my favorite treats are usually among those!

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:08 am
I only eat it if it's from someone I'd eat by, like family, or close friends and neighbors. Not colleagues or community acquaintances.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:10 am
miami85 wrote:
Why throw out food? Unless there's a serious question about kashrus I would find a purpose to all food and if kashrus is an issue, then give it to your cleaning person. Even a taffy, I had a friend who didn't have kids for a long time but I would go visit her with mine and she would pull out some nosh for them.

I try hard not to waste food but despite my best efforts there are always some things that go in the garbage for me. No one wants my random zazas, and I consider it a service to humanity to throw out any kind of crazy sticky/gloopy candy that we get.

As for homemade items, we eat almost all that we get. Occasionally there is something that is really just not to our taste and it ends up in the trash. If I went to the ends of the earth I could probably find someone to take it but almost no one I know would take a random home baked item from someone they don't know.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:15 am
Mod note: I was able to edit the poll. Enjoy!

keym

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:21 am
My issue with homemade stuff is that often it doesn't package and transport well
Meaning in your house, I'd be thrilled to eat your muffins or biscotti or soup.
But when I open the MM and the biscotti is mostly crumbs, the wrapping of the muffin is squished with glaze, and the soup is sloshing all over the bag, then I toss it.

In other words, yes please to homemade if it's packaged well and holds up.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:34 am
I eat homemade if I know the people that gave it and it looks appetizing. Otherwise I give it away.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:38 am
Only if I trust them and it looks appetizing.

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:39 am
I will eat homemade if I know the people that gave it and it looks like something I want to taste.
Otherwise, garbage. I won't give away something homemade to another person.

honey36

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:46 am
Another vote that home made stuff is the best! I'm hope no one throws out the homemade goods I made this year. I was worried that with extra corona precautions everyone only wants store bought pre-packaged stuff like I've been reading on previous threads. But it really doesn't make sense because even if we find out later we had corona when making the food, and it somehow got in it, it can only last 1-2 days max on food right? And we obviously did not make all the stuff that day or the day before. If your really worried, let the cookies/muffins sit around for an extra day. They'll still be good. So I don't really get that logic.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics