Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is this not nice?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:22 pm
I'm going away for Purim and leaving today. we'll return after shabbos.

Is it rude to leave a sign on my door that no one should leave mishloach manos on my doorstep? it will just attract animals...

I told most friends that I won't be home and hopefully everyone will be smart enough not to leave anything for me if they see we are not home but I really don't' want food sitting at my door for 2 days.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is it rude to leave a sign on my door that no one should leave mishloach manos on my doorstep? it will just attract animals...

I told most friends that I won't be home and hopefully everyone will be smart enough not to leave anything for me if they see we are not home but I really don't' want food sitting at my door for 2 days.

IMNSHO, its a bad idea. Basically telling the neighborhood burglars to make themselves at home nad help themselves to your stuff.

Pay a neighbor kid to collect all the MM tomorrow afternoon.

laykee

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:25 pm
Enjoy your trip. Don't think it is rude, but you might consider asking a neighbor to 'collect' the manot that might be at your door, before shabbos and you'll get it when you return. This way freinds who want to give you mishloach manot will still have that opportunity. We do that when we go away.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
IMNSHO, its a bad idea. Basically telling the neighborhood burglars to make themselves at home nad help themselves to your stuff.

Pay a neighbor kid to collect all the MM tomorrow afternoon.

I wouldn't write 'I'm not home'
I'd just do somethign like this

'a frielichen purim, sorry we missed you!! please don't leave food at the door.

its really busy day. I'm not sure whom I can ask to check my doorstep before shabbos...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:28 pm
This may be a bit far fetched but perhaps if you have one of those hard plastic Costco outdoor bins with the covers (people use them for their outdoor toys, boots etc) you can put a sign on that and request that people leave their manot in there. Or you can borrow one...

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:35 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
This may be a bit far fetched but perhaps if you have one of those hard plastic Costco outdoor bins with the covers (people use them for their outdoor toys, boots etc) you can put a sign on that and request that people leave their manot in there. Or you can borrow one...

I've seen people do this with rubbermaid tubs.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:41 pm
It’s a bad idea because you are announcing that you are not home. Not safe.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I've seen people do this with rubbermaid tubs.

great idea!!! I have extras in my basement.

thanks!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 2:18 pm
When I went away last year I asked a neighbor to take inside for me. She has access to my house so she put it in for me. Also put into my freezer anything that needed to be placed in there.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Only if you can leave the note in Hebrew or yiddish. I think it's considerate - not rude - to let people know anything they leave at your door will likely be ruined. But to announce to the world that you're not at home all weekend? Not smart in this day and age.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 8:12 pm
It's ok to ask a neighbor to collect anything, just like you'd ask a neighbor to take in your mail or packages while you are away. Since most of your friends know you will be away, you probably won't get much dropped off. On a Friday Purim, people cut back their deliveries anyway. Presumably someone close enough that keeps you on their list is up to date with you and has heard of your plans.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics