Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Google voice with obi200
1  2  Next

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 8:22 pm
does anyone know how to connect a landline to google voice with an obi200? I went to obitalk.com and tried adding my device, when I dial the number beginning with ** it says my device has been sent to the server but then nothing happens. what am I doing wrong?

Boca00

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 8:37 pm
Yes, I just did this. It was pretty complicated and no good tutorials online.
Firstly, are you using a work or personal email account? (Does it end in @gmail etc?) It needs to be a personal email account.

Next, in order to connect Google Voice to a landline, you need to first port a cell number to Google Voice. You can buy a prepaid sim (I got Verizon) and put it into a unlocked (or same company cell phone).
Next, call the phone company, activate the phone, get the cell number, and ask for your account number.
Then log in to Google Voice and pay $20 to port that cell number to Google Voice. You will need your account number from the phone company to do this.
It takes about 24 hours to port and then you can use it.
Log in to ObiTalk and connect it to yout Google Voice by clicking on the device and "connect to Google Voice".
Let me know if you have any questions.

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 8:51 pm
tysm!
I am using a personal email account. also, I already have a google number, its connected to my verizon landline. we can call out from the computer, from google.com/voice. and when ppl call in on the google number, it rings to my reg verizon line.
im trying to connect a landline with an obi so I dont have to call through the computer.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 8:58 pm
You have to give obi permission to access your Google voice account, have you done that? Do it by setup on sip 1 iirc

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 9:00 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You have to give obi permission to access your Google voice account, have you done that? Do it by setup on sip 1 iirc

how do I do that? dont I first need to add the device on obitalk.com?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 9:01 pm
It took me a to of tries to get it to work. Almost have up. But eventually it all connected.

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
It took me a to of tries to get it to work. Almost have up. But eventually it all connected.

you had trouble adding your obi device on obitalk? thats what im having troubel with.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 9:32 pm
Oh, so nothing to do with your GV number!
What do you see on your obitalk portal?

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 9:34 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Oh, so nothing to do with your GV number!
What do you see on your obitalk portal?

yay! I finally got the device to connec ton obitalk. now its not connecting to my google voice. how do I make the connection?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 9:57 pm
Press settings next to SP1
Use authentication to connect to GV, should be straightforward
You'll need to allow the obi device in GV

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:13 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Press settings next to SP1
Use authentication to connect to GV, should be straightforward
You'll need to allow the obi device in GV

where do I find that option?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:26 pm
When you connect it on obitalk, it asks you to connect your GV account and I think you do it then.

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:28 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
When you connect it on obitalk, it asks you to connect your GV account and I think you do it then.

so im doing all that in obitalk? I dont need to do anything on google voice?
I did all that, I guess ill just keep trying it again and again.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:50 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

I had the same experience. Was a massive pain in the neck and was only able to finally get it set up with customer support from obitalk (after at least a day of having no phone service). It’s been several years since and other than the initial start up aggravation, bH it’s really been smooth sailing.

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:57 pm
status says connecting, but its not connecting. I keep refreshing the page and trying again, but its not going.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 11:10 pm
Did you get a pop up to connect the account with Google voice? Pop-up blockers may stop that.

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 11:14 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Did you get a pop up to connect the account with Google voice? Pop-up blockers may stop that.

yes. and I confirm my email address and allow all access.
on the configuration screen, by sp1, it says configuring (w the turning circle) and then it stops and says "connecting to 111.111.111.111" and that's all. but its not connected.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:39 am
That does not sound right, that IP is not a normal internal IP.
Do you have a modem and router separate from each other? Where's the obi plugged into?

happy chick

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:46 am
those are not the real numbers it says. its a series of numbers, im guessing for my computer or internet.
I do have separate router and modem. its connected to the router. obitalk is showing status as green, and both lights are green on the obi box. its so strange, why is it not connecting? im guessing its something dumb that im doing wrong, but I cant figure it out.

Boca00

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:15 am
happy chick wrote:
tysm!
I am using a personal email account. also, I already have a google number, its connected to my verizon landline. we can call out from the computer, from google.com/voice. and when ppl call in on the google number, it rings to my reg verizon line.
im trying to connect a landline with an obi so I dont have to call through the computer.

Ok great!
I believe you can't just connect a regular Google voice number to obitalk. I tried but was only able to port a cell number to Google voice and use that number. In Dan Deal's post about obitalk, he mentions you need to do that.

If someone has done so using just a regular Google voice number, I would love to know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics