Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Free apartment in California
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:39 am
Someone told me that there is free apartments with food in California for guests if you reserve. Abyone know anything about this? Thank you. Im separated and really could use it.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:41 am
Do you mean for bikur cholim cases?

Haven't heard of anything like that otherwise.

Hugs! Much hatzlacha.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:54 am
No I mean chesed apartments not bikur cholim.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 7:33 am
No, sorry, dont think so.
There is Bikur cholim apartments. There is also Hachnasos orchim rooms that are meant for meshulachim. Neither come with food.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 7:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No I mean chesed apartments not bikur cholim.

Chesed apartments are bikur cholim apartments.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 7:36 am
Where in CA? Contact the local chesed org of the city you need to be in and ask if your situation qualifies.

Do you have a need for chesed or is this a vacation and you are hoping for a free accomodation?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 8:27 am
It sounds like OP is looking for free hospitality and lodging for a vacation. I'm sorry about your predicament OP, but if I understood you correctly, nothing like that exists. As noted, they are meant for bikur cholim for people forced to be in the area for medical treatments, or sometimes for collectors from E"Y for short-term stays. If I misunderstood your intentions, I apologize, in which case please clarify what you are looking for.

shmosmom

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
It sounds like OP is looking for free hospitality and lodging for a vacation. I'm sorry about your predicament OP, but if I understood you correctly, nothing like that exists. As noted, they are meant for bikur cholim for people forced to be in the area for medical treatments, or sometimes for collectors from E"Y for short-term stays. If I misunderstood your intentions, I apologize, in which case please clarify what you are looking for.

I found myself nodding along reading this, but then rethought it.
Pesach is about having ANYONE who needs over for Seder. It's like literally right at the beginning of the hagaddah. Not "if you or a family member is physically ill", nor "if you're from Eretz Yisrael collecting money". It's open invite for ALL. Accommodating for all of Pesach is not expected, but it's not so off base for someone to ask. No one wants to spend the holidays alone.
Good luck OP. Hope you will have an enjoyable Pesach wherever you end up being.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 9:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Someone told me that there is free apartments with food in California for guests if you reserve. Abyone know anything about this? Thank you. Im separated and really could use it.

No there isn’t. I’m not sure where this rumor originated from but I’d appreciate it if you told your source this does not exist.

I get calls like this all the time, and I’m not sure where this misconception came from. I’m sorry you’re going through a hard time and I feel for you. Maybe instead of a vacation in California, try taking the day off and going for a manicure instead.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 9:04 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

this...
OP unless you mamash NEED to be in CA for Pesach (not for a vacation, but for logistical needs- like to be near your kids, or have your kids near your dh) and you 100% cannot afford it, it's not okay for you to take advantage of something like this

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 10:30 am
shmosmom wrote:
I found myself nodding along reading this, but then rethought it.
Pesach is about having ANYONE who needs over for Seder. It's like literally right at the beginning of the hagaddah. Not "if you or a family member is physically ill", nor "if you're from Eretz Yisrael collecting money". It's open invite for ALL. Accommodating for all of Pesach is not expected, but it's not so off base for someone to ask. No one wants to spend the holidays alone.
Good luck OP. Hope you will have an enjoyable Pesach wherever you end up being.

Except no one NEEDS a vacation spot where they are forced to rely on others. While it isn't nice to have YT alone, as long as people have food that is needed. Which was the point of that piece of the Haggadah. Whoever is hungry, let them eat. Not whoever wants a vacation rental with food for free let them come.
LA is not some uber wealthy city where we can do for everyone. We have trouble supporting our own needy, which we have plenty of. Covid has hit us hard and is still hitting us hard. Many work in industries that have been closed for a year. Tomchei has had many new clients.
And speaking of covid, please don't travel here and spread COVID. If you are coming anyways- FYI we have a CA variant. It is more contagious. Wear a mask even outdoors (law). Socially distance.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:57 am
Well there actually is a family who specifically built there house for guests. They have made their upstairs into an apartment with a little kitchen, living room, bathroom and two bedrooms, and downstairs hotel like bedrooms with bathrooms attached. They love having guests and people go to them for Shabbos to get away and they host. The community prefers that the people come give back to the community like speaking or something but definitely not a requirement.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you need a women's shelter?

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:29 am
Op asked a question.

She does not need mussar.

Hatzlocha Op

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:31 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Op asked a question.

Hatzlocha Op

Yes! Be gentle!!! If you can’t be helpful then just zip it.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:23 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Op asked a question.

Hatzlocha Op

I was not trying to be mean but I was saying this because I am really tired of people assuming everyone in CA is rich, has a mansion, a pool etc and is able to pay for someone's vacation. But sorry- I live in an apartment like most people I know. I dont have a yard to myself let alone any extra space anywhere. But then we get collectors who get annoyed when we dont donate a lot. Or anything because we can't!
I get asked so often if I know of someone who can put them up for free in their home, a backhouse, spare apartment....
We have huge needs as a community and cannot support them all so please stop assuming we can donate whole vacations etc to others. Vacations arent a need. They are a want or a "would be helpful". Needs are food, basic clothing and basic shelter.
Tomchei Shabbos here needs more help and support. So many here cant afford their basic bills. Higher priorities than vacation are things like education and medical care.
Who will help me pay my Bills?I havent been on a real vacation in I dont know how long. Not even a local vacation (instead of one that needs an airplane). Seriously... vacations arent a need.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:39 am
Nowhere in OP post does it say she is looking for a vacation or pesach plans.

ETA I see it's posted in Pesach.

That still doesn't mean she is looking for a vacation.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:56 am
She’s allowed to ask.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 6:36 am
Wow I didnt expect such rude answers. I am not looking for a vacation and I do think I am allowed to ask. Sometimes I wish the women here would be a little more sensitive.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 6:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow I didnt expect such rude answers. I am not looking for a vacation and I do think I am allowed to ask. Sometimes I wish the women here would be a little more sensitive.

I agree with you and I'm sorry. But your OP does come across like you're looking for a free vacation. Is there a reason you want to be in California over elsewhere? Is there an organization or do you have friends in your city that can help you out?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics