Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Home made mishloach manot. Do you keep or throw away?
Previous  1  2

Homemade shaloch manot?
We throw everything away from other people.  
 6%  [ 13 ]
Depends on if we know their kashrut or not.  
 43%  [ 84 ]
We dont keep it but we dont throw it away, we give it away  
 3%  [ 6 ]
Other (any other reason you might get rid of home made MM  
 3%  [ 7 ]
home made is the best. We love those.  
 43%  [ 83 ]
Total Votes : 193

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 7:46 am
I trust the kashrus of anyone who gives me so that's not an issue.
If it's challah or a nicely wrapped baked good I freeze it and we eat it the next few Shabbosim. If it's small containers of salad or soup or a sandwich a lot gets dumped. Once something like that sits out for hours at the givers house and the again at mine before I can get it in the fridge it's not fresh enough for me to feel comfortable freezing it. We eat some for snacks on Purim or lunch the next day but it goes bad before we can eat all of it.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 8:37 am
Kind of picky eater here. We throw out plenty. That's even with bought stuff.

If it's something we like and looks appetizing we eat/save. My husband usually tastes it all, I'm not like that, I'm bad at tasting.

I think last yr we made a box of all bought food We didn't eat and dropped it off someplace. (Can't remember if we wanted to do it or actually did it.)

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:08 am
If I know their kashrut then I keep it. Otherwise, I give it to someone else.

There are non-Jewish workers, there are people who aren't halachically Jewish. We give them what we received and they are happy and touched, and we are happy to make them happy and also that we didn't waste good food.

4g01o

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:48 am
I voted give it away bc we give it to the kids 🤣

sky

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:48 am
Keep

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:59 am
I never give away homemade mm. If its something I like and its packaged well I eat and enjoy. If its not my taste. the packaging didn't hold or its something that sat around for hours I just toss. The homemade stuff are the best stuff and the worst stuff!!

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:40 am
I voted for depends on if I know the person's kashrut standards but it's more than that. I need to know their cleanliness standards and if they're into healthy or not. I'm very particular about food in all kinds of ways. But I don't throw out. Food is passed on to housekeeper and secretaries.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:44 am
If you don't think someone's cleanliness standards are good enough, please don't pass them on to someone else. That's really not fair, if they assume it is from you/your clean kitchen, while it actually was made in unsanitary conditions.
That's one reason I will not repurpose homemade MMs, also because you are passing off the homemade food as made according to your kashrus standards, and unsuspecting recipients may not have chosen to eat it if they knew who had actually made/handled the food.

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:46 am
mommyhood wrote:
I trust the kashrus of anyone who gives me so that's not an issue.

Same here.

Homemade is the best! I guess I'm lucky to have good cooks as my friends.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:48 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
If you don't think someone's cleanliness standards are good enough, please don't pass them on to someone else. That's really not fair, if they assume it is from you/your clean kitchen, while it actually was made in unsanitary conditions.
That's one reason I will not repurpose homemade MMs, also because you are passing off the homemade food as made according to your kashrus standards, and unsuspecting recipients may not have chosen to eat it if they knew who had actually made/handled the food.

Nothing is repurposed into MM and nothing is given with the claim I made it. I offer it with explanation that it was given as a gift. They are free to take it or leave it. They always take.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:57 am
Depends on the sender and the condition of said homemade goods. If the kashrut is questionable, it gets thrown out because I don't really have anyone nonjewish to give it to. (There are nonJews at work, but if I bring food to the office, people assume it's unquestionably kosher. )

If it's all squooshed and mushed and generally unattractive, like a cake that looks like someone sat on it, or a queen Esther figure made of assorted slices of fruit and candies that were handled by who knows how many not-necessarily-clean little hands, well, that's going out, too. OTOH I always look forward to the chuchuka my Moroccan friend sends us every year because she's a superb cook.

suremom

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 10:24 am
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
Depends, what is the calorie-to-yumminess ratio of said food. We talking Brownies or Homemade bran and kale muffins?

Well, you do want to satisfy all members of the household, right? Your man might be quite happy with the latter!

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:00 pm
Other: we keep the ones from family and closest friends. Almost everything else gets tossed.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:08 pm
Depends on what it is and who made it.
I don’t regift, but I put it the break room (I’m the only Jewish person, so Kashrut is irrelevant) at work and it disappears like magic. I tell people that I didn’t make it and to help themselves.
The taffy and Zazas go there also.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:31 pm
We like and keep homemade mm and eat whatever looks tasty, especially baked goods, like homemade rolls, pitot, cakes and oznei Haman and also things like pasta dishes or pashtidot. We trust the kashrut of our friends and neighbors.
Less desirable things wander into the fridge until either someone fancies them or else they go bad and need to be thrown out. The latter happens to most of these little soggy salads. Things that seem plain unhygienic, like grubby fruit slices and wrapper-less sticky sweets or open bowls of lukewarm hummus get thrown out the moment they get discovered.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 1:57 pm
These are in my homemade mishloach manos.

I’ll send virtual hamantaschen to all who want them 🥳

shanie5

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:34 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
These are in my homemade mishloach manos.

I’ll send virtual hamantaschen to all who want them 🥳

ME! ME! ME!

[How about the recipe for next year?]

bigsis144

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:42 pm
shanie5 wrote:
ME! ME! ME!

[How about the recipe for next year?]

Recipe is originally from imamother!! It comes full circle!!!

From username cookielady:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
1/3 cup apple juice
5 -5 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
3 tsp baking powder

- Beat eggs and sugar until creamy. Add oil and beat.
- Add juice and extracts. Add baking powder.
- Gradually add flour until it becomes a good dough consistency.
- Fill with favorite filling.
- Bake at 350 for approx. 10 minutes (until bottom is golden. I had to bake closer to 15 minutes, but I guess it varies from oven to oven.)

These freeze very well.

The dough is soooo easy to work with and rerolls like a dream without falling apart!

—

For the filling, you can use whatever you like, but I made normal brownie batter and put a dollop in each center. These taste like reisman’s brownie bars!

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 7:45 pm
Stunning!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics