Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is it really bad if we go to bed, don't wait up?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:03 pm
My older son's are out now at their purim activity in school (we're in lockdown so they just have something in school this year) and they're finishing really late. We're both exhausted, I'm newly pregnant, my dh is already in bed bc he's not feeling great from fasting, doesn't cope with late nights anyway.
They're 13, and almost 12. They have a mobile on them, and my bil is bringing them home. We told them we'd be asleep when they get home, they should just lock the door behind them and we'll hear all about it in the morning. I'm feeling bad to go to bed but can't keep my eyes open.

Is it really bad?

mirror

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:15 pm
No, it's understandable. They're old enough to understand.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:15 pm
My opinion: Relax and go to sleep. Everything is under control.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:18 pm
If it were me, I’d sleep on the couch and then when they get home I can sleep soundly in my own bed. I can’t relax too much anyway when not everyone is accounted for at the end of the day. But I’m a little over the top that way.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:22 pm
When I was a kid (teenager coming home late) we were required to leave a note taped to my parents door so they knew we were home if they got up in the middle of the night.

violet1

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:26 pm
I would go to bed, but tell them to come into my room or knock on my door and let me know they are home.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:28 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
When I was a kid (teenager coming home late) we were required to leave a note taped to my parents door so they knew we were home if they got up in the middle of the night.

Lol I can go into their room to check on them, they sleep altogether with my 8 year old ds. The door is open so I can have a quick peek to see if they're in their beds.

keym

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 6:30 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
If it were me, I’d sleep on the couch and then when they get home I can sleep soundly in my own bed. I can’t relax too much anyway when not everyone is accounted for at the end of the day. But I’m a little over the top that way.

That's me.
I doze off on the couch with my phone nearby until all the kids are home.
I also stay in clothing in case they call that their ride fell through and they need me to pick them up.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 7:21 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

That is not over the top. It good parenting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 7:27 pm
Phew I just heard them come in. I couldn't sleep, they got home about 45 mins later than the expected time. I was so worried. They weren't answering the phone, I think it was on silent, and my bil wasn't texting me back.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 9:18 pm
violet1 wrote:
I would go to bed, but tell them to come into my room or knock on my door and let me know they are home.

This is what I do. Otherwise I spend half the night trying to force myself to get out of bed to check if they're home, but I'm half asleep so I can't get out of bed. Eventually I get up and check on them and then I cant fall back asleep and I end up exhausted the next day.

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 9:39 pm
violet1 wrote:

I'm 34 live with my parents and do this when I come home even in the middle of the week and I'm just coming in from a late night at work

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 10:02 pm
I've heard a curfew-check method using an old-school alarm clock. parent sets clock for the time the kid is supposed to be home by, kid shuts it off when they return on time. if kid doesn't return and shut it off, parent hears alarm and wakes up to check on things. plan to give that method a try when the time comes...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 26 2021, 3:32 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I've heard a curfew-check method using an old-school alarm clock. parent sets clock for the time the kid is supposed to be home by, kid shuts it off when they return on time. if kid doesn't return and shut it off, parent hears alarm and wakes up to check on things. plan to give that method a try when the time comes...

That's a great idea! I'll keep it in mind for next time Smile thanks. They had a great time. Their mum is exhausted but never mind. Maybe I'll get a nap in later!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics