Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Safe for Morah in 70s to watch 8 3 year olds?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:09 pm
Do you think it's safe to send my very active almost 3 year old to a licensed playgroup that will consist of a morah in her low to mid 70s and no assistant with a total of eight 2.5 to 3 year olds?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you think it's safe to send my very active almost 3 year old to a licensed playgroup that will consist of a morah in her low to mid 70s and no assistant with a total of eight 2.5 to 3 year olds?

If she is licensed, doesn’t she need to legally have an assistant?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:12 pm
It isn't safe even if she would be 30.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:14 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

No, she doesn't https://www.nj.gov/dcf/provide.....g.pdf
Not that it's a good idea, but it's not illegal

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:14 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

No, she doesn't legally need an assistant.

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

no

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:18 pm
No.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

It’s different in NY

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:22 pm
Ummm...my 2 in laws who are both 69 can't keep up with my one toddler.
Regardless, I would never send to a playgroup with a ratio of 1 to 8, no matter who the teacher was.

amother
Azure

amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

I looked up the licensing manual, and there appears to be an additional requirement that looks applicable. I'm not from NJ though, so not sure. I would review the entire rules, not just ratios.

Quote:
(k) For early childhood programs, the following shall apply:
1. A minimum of two staff members, one of whom shall be at least 18 years of age,
shall be present and involved in the care of children when:
I. At least six children are present, who are below six years of age; or

Edit to provide link to manual: http://www.nj.gov/dcf/provider.....l.pdf

amother
Plum

Ema of 4 wrote:
It’s different in NY

It's legal in NY as well above age 2.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:23 pm
Where is playgroup located? In her house with no one around or a classroom in daycare setting? In daycare setting I'm assuming there are other adults to take over in case of an emergency.
I don't see anything wrong with one teacher and 8 kids!
Is she a healthy lady? It's a phisically demanding job for anyone, question is does she have the energy to take care of such young kids!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Where is playgroup located? In her house with no one around or a classroom in daycare setting? In daycare setting I'm assuming there are other adults to take over in case of an emergency.
I don't see anything wrong with one teacher and 8 kids!
Is she a healthy lady? It's a phisically demanding job for anyone, question is does she have the energy to take care of such young kids!!

It's in her house. She also has a fenced yard and occasionally takes the kids on walks while they are all holding onto hooks attached to a stroller. She said if a kid is the type to run away she will attach a velcro bracelet to a string attached to the stroller. She lives on a quiet block that doesn't get a lot of traffic.

It is a legal ratio where I live. I am assuming she is healthy. I was planning on visiting one day to observe. She has been doing it for decades.

I've never sent out this kid yet so I have no idea how he will be in a group setting, but at home he needs to be watched like a hawk, and he still manages to make/get into plenty of trouble. Hopefully he'll be better though in September, which is when he would be starting playgroup.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:42 pm
I also would not send on a regular basis to a single adult watching 8 kids alone. Even if she was much younger. The age makes me even more nervous, although I do know some 70 year olds who are much more energetic than me (30's).

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's in her house. She also has a fenced yard and occasionally takes the kids on walks while they are all holding onto hooks attached to a stroller. She said if a kid is the type to run away she will attach a velcro bracelet to a string attached to the stroller. She lives on a quiet block that doesn't get a lot of traffic.

It is a legal ratio where I live. I am assuming she is healthy. I was planning on visiting one day to observe. She has been doing it for decades.

I've never sent out this kid yet so I have no idea how he will be in a group setting, but at home he needs to be watched like a hawk, and he still manages to make/get into plenty of trouble. Hopefully he'll be better though in September, which is when he would be starting playgroup.

I have a playgroup and I hear that quite often!
Kids that age will explore, mommies are usually trying to get things done...so lots of possibilities to make trouble.
In playgroup setting, room is usually baby proof and morah is watching everyone, kids are usually busy with toys/stories/projects and don't make trouble!!
Problems come up if kids are aggressive, or very behind in speech and don't know how to express their needs or communicatewith other children.
Ask her what's her back up plan if she has an emergency. If she doesn't feel well or one of the kids has a medical emergency... I would want to know how she would deal with it.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:56 pm
The size of the group doesn’t bother as much as the age of the teacher. People in that age group tend to have different disciplinary methods that don’t jive with today’s young children. My DS has a rebbe that age this year and it’s a very bad fit for him. But that’s my personal preference. If the teacher had younger assistants working with her, then it wouldn’t bother me as much.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 1:01 pm
One of the best moros I ever sent my kids to was a woman in her mid 60s. My son LOVED her. The warmest most bubby like woman. I would send other kids there in a heartbeat. I once took him in late so I walked in and saw her sitting on the floor playing with the kids. I cant even do that and I am not 40 yet.

The only difference is that she had 2 assistants. But the age really was not an issue. I like that she was older, she didnt sweat the small stuff. She was much more laid back then some younger teachers my other kids had.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 1:04 pm
I'm calling around playgroups for next year and every group I'm calling is either 1 teacher for 10 kids or 2 for 20. I don't know what to do! I need a playgroup for next year and groups are filling up fast but I don't want to send to such a large group.

princessleah

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:00 pm
What if someone has an accident and needs to be cleaned up? What if someone needs diaper change? Who is watching the rest of the kids?

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:04 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I'm calling around playgroups for next year and every group I'm calling is either 1 teacher for 10 kids or 2 for 20. I don't know what to do! I need a playgroup for next year and groups are filling up fast but I don't want to send to such a large group.

The only small groups are the legal playgroups. That’s really all there is. You are paying 3x the price bec it’s a fraction the kids.

My dd goes to a Morah in her 60s and she is just wonderful has so much patience, love, acceptance. I’d send to her for years In a heartbeat.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers