Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Let’s talk about the parasha

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 9:48 am
Here is the idea, every week we post something what we have learned of the parasha ha’shavua.

So we start of with mishpatim! What did you learn about the parsha?!

Java

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 9:50 am
Nothing Wink I usually don't even know what parsha it is until my husband says a dvar torah on shabbos! I really envy you ppl who have time to learn once in a while, I can't remember the last time I learned anything

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 9:52 am
My daughter came home from playgroup earlier this week, and said, "We learned a new song!!!"
(For those of you who do not know, this is classic Uncle Moishy.)

Uptown, downtown, all around the town
It's kosher all day long
And we will never ever ever
Eat milk and meat together
So come on and sing the kosher song
Lalalalalalala...

Good shabbos! Very Happy

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 10:34 am
I love this thread. Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute now but I will follow!

Conscience

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 10:40 am
We started with a hard parsha!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:02 am
I know what the parsha is because my niece posts the dessert she made with her kids that’s related to the parsha, but this week she made a carriage cake for her nephews bris or something. Dont know

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:28 am
A very quick thought, and distilled even quicker because of time constraints.
The parasha starts with eved Ivri, which is such a come-down from the incredibly elevated place of Matan Torah. So I've heard that this is to teach us that this is exactly what the Torah is for: to interface with the down to earth nitty gritty of life through the prism of Torah.

On OU Torah, Torat Imecha Parsha, Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner said this, I think largely based on Rabbi Zev Leff but I wasn't focusing for a minute here and there (kitchen and dryer noise, etc.; it is erev Shabbos Wink ). The eved Ivri has his ear lobe pierced since his ear heard at Har Sinai 1) We are only to be servants to Hashem, not voluntarily continue as servants to people; 2) Don't steal, which is how he got into this situation to begin with.

The deeper point is: do we hear and internalize messages? 2 people can hear the same thing but only will act on it. (She didn't mention this but there's a great story about people waiting for an interview to become some sort of submarine encrypter or something. No time now.)

This is the nishma: internalizing the deeper message.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 8:41 am
Teruma and zachor anything to share?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 8:49 am
I'm making salad with two kinds of cabbage for the keruvim. (Bad Hebrew pun.)

One major issue surrounding the Mishkan is when Hashem commanded it to be built - before or after חטא העגל. Rashi says after, and the Rambam says it was before, as it appears in the Torah. But it's all repeated after חטא העגל.

So was the Mishkan always the plan, or was it commanded only after the people sinned and showed that they needed some kind of physical connection to Hashem?

That's something to discuss at the table.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 5:48 pm
Any ideas about tetzaveh?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational