Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Please help me find an ehrlich yeshiva in Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 2:40 pm
Currently my son is Stolin since nursery.

We love it for the beautiful, simple ehrilichkeit of the student and parent body. no one is fancy or showing off. everyone is there to raise zeese kids in the way of Torah.

but we're not so crazy about the academics of the English program as it is a chassidish school. he is also in a larger class and it would be so beautiful if he could have a little bit more attention of a smaller class (he lost his father as a toddler he's doing great but extra love is good)

we were trying to find an alternative, interviewed at torah vodaath and veretzky. we loved the staff at torah vodaath from the top down, but the student body was zees but a little too cool for us (name brand sneakers, longer hair ). veretsky was bichlal not a match, the principal took one look at me and my husband and said 'what are you thinking?? keep your son in stolin."

we don't even know where to look next! Sad

help!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 2:48 pm
Torah Vodaath is a mix, you will find all types. Some classes have more boys from Kensington that are simpler. Perhaps they would share the class lists with you so you can see where you’d fit in. Havarah in YTV is not Chasidish though. Whereas in Veretsky they do speak with a Chasidish havarah.

naomi2

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 2:52 pm
The cheder or the mir are more yeshivish than the schools you mentioned. I don't know how their academics are or how they compare to stolin though. I am very sorry for your loss and I wish you and your son the very best in life.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 2:52 pm
Yeshiva of Brooklyn would probably have smaller class sizes than Stolin and is also very plain and simple with a decent secular education but I'm not familiar with the staff.

Mir, The Cheder and Tiferas Elimelech also may be closer to want you want

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 2:53 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Torah Vodaath is a mix, you will find all types. Some classes have more boys from Kensington that are simpler. Perhaps they would share the class lists with you so you can see where you’d fit in. Havarah in YTV is not Chasidish though. Whereas in Veretsky they do speak with a Chasidish havarah.

Stolin doesn't have a Chasidish havarah either

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:09 pm
OP - thank you for all the responses. My brother sends his boys to the Cheder, they're so happy but things seem a little too fancy for us there too after speaking with him. they give out a lot of prizes and wow the kids a lot. we want like that old-school simplicity. moms in short sheitels, fathers driving hondas. kids in baggier pants, velvet kippot etc. joy of yidishkeit and a removal from trendiness, and from secular culture like Netflix (not judging I grew up with TV. just what I want in terms of the student-body). and a really warm staff and decent English academics - so if he wanted to get a college degree later he'd be prepared.

Is mir like that? I heard some nice things about it.

I'm scared I might be describing a unicorn

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:10 pm
Speaking from experience, you’ll have a hard time getting into any non-chasidish yeshiva.
The yeshiva administrations size parents up, and if you don’t have the right “look”, they become suspicious.
They think you’re weird if you want to enroll your children for a secular education.
Sorry
BTDT

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:12 pm
Based on your last post, If that’s your priority, you’re best off staying in Stolin.
You won’t find that in a Flatbush yeshiva.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:29 pm
You need to suppliment the English. If you are happy in a Yeshiva, don't go anywhere. Buy workbooks for math and reading and about science subjects and history. If a child likes to read, they can get a very adequate education. Of course, read everything first.
Wishing you nachas and hatzlacha.

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:50 pm
There’s a learning center in BP for boys where they teach them proper English, I know many boys who’ve gone there, it’s an option if you want to keep your son in stolin

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 5:05 pm
Not being happy with the English academics is not a reason to take a boy out of a good school. My brothers were in a regular chassidish cheder and they all learnt English with a private teacher several times a week. Many people do that.
Vein has a better English program than other chassidish cheders, but the parent body/students don't seem what you're looking for.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 8:03 pm
oneofakind wrote:
You need to suppliment the English. If you are happy in a Yeshiva, don't go anywhere. Buy workbooks for math and reading and about science subjects and history. If a child likes to read, they can get a very adequate education. Of course, read everything first.
Wishing you nachas and hatzlacha.

I feel the same way. I'm not chasiddish and my school really is trying but the afternoons seem to fall apart and be a disaster all around. They really do try. But the kids are tired and act out by the time afternoon rolls around and many teachers might know their material but don't have good classroom management.

So I supplement for my child.

The bare minimum is to make sure they know how to read non-fiction and can write expository essays. Math and science should be at least at grade level even better if they are naturally interested and continue to pursue on their own.

And any kid that loves to read will absorb a lot of information naturally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics