Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O Are colors not tznius - thoughts on nail polish?
Previous  1  2

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 1:33 pm
I feel like red can be a certain statement in some communities. Some communities don't use polish at all, some do only light pink, some are fine with neutrals, don't do anything.
I do mostly neutrals but if I need to shake it up a bit I'll do a blue or whatever. I love a black mani with white French tips and I've done it once or twice but my husband HATES black nails and it's just not worth it. I don't do red.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 1:41 pm
essie14 wrote:
I live in Israel. Most of my community wears red nailpolish.
There is no rule that the entire country follows.

I meant in the chareidi /Yeshivish circles. That's where the OP sounded like she was frum. I was in a rush when posting and assumed it would be understand.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 2:05 pm
A problem with red (or dark colors) is that the tiniest chip shows and looks really bad. Lighter ones are less obvious. So could be there are women who in theory would wear red but practically just prefer not to.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 2:09 pm
So much of tznius is subjective. What works in one community might not work in another. What looks flashy on one person may look toned down on someone else.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:14 pm
I hate black, it's so goth looking.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:15 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I hate black, it's so goth looking.

I love black; it's so goth looking.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Feb 26 2021, 12:29 am
My manicure and my nail polish is my self esteem and sanity take that away and you will have much bigger problems than not keeping extreme chumras in tznius...

Besides its a gadlus but many younger women can dress all in black, not wear makeup or nailpolish and still manage to look and radiate trashy,..

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Feb 26 2021, 6:46 am
I think it started bec someone decided red nails look sxy and bais Yaakov girls shouldn’t wear things that make them look sxy. Beginning and end of it.
In some communities, red nails are considered sxy, therefore inappropriate, in Others they are not sxy therefore ok.
I’m personally on the fence, so I don’t wear them as wearing something in a community that considers it sxy seems provocative to me, and I’m not looking to make that statement.
(I wear other colors, those are considered ok)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Feb 26 2021, 2:20 pm
I believe that rules for the Royals in England include a “prohibition” of red nail polish. I think we can safely assume that it isn’t just BY that considers it not tznius.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Feb 26 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I very very seldom see frum women in red nail polish. I don't think it's very acceptable. It's not a refined look.

I think it depends on the community. To me red, and any classic color is very much refined looking. Blues, greens - or doing that weird thing where one nail on each hand is different from the rest - not so much.

But yes, I know in some circles wearing red polish is like hanging up a sign that you're open for business, lol!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Feb 26 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I believe that rules for the Royals in England include a “prohibition” of red nail polish. I think we can safely assume that it isn’t just BY that considers it not tznius.

No rules, just the Queen doesn't like it. It's just a personal preference. She doesn't like colors, at all, just clear.

But I thought we had debunked using the British Royal family as the arbiter of tznius rules on the latest tznius threads? A woman in a sleeveless low cut gown with clear polish vs a woman with long sleeves, high neckline, and red polish...the first one is a typical royal outfit at formal occasions and while it might look classy and elegant, it still wouldn't pass halachic standards. However, the latter is not breaking any halacha.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics