Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby Name Sarah
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:28 pm
We’re iyh having a girl. Do you feel baby name Sarah is too generic? Also how should I write it for legal docs?
Sarah
Sara
Suri
Sury
Surie

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:34 pm
I always thought this name was a little...vanilla... but I wanted to use it to name for my grandmother and it has really grown on me. I did add a middle name though.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:35 pm
Sarah is a classic. My Sarah is with an H because it has a hey in Hebrew

WhatFor

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 10:44 pm
A secular Sarah I once worked with told me that the Jewish Sarah is always with an "h" and non Jews do without. That was her opinion, not sure if true.

Suri is also a cute name, and thanks to Katie Holmes, generally easy to recognize and pronounce outside of the Jewish world. However, if you go with Suri, people aren't going to assume it's a nickname for "Sarah". In the secular world afaik it's a completely different name. If you plan on calling her Suri, it might be easier for her though.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 11:02 pm
WhatFor wrote:
A secular Sarah I once worked with told me that the Jewish Sarah is always with an "h" and non Jews do without. That was her opinion, not sure if true.

I think that might have been the case some time ago, but not anymore. I've had a few non Jewish colleagues with the name Sarah, in their 20s and 30s. Also, many non Jewish clients (I work with kids) named Sarah. All with an "h" at the end. It's pretty popular, as are other Biblical names such as Rachel, Leah, and Hannah.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Feb 27 2021, 11:06 pm
WhatFor wrote:

Untrue and silly. LOL

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We’re iyh having a girl. Do you feel baby name Sarah is too generic? Also how should I write it for legal docs?
Sarah
Sara
Suri
Sury
Surie

Arent these all nicknames for the name sarah? if so, why would u write suri, sury, or surie on legal documents?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:28 am
Love the name but can’t use it myself unfortunately. I would say put Sarah or Sara on legal documents. Either one is fine, I see them about equally. How is Suri/Surie/Sury pronounced? Why not Sari?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 1:15 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I think that might have been the case some time ago, but not anymore. I've had a few non Jewish colleagues with the name Sarah, in their 20s and 30s. Also, many non Jewish clients (I work with kids) named Sarah. All with an "h" at the end. It's pretty popular, as are other Biblical names such as Rachel, Leah, and Hannah.

Where do you live? I don’t see those classical Biblical names amongst non-Jews these days.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 2:33 am
Soroh so it’s pronounced correctly.
Really just put Her regular name. Use the nickname everywhere else.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:53 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Where do you live? I don’t see those classical Biblical names amongst non-Jews these days.

On the east coast. In a fairly large city.
Just look up baby name lists of the past 15-20 years or so. It's not quite as trendy as it was (now the trend is unisex or very old fashioned names like Silas or Sadie) but it still exists. Other popular Biblical names I've come across with the children I've worked with include Abram, Miriam, Noah, Ruth, Samuel just off the top of my head. And no, these weren't kids who come from super religious Xtian backgrounds or anything.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:56 am
My nieces are named Sara and Sury on the birth certificates. If I had a daughter with this name I'd do Sarah on the birth certificate with the h because of the hei and I'd call the child Surele or Sura, as I do not particularly care for the name Sury since I think it ends up being pronounced shticky etc sometimes.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:58 am
I’m Sara. I rarely see the name spelled that way in the secular sphere. To me, Sarah is pronounced Sah-ruh and Sara is pronounced Suh-ruh. Please don’t spell it Soroh or Sora Can't Believe It

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:21 am
I'm a Sara. Pronounced in English Sar-rah.

In England growing up Sara was -sar-rah
And Sarah was pronounced Sare-rah

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:58 am
I like it and would consider giving it. Like another poster said, it's a little vanilla, but adding a more interesting middle name would make it appealing.

I'd spell it Sarah.

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 6:39 am
I love the name Sarah. It's beautiful, in sound and meaning

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 6:49 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I’m Sara. I rarely see the name spelled that way in the secular sphere. To me, Sarah is pronounced Sah-ruh and Sara is pronounced Suh-ruh. Please don’t spell it Soroh or Sora Can't Believe It

Curious, what's wrong with Sora/h? Seems like a good way to make the pronunciation clear. I've even seen Surah (for a more chassidish? Pronunciation)

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:53 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Curious, what's wrong with Sora/h? Seems like a good way to make the pronunciation clear. I've even seen Surah (for a more chassidish? Pronunciation)

Chassidish ppl usually do either English name or nickname on birth certificate, so they'd do Sara or Sury, Rachel or Ruchy, Rebecca or Rivky. They'll even do Judy instead of Judith (for a girl Yitty) or Bernie not Bernard for a Burich. It depends, but I have rarely seen Surah or Ruchels by Chasidim but maybe that's my own family.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:56 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

It just looks really ugly to me, and in my head I pronounce it Saw-ruh when I see it spelled that way. No need to reinvent the wheel for a name with an established spelling. It’s spelled Sara in English translations of Chumash too.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:37 am
I'm Sara legally and pronounced the English way.
The spelling is just what my parents preferred.
I have lots of friends who are Sara/Sarah and spelling has nothing to do with pronunciation. It's just a preference.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names