Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Bosses and mishloach manos

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 9:52 pm
I’ve been reading on here in the expenses of Purim thread about many gifting their bosses expensive MM. I work in a completely non Jewish place and gifting around holiday time is only done as ‘gifting down’, meaning you never spend on your bosses nor is it considered appropriate and you only gift to those who are below you on the ladder (which by definition also means they earn less). I gift the people who work for me but not those above me.
It’s a shame people feel the need to spend $$$ on the boss. Is this a widespread thing for people who work in Heimish companies ?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 9:55 pm
I don't have a Jewish boss, but I think of it as equivalent to holiday gifts in December--the boss should be giving the nice gifts out to the employees, not the other way around!

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 10:18 pm
last year my co worker asked me if I wanted to chip in for shaloch manos and I said sure then she said it's $50 I said no way I don't make that much in an hour. I got something myself paid less than $10 and it looked great. I work hard for my money and yes I appreciate that I have my job and I like my job but I still have bills to pay and the $50 is a lot for me. So I did my own cheaper thing and guess what I still have my job and my bosses still appreciate me.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 10:20 pm
We all chipped in to buy for our bosses. It was just a few dollars.

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 10:21 pm
Shouldn’t the boss be giving you, and not the other way around ?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 10:29 pm
I had a frum boss for many years and never gave to, or received from him. I believe in gifting down, not up, and I also believe in keeping personal life separate from business life.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 11:06 pm
My DH works for a frum guy. He gives his boss and manager nice m”m. Every year. I think it’s hakaras hatov for giving a job. It doesn’t hurt...I consider it money well spent.

Most years they give yom tov bonuses pesach and succos.

I work a non-Jewish company. With no bonuses. My DH used to encourage me to give bottles of wine holiday season with a handwritten note. It’s his mindset to say thank you for my job since a year. I did it a few years and I think ppl really appreciated it. Now I just email my holiday greetings.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 11:10 pm
My boss gives unusually generous benefits and treats employees very well. For purim we all join and give a present, it's a once a year opportunity to show our appreciation for all the extra that he does.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 11:30 pm
I live oot in a small community. So I know my bosses for years longer than I have worked for them. I've been giving them every year. And I give them the same I give everyone. I really can't remember if they give me.

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 26 2021, 4:44 pm
I just bring in the leftovers after purim and let everyone in the office partake.... Not that we got a lot this year.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Feb 26 2021, 5:08 pm
I just spoke to my DH about this. He has worked for both heimish and non Jewish companies . So did I. The heimish bosses are not like in the big corporate world. In many heimish , frum companies the bosses are often friends with their employees and are always there for their employees , when they have personal issues. For example , one of my bosses overheard me mention that I didn’t have cleaning help and the boss knew how many hours I worked for the company. She came over to me and gave me an envelope of money for me to use towards a cleaning lady because she wanted to make it easier for me. Giving these bosses gifts and fancy mishloach manos is really a form of hakaras hatov toward the people that employ them, give them parnassa and many times (not everyone) are also there for them in regard to their personal lives as well. You don’t receive the same type of treatment from a non Jewish boss and therefore what doesn’t make sense to do in one environment does make sense to do in another environment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics