Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Scene from Tanach?

Frumme

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:50 pm
Someone was looking to gift us this needlepoint work, but I'm not sure what scene from Tanach (if it is a scene from Tanach) is being depicted. I don't know if I really like it in any case (tznius etc), but just for curiousity's sake I'd like to know.

Any ideas? Maybe something to do with a "lady of the night" since the woman is wearing a red sash.

Thanks!
Hidden: 

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:54 pm
Looks more Christian to me. Maybe I just don't know Tanach so well.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:07 pm
A little hard to see the details in the pic, but possibly Delilah preening in front of the blinded, captive Samson. If I wanted a picture of Samson in my house (which I don't), Delilah wouldn't figure in it: it would be Samson pushing the pillars of Beit Dagon at the moment when they start to collapse, and the caption would be "Tamut nafshi im Plishtim."

I am not ambivalent at all: IMO it's aesthetically hideous, and portrays a less-than-flattering moment in Jewish history. Even if the woman weren't standing in a blatantly s*xually provocative pose, I wouldn't have it in my house.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:08 pm
Could it be eishes potifar and yosef?
Yeah it's ugly

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:27 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Could it be eishes potifar and yosef?
Yeah it's ugly

Could be, but Yoseph was young and the man in the pic has grey hair. Besides, does the man in the pic look like someone that woman would lust after?

hodeez

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:32 pm
That artist must have been on some heightened psychedelics when this was fashioned..

trixx

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:32 pm
I thought Samson and Delilah too and yeah it's super ugly.

Frumme

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:53 pm
zaq wrote:
A little hard to see the details in the pic, but possibly Delilah preening in front of the blinded, captive Samson. If I wanted a picture of Samson in my house (which I don't), Delilah wouldn't figure in it: it would be Samson pushing the pillars of Beit Dagon at the moment when they start to collapse, and the caption would be "Tamut nafshi im Plishtim."

I am not ambivalent at all: IMO it's aesthetically hideous, and portrays a less-than-flattering moment in Jewish history. Even if the woman weren't standing in a blatantly s*xually provocative pose, I wouldn't have it in my house.

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense if it's Delilah and Shimshon. And definitely not for my house for a multitude of reasons. Lol.

Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics