Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Breathing on food s/o from serving food thread
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:36 am
Since when are people worried about others breathing on their food? Is this a new thing since coronavirus? Has coronavirus made us all aware of how much we all breathe on each other?
Pre-coronavirus had you ever thought to be worried about a waiter breathing on your food while bringing it to you?
Do you realize that we literally breathe in air that was exhaled by someone else Confused

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:38 am
Some people have hangups. Most don't. If someone can't tolerate having a plate of food passed around, she shouldn't eat with other people.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:44 am
If someone sneezes, coughs, or breaths heavily directly over a serving platter, yes, that bothered me before covid.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
If someone sneezes, coughs, or breaths heavily directly over a serving platter, yes, that bothered me before covid.

That would be pretty revolting, but the poster referenced in the op was grossed out by just having a communal serving platter. Not the same thing.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:57 am
I was always grossed out by platters being passed around and everyone breathing on the food while taking. Nothing to do with covid. Peoples faces are too close to the food.

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Since when are people worried about others breathing on their food? Is this a new thing since coronavirus? Has coronavirus made us all aware of how much we all breathe on each other?
Pre-coronavirus had you ever thought to be worried about a waiter breathing on your food while bringing it to you?
Do you realize that we literally breathe in air that was exhaled by someone else Confused

I thought the poster is ridiculous. Everyone breathes on everyones food. She should only eat the food she cooked herself, otherwise the food will always be breathed on.

trixx

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:12 am
Hope that poster doesn't go to restaurants lol. However a bigger concern which I saw a lot of in Israel - no serving utensils and then ppl stuck their own forks in. Ewww

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:18 am
imaima wrote:
I thought the poster is ridiculous. Everyone breathes on everyones food. She should only eat the food she cooked herself, otherwise the food will always be breathed on.

How does everyone breathe on everyone's food?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I was always grossed out by platters being past around and everyone breathing on the food while taking. Nothing to do with covid. Peoples faces are too close to the food.

The hostess that plated your food most probably also breathed in close proximity to your food.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:25 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
The hostess that plated your food most probably also breathed in close proximity to your food.

When someone plates the food, it's only 1 person dealing with the food till it gets to me & it's usually not so close to the face as a platter that's being passed around. 10 or more faces can be on a food platter till it reaches me.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:45 am
So asymptotic people are spreading COVID out of their mouths even if they don’t cough or sneeze, but nothing can be transmitted onto food platters by people sitting right over platters for extended periods?
Of course yucky stuff can get on the food. And some people especially spit when the talk.
It’s gross but a little exposure to germs is good for the immune system anyhow.
I try not to think about it. You can either ignore it or never eat outside your own kitchen and never have guests again.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:55 am
My mother in law puts platters out for all courses in the middle of the table (besides for soup)
She's a great cook but I'm always put off when eating there as some rude people sometimes sneak a bit of food from the communal platters with their fingers or just toy with their cutlery and the food there.

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:18 pm
Fwiw, I do think the pandemic has made me more aware of things that I never really considered in the past. I used to spend a whole day out and about, touching door handles, holding on to the disgusting subway poles, and not even wash my hands when I came home. Or eat from the same kiddush platters that everyone was sticking their hands into and jostling everything around. I'm aware that it hasn't killed me by now, but I will walk away from all this more conscious about trying to avoid those behaviors.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
My mother in law puts platters out for all courses in the middle of the table (besides for soup)
She's a great cook but I'm always put off when eating there as some rude people sometimes sneak a bit of food from the communal platters with their fingers or just toy with their cutlery and the food there.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine and the reason I love serving on a buffet. The breathing on food is one thing. BUT... Taking a bite of challah and then dipping into a communal bowl of chummus with it? Using the fork that was already in your mouth to scrape some extra food off a platter and onto your plate? Sticking your unclean finger onto a cake plate to wipe off some extra frosting for yourself? Might as well just come spit into my mouth.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
This is a huge pet peeve of mine and the reason I love serving on a buffet. The breathing on food is one thing. BUT... Taking a bite of challah and then dipping into a communal bowl of chummus with it? Using the fork that was already in your mouth to scrape some extra food off a platter and onto your plate? Sticking your unclean finger onto a cake plate to wipe off some extra frosting for yourself? Might as well just come spit into my mouth.

Puke Puke

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:50 pm

Just FYI, this is VERY cultural. I was once a guest at the home of a certain culture (not naming here because I do not want to offend) and my coworker warned me before I went that there are typically not serving utensils at this kind of culture's home. We got there and true enough, they all used their own forks and spoons and even their hands to take food off the platters.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:57 pm
watergirl wrote:
Just FYI, this is VERY cultural. I was once a guest at the home of a certain culture (not naming here because I do not want to offend) and my coworker warned me before I went that there are typically not serving utensils at this kind of culture's home. We got there and true enough, they all used their own forks and spoons and even their hands to take food off the platters.

I’m sure their immune systems are all the stronger for living this way but please G-D don’t let me ever be a guest in such a home!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 1:40 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Fwiw, I do think the pandemic has made me more aware of things that I never really considered in the past. I used to spend a whole day out and about, touching door handles, holding on to the disgusting subway poles, and not even wash my hands when I came home. Or eat from the same kiddush platters that everyone was sticking their hands into and jostling everything around. I'm aware that it hasn't killed me by now, but I will walk away from all this more conscious about trying to avoid those behaviors.

The funny thing is, these were all things I was aware of and careful abt before covid. I actually did not have a hard time adjusting to these precautions last spring because (other than masks and social distancing) it was pretty much stuff I was doing anyway. I felt pretty calm compared to people around me and secure in my precautions.
I think the only new measure I put into place is not buying fountain sodas or slurpees because of other people handling the cups and lids (though I always took from the back of the pile).

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 3:18 pm
watergirl wrote:

That's disgusting. And I don't care what culture their from. In westernised countries, it's considered unhygienic and poor manners. Its time to adapt.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 3:24 pm
That's disgusting. And I don't care what culture their from. In westernised countries, it's considered unhygienic and poor manners. Its time to adapt.

It’s gross to me also but I am not going to knock their beautiful culture. This is very much their normal and I respect it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette